Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #196
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bone Broth 101

Yay for brothcicles! I always imagine little caped broth crusaders swooping in to repair my kids damaged cells immediately.

I don't eat them myself though

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
JenLovie (10-05-2012), Stiina (10-05-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #197
WingsOfTheMorning
Deactivated

WingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond repute

So how do you make this bone ketchup cause DD1 is in a serious ketchup phase?
WingsOfTheMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #198
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

Try googling "GAPS ketchup" I've even seen people talk about fermenting it. Wow how great for your gut health! I'm so not a ketchup person though.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
WingsOfTheMorning (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #199
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

GASP KETCHUP! YES I need to make ketchup!!!! I was going to use the recipe that is in my mom's old cookbook, but if there's a fermented one? sign me UP. Pip eats ketchup on everything and it makes me SO irritated :S

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

how about this one? http://nourishedandnurtured.blogspot...e-ketchup.html

I was going to use garden tomatoes, so I guess I could cook them down into a paste first and then follow this recipe.

The recipe I looked at in my mom's cookbook included boiling the vinegar with the spices in a cheese cloth, mixing it with tomatoes and then boiling to reduce. It seemed easy enough.

I like that this one has whey in it, though, and that it's fermented. I wonder if you could just add the crushed bones to it. Would they notice?

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

http://ournourishingroots.com/real-f...nted-ketchup/#

Similar but explained better I'm going to do this one. yipee!
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (10-05-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #200
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Coordinator View Post
Yay for brothcicles! I always imagine little caped broth crusaders swooping in to repair my kids damaged cells immediately.

I don't eat them myself though
Been wanting to poke you for a while. Are you doing beef/chicken for your broth? How the heck do you get the bones to sludge? What ones are you using?

I got a quartered femur and hip joint and some neck bones from a cow... and they're solid as rock after 7 days on simmer/boil. I gave up and bagged them.

2 Chicken carcasses and a bunch of wing tips- still solid after 4 days on simmer.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #201
Stiina
Rose Garden

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

For my beef bones, I had to dig the marrow out from inside the bone with a strong spoon. I don't know how anyone gets soft beef bones either. I mean, seriously, ELEVEN DAYS in the crock pot and mine were still very very hard.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #202
Barefoot
Climbing Rose

Now I'm standing here, my heart so full I can't explain.

Barefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant future

I went to the butcher the same day as finding this thread, and luckily for me, I live in an area that a lot of hippies frequent for their shopping. So the butcher had grass fed beef bones.

They are currently in my slow cooker with an onion, some carrots, celery, bay leaves and peppercorns and a glug of brown vinegar (we dont have ACV, I hope that is OK)

They have been there for 24 hours so far and I have been very good not to lift the lid.

DS has a nasty cough this afternoon and I am wondering if I should give him some? Is it good enough yet?

How much longer will it need to cook for?

TTC a second child since 2011
Giving up, with peace granted by God.
(Trying IVF one more time - I got an inheritance )
It worked!!! But then failed

~

~ Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says
"Oh Crap, She's up!" ~
Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #203
Stiina
Rose Garden

it'll be good now I hope your son likes it!!
Any vinegar is fine
You can cook it and pull out a quart every day (straining it through a coffee filter). When it starts getting paler, it's time to stop.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #204
lalaithnil
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

lalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond repute

Barefoot - your DS feels better soon! I'd for sure give him lots of broth.

I felt terrible yesterday and slept and slept and slept, and needed to drink something, so I heated up some chicken bone broth. I felt SOOOO much better afterward and then slept almost all night long! That hasn't happened for months!

Bone broth is a miracle food! I need to start drinking it daily, and make sure I have TONS stored up for after baby girl is born.

lalaithnil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lalaithnil For This Useful Post:
Stiina (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #205
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Does the broth have to be strained? I just ladled out what I wanted without straining it at all. I didn't strain any of it through a coffee filter even at the end, just used my regular pasta strainer.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
marigold (10-08-2012), Stiina (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #206
WildFlower
Banned

WildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond repute

I have a dumb question. Do youh ave to use grassfed or organic beef/poultry bones? Or could i use a rotisserie chicken from walmart? I know grassfed or organic is healthier. But I can't find any. I am wondering if using a regular chicken carcas would be dangerous, like would nasty hormones or something come out of their bones or anything dangerous? Or would it be the same as the mean? Like if I am ok eating the meat the bones aren't going to be worse?
WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WildFlower For This Useful Post:
marigold (10-08-2012), Stiina (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #207
Stiina
Rose Garden

Don't strain it if there's nothing chunky in it. I like to strain mine cause there's always little chunks of meat and bay leaf etc, in it.

Wildflower - from my knowledge the bones of conventional chicken are going to be fine. Sure, grassfed etc. is better (*ahem* see my signature - I am very passionate about it) but conventional meat isn't going to kill you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #208
Barefoot
Climbing Rose

Now I'm standing here, my heart so full I can't explain.

Barefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant future

Thank you.

TTC a second child since 2011
Giving up, with peace granted by God.
(Trying IVF one more time - I got an inheritance )
It worked!!! But then failed

~

~ Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says
"Oh Crap, She's up!" ~
Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #209
3boysforme
Deactivated

It's the Peanut!

3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute

Y'all. I made a gumbo with my chicken broth..oh my goodness. It was so so good. The flavor was so deep.

I have really not liked gumbo since going GF. Rice flour doesn't make the best roux, but adding the broth made it much better.
3boysforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #210
raining_kisses
Deactivated

..a little child, born yesterday, A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed... ~"Hymn to Mercury"

raining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond repute

I made chicken and dumpling with THREE day bone broth today, and by the time it cooled it was solid. If I could slide it out of the bowl tomorrow it would probably look like a jello mold with potatoes and dumplings and chicken instead of fruit. It definitley make things thicker.
raining_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raining_kisses For This Useful Post:
lalaithnil (10-07-2012), shekinah (10-08-2012)