Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #61
SortaCrunchy
Climbing Rose

SortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Pearl supporters so hostile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoJGJ View Post
well her argument was that she was NOT raised this way... but...
Oh. Sorry.

But still. Do adults who were raised under this material not struggle with disobedience? Have they somehow attained a higher level of godliness than, say, the Apostle Paul who confessed that he didn't do the things he knew he should and he did the things he knew he shouldn't? Or struggling with sin not talked about amongst adults in this subculture? I'm asking these as sincere questions.

There are areas in my life where I struggle with obeying God's word. Like, daily. It's never occurred to me to blame the way my parents raised me.

I don't know. It's making my brain hurt to try to understand this theology.

Homemaking freelance writer & author passionate about gentle mothering, natural living, social justice and great coffee. Married to my college sweetheart and the SortaCrunchy mama to my big girls (8 and 5) and brand new (2/7/13) twin boys.

Co-author of Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year

SortaCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SortaCrunchy For This Useful Post:
NewLeaf (02-25-2010), sweetpeasmommy (02-25-2010)
Old 02-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #62
keepinghome
Rose Bush

keepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the rough

subbing... I just experienced the hostility.

There are some great responses here... I want to come back to read them all!
and Titus born Dec 2011
keepinghome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:42 PM   #63
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Crystal, your thoughts in this thread have been super helpful to me. Bless you!

Last edited by Zooey; 02-25-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Zooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #64
Treenahurricane
Rose Trellis

Struggling with life

Treenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond repute

A supporter has surfaced on my facebook. Declaring that every child needs a whip as they get older.

Treenahurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #65
NewLeaf
Deactivated
I support GCM!

NewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond reputeNewLeaf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinzluvsGJ View Post
A supporter has surfaced on my facebook. Declaring that every child needs a whip as they get older.
NewLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #66
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #67
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
Neither is a bamboo sliver unless you're sticking it under someone's fingernails.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mrs_Chris* View Post
I wish somehow he could go to jail. I wish his publisher would be convicted by the spirit and stop publishing his trash.. I wish more than anything that he could be stopped.

I just don't know how to handle these big feelings of shame, and guilt for what is taught by him in Christ's name.
This song helped me.
http://artists.letssingit.com/selah-...-glory-5qdbdsc
Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maggirayne For This Useful Post:
erinee (02-27-2010)
Old 02-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #68
Treenahurricane
Rose Trellis

Struggling with life

Treenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond repute

I was disturbed while looking at their facebook page today to discover that Debi Pearl is writing another book. She is writing a book for single women about marriage. Because you know, CTBHHM isn't enough to get a woman to be a doormat in a marriage, she needs to prep women to be that in a courtship, too.

Treenahurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #69
mwwr
Deactivated

It is good to be Queen!

mwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was disturbed while looking at their facebook page today to discover that Debi Pearl is writing another book. She is writing a book for single women about marriage. Because you know, CTBHHM isn't enough to get a woman to be a doormat in a marriage, she needs to prep women to be that in a courtship, too.
mwwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #70
Synesthesia
Rose Garden

Synesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond repute

I am worn out arguing with these people. About 90% of my stomach aches come from pure stress. I cannot understand how people think any of this stuff is reasonable!
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush, The Fog

Wielder of the Katana of Lepidoptera and General Randomness.
Synesthesia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Synesthesia For This Useful Post:
NewLeaf (02-28-2010), Treenahurricane (02-28-2010)
Old 02-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #71
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
you can delete the comment

you can also report them to facebook
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #72
ShiriChayim
Rose Garden

Rock on!!!

ShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaCrunchy View Post
Oh. Sorry.

But still. Do adults who were raised under this material not struggle with disobedience? Have they somehow attained a higher level of godliness than, say, the Apostle Paul who confessed that he didn't do the things he knew he should and he did the things he knew he shouldn't? Or struggling with sin not talked about amongst adults in this subculture? I'm asking these as sincere questions.

There are areas in my life where I struggle with obeying God's word. Like, daily. It's never occurred to me to blame the way my parents raised me.

I don't know. It's making my brain hurt to try to understand this theology.
There are people who believe it is possible to achieve sinless perfection in this lifetime. It is a horrible life to live, filled with legalism and fear. My experience with it is that it takes a LOT of mental twisting effort to distract from the truth of yourself. For example, "I didn't lose my temper, that was righteous anger aimed at sinful and depraved behavior!" It's very very sick
: ds15yo- the performer, ds14yo- the gamer, ds 12yo- the adventurer, and dd 10yo-the dynamo
Missing my little Malachi David and Hannah Danielle, in Jesus' arms
Check out my blog

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
*Dr Seuss*

ShiriChayim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShiriChayim For This Useful Post:
momyshaver (02-28-2010), SortaCrunchy (02-27-2010)
Old 02-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #73
keepinghome
Rose Bush

keepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the roughkeepinghome is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiriChayim View Post
There are people who believe it is possible to achieve sinless perfection in this lifetime. It is a horrible life to live, filled with legalism and fear. My experience with it is that it takes a LOT of mental twisting effort to distract from the truth of yourself. For example, "I didn't lose my temper, that was righteous anger aimed at sinful and depraved behavior!" It's very very sick
Is Michael Pearl one of those people? I thought I had heard that about him, but I can't seem to find anything to verify it. sounds like him though.
and Titus born Dec 2011
keepinghome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #74
ShiriChayim
Rose Garden

Rock on!!!

ShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond repute

: ds15yo- the performer, ds14yo- the gamer, ds 12yo- the adventurer, and dd 10yo-the dynamo
Missing my little Malachi David and Hannah Danielle, in Jesus' arms
Check out my blog

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
*Dr Seuss*

ShiriChayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #75
relizabeth
Deactivated

Proverbs are proverbial.

relizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepinghome View Post
Is Michael Pearl one of those people? I thought I had heard that about him, but I can't seem to find anything to verify it. sounds like him though.
He is.
relizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote