Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:33 PM   #16
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My dd will never take "advanced math"

Does she enjoy reading? Algebra Unplugged is an great book. It's algebraic thinking without any problems. It's perfect for those with math anxiety. Dragon Box app is another that comes to mind.

As far as college, if she wants to do that, she may need to pass a basic mathematics course but there are places where she won't need to pass algebra unless she wants to major in the natural or applied sciences. Starting at a community college would probably be a great idea as they have the staff and experience to help people who may be behind in one subject or another. (Plus it saves a ton of money.)
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (09-01-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 05:46 PM   #17
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

At the high school and I work out, if a student needs modifications, then their high school diploma Mark's at so. If it's any consolation, my husband hated math all through high school and even College when he went to college ten years after graduating high school. He is now a middle school teacher and loves teaching math. And his students have told me that he's the best math teacher they've ever had. All this from a guy that took two years to pass a basic math class in college.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
bananacake (09-01-2018), milkmommy (08-31-2018), Soliloquy (08-31-2018), tempus vernum (09-04-2018), ValiantJoy07 (08-31-2018), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (09-02-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 07:04 PM   #18
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I would do a consumer math and maybe a math education credit. Logic can also count as math. You could try statistics, too. As long as you do enough math credits you should be good. But also you should probably work a lot on what is going to be on the act or sat if you think she might want to go to college.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Llee (09-01-2018), mamacat (09-01-2018), milkmommy (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 05:55 AM   #19
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I have read about music math classes as well in highschool she might like that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #20
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBlueKiwi View Post
You may be ok with it, but lacking certain math courses effectively makes about 75% of well paying careers out of her reach. It could greatly impact her future.

What does the high school have to say about this, or is she HSing?

However, this means nothing if it keeps her out of well paying careers.
While I appreciate what you're trying to say here, is having a well-paying career and making sure our children can have one a main goal of homeschooling? We certainly should do everything we can to set them up for success, but it's also OK for her to work toward better math efficiency later if she really needs/wants to

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #21
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
While I appreciate what you're trying to say here, is having a well-paying career and making sure our children can have one a main goal of homeschooling? We certainly should do everything we can to set them up for success, but it's also OK for her to work toward better math efficiency later if she really needs/wants to
It should be a main goal of any kind of schooling. There's plenty of research that suggests that people are happier and less anxious when they earn a certain base level of income and are not scratching from paycheck to paycheck. An education that blocks off 75% of the possibility for her doing this isn't a successful education.

D has shared her frustration at living paycheck to paycheck. I can't imagine she wants that for her daughter.

Later, when one has to work 2-3 poorly paid jobs just to make the rent, would seem to be a much harder time to address it.

Thankfully she and her family still have time to address it now.

Go Team Lioness!!!

Last edited by FlyingBlueKiwi; 09-01-2018 at 08:24 PM.
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (09-04-2018), milkmommy (09-01-2018), Quiteria (09-05-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 08:34 PM   #22
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Her DH is a PhD University professor. They don't lack educational achievement.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
bananacake (09-02-2018), FlyingBlueKiwi (09-02-2018), graciousmomma (09-02-2018), milkmommy (09-01-2018), mommychem (09-05-2018), tempus vernum (09-04-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #23
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
My goal is to get her to a level where she can pursue a higher\college levels of she wants. If it is she will be able to although the journey may be tougher. I want to build her confidence..
bananacake (09-02-2018), FlyingBlueKiwi (09-02-2018), graciousmomma (09-02-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 09:04 PM   #24
Barefoot
Climbing Rose

Now I'm standing here, my heart so full I can't explain.

Barefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant futureBarefoot has a brilliant future

There is an app called dragon box which is basically algebra without the maths.

Also my DS loves the maths game Prodigy it's at their level and you can see all the stuff the do and set it for things they are good at to increase confidence. It's also free.

TTC a second child since 2011
Giving up, with peace granted by God.
(Trying IVF one more time - I got an inheritance )
It worked!!! But then failed

~

~ Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says
"Oh Crap, She's up!" ~
Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post:
knitlove (09-02-2018), Quiteria (09-05-2018), tempus vernum (09-04-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 10:27 PM   #25
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW I in no way want her to give up on math. However I also must face some reality. She is probably working on around a 6th 7th grade level math wise. She also gets crippling math anxiety to such a degree it can affect everything. Were working on that including with medication but its a "new" step and wont jsut be an over night fix or an easy one.
She is 15 and in 10th grade, while I know she doesn't HAVE to graduate in 2 more years I still have to be realistic on how long she can take. She is one level in all other courses though yes I do have some concern with say her Sciences as we progress..
Id like her to do a consumer math type course because I honestly believe it includes some great skills for anyone to have. "Math" wise I'm hoping to have her in Algebra 1 by next fall, then probably Geometry we may or may not get to Algebra 2..
Its not that I don't believe she could ever do Advanced algebra or above heck she might find she does quite well in those. Its that I don't think she is going to reach those levels in the the next 2-3 years.

SO my main questions was if there was some specific math requirement she HAD to meet in order for me to issue her a diploma? SO my title was maybe a bit misleading apologies for that.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
There is an app called dragon box which is basically algebra without the maths.

Also my DS loves the maths game Prodigy it's at their level and you can see all the stuff the do and set it for things they are good at to increase confidence. It's also free.
SHE actully does REALLY well with the dragon box app..

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Quote:
It should be a main goal of any kind of schooling. There's plenty of research that suggests that people are happier and less anxious when they earn a certain base level of income and are not scratching from paycheck to paycheck. An education that blocks off 75% of the possibility for her doing this isn't a successful education.

D has shared her frustration at living paycheck to paycheck. I can't imagine she wants that for her daughter.

Later, when one has to work 2-3 poorly paid jobs just to make the rent, would seem to be a much harder time to address it.

Thankfully she and her family still have time to address it now.
I have no idea what one considers a decent paycheck. We gross about $15,000-$20,000 above our states median income.. Medical cost and mandatory retirements take up a gigantic cut of this but we aren't like struggling to put food on or pay utilities of mortgage. We have had hard times and honestly are still trying to "rebuild" from those hard days. We've faced some harsh medical issues that haven't always made life easier. It is not though from a lack of education though.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #26
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It should be a main goal of any kind of schooling.
OK, thanks for being honest about your opinion. I totally disagree, especially in a situation where pushing a subject is causing the emotional turmoil as it is here. If the emotional turmoil is managed, then she can later work toward higher math efficiency.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (09-02-2018), tempus vernum (09-04-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #27
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
I have no idea what one considers a decent paycheck. We gross about $15,000-$20,000 above our states median income.. Medical cost and mandatory retirements take up a gigantic cut of this but we aren't like struggling to put food on or pay utilities of mortgage. We have had hard times and honestly are still trying to "rebuild" from those hard days. We've faced some harsh medical issues that haven't always made life easier. It is not though from a lack of education though.
Agreed. And I'm not saying she needs a Master's, or even necessarily a Bachelor's. There are jobs all over going begging because the person needs 2 years of technical education. However, the basic high school triad of Algebra 1/Geometry/Algebra 2 is pretty crucial.

Has she ever tried either Khan Academy or Life of Fred?

Your particular region of the country is sort of interesting (and not in a good way) because the state very realistically came to educators during the great recession and got educators to give up lots of things during that period to stay employed. However, once things improved, the Tea Party was in office and didn't recoup the educators for their sacrifice because they felt rock bottom low taxes were more important. That said, imagine where you would be if your DH were working two low paying jobs for 60+ hours a week.

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
Llee (09-02-2018), Quiteria (09-05-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 05:33 AM   #28
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Each student and person can only work within their abilities. Accomadations can and should be used. Sounds like you have a good handle on what her level i s and what works so she doesnt shut down.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (09-03-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 01:31 PM   #29
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I’m w banana cake about education... but I don’t agree w the idea that someone cannot get a high paying career without high school algebra/alg 2/geometry . that’s naive in my opinion

My dd1 just started technical college for a decent high paying healthcare career (surgical tech- if she wants to progress and get certified for specific types of surgeries, within a few years, she can be making $90k plus). . For math, She only needed alg 1 for admittance to her program . If she didn’t have that (she took alg 1, alg 2 and geometry), they would’ve allowed her to start w remedial math while she takes her gen eds .

She didn’t take high school chemistry. I was really concerned but they don’t care she just has to take it in college (high school or college level chemistry). From what I can tell community college/technical college is the answer for those who are slower learners or not good at specific subjects. Flexible w remedial options And so much chealer than regular university anyways.

My dd’s Entire 70 credit associates will be around $10k for tuition.

And many many healthcare degrees at this school have exact same entrance requirements. I don’t know much about their non healthcare programs but they have a great reputation— From what I can tell if u want to be in a program, they will help you figure out how to do it and they have a very high job placement rate

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
bananacake (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #30
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
I’m w banana cake about education... but I don’t agree w the idea that someone cannot get a high paying career without high school algebra/alg 2/geometry . that’s naive in my opinion
I agree. My friend up the street has her associate's and makes $30/hr as an MRI tech. That's $60k+ a year. Around here, blue collar jobs (like plumbers) make more than that

The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (09-04-2018)