Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Seriously, dog? NO sense at all.

We have two cats, an older pair of bengals. Retired breeding pair, attached to each other like a long-married couple. Had them since our first year together, so they're a definite part of our lives.

Last month, I adopted a chihuahua. He's great, sweet, and all around awesome.

However I feared that my cats, the female in particular, would wallop him into oblivion. They each have a good five pounds on him, and all their teeth and claws, unlike his gaptoothed, tiny, buggy-eyed self. I introduced them slowly, they just saw each other through a glass door the first two weeks, during which the two cats threatened his life on a regular basis. We've had harmony since those two weeks, they are neutral towards him, never even hiss or swat. He is beneath their notice.

Except. Now Mr. Tiny Unwise Dog is challenging them. DH was holding our male cat tonight, and the dog crept up the back of the couch to stare him down. Ended with the cat (Lou) hissing and spitting, and DH yelping for rescue before they started to fight on top of him.

I was reading on the bed and noticed my darling girl, Kashi, had hopped up near me. Koda, the dog, staretd staring her down and tried to rush her. I scolded him he settled down. I explained to him that she would end him, he rolled on his back. She glared and held her ground.

Seriously. This is going to end in tears.

Little dog, THIS has seven pounds on you and was a stud cat. He knows how to roll. You? Um. You have... well. You have gumption, but you are foolish.

Any ideas to head it off? He's tried I don't know how many times to start something tonight.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seriously, dog? NO sense at all.

Okay, okay so it's really not funny but I can't help it I admire the gumption of the wee bug eyed one to take on a those cats...but ah, the lack of wisdom.

How long has he been in your home now? It may be that the honeymoon period is over and he is wanting to figure out if he really is the low man on the totem pole. When your cats have been confronted by dogs before have then gone into full attack mode or do they start with a few well placed whacks on the nose of the offending dog as a warning?

Does he know "leave it"? If he does I would start using it when he is showing interest in the cats. If he doesn't know it I would start really working on teaching him that.
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amber For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (04-25-2012), racheepoo (05-01-2012), Zooey (04-29-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
pastelsummer
Rose Garden

I am where I am only by the Grace of GOD

pastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond repute

Oh man can I just say that is one PRETTY KITTY and yeah teach him to leave it. That is always one of my first commands to teach a dog.
Posted via Mobile Device
pastelsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pastelsummer For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (04-25-2012), Zooey (04-29-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

Not formally. He knows, apparently, "Ah-AHH!" and "Don't you DARE" He stops and settles down, thus far. I've treid to teach him a bit, but he's not all that receptive, and has impeccable house manners so... yeah. I haven't been on it like I would with one who wasn't so good in the house.

The cats? He got all in Lou's face, and the cat hissed and spat; I wasn't in the room to see that one except for when I snatched up the dog. Koda didn't back down though, fool beast, I swooped in before a fight erupted in DH's face.

Had him about, ehh, six weeks now?

My main concern is Lou won't just simply swat. He'll bite the dog if he gets angry enoguh. Cat bites = super not good.

We had a second tom when we bred, a twenty five pound mass of muscle and youth. He and Lou accidentally got out in the house together twice. Little, then-twelve-pound Lou, beat him mercilessly. I pried them apart with a broom and the big tom went skittering away. Of course, Lou is a charmer, an absolute angel/babysitter with kittens or neutered males. His lines are well known for producing gentle toms who make great housepets even when left intact. There's not a mean bone in him, but anything attacks him (or his girl, for that matter) and he simply won't have it.

Kash once attacked my old sheltie dog in a fit of maternal rage. The dog had grabbed a kitten, not her kitten but it was the principle of the thing. She took that 23 pound ball of fur to the ground and made her scream for help. I? I worry about Mr. Tinypants.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy slack off on training with these little guys They are so little that they can't really hurt you with their size or strength.

With your cats' dispositions I think you will have to keep a close eye on anyone and try to head off conflicts like you have done. Would having a squirt bottle around help, to squirt either the dog or cats when this nonsense starts so you don't have to get in the line of fire?
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amber For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

I shall try it.

I'm pretty unhappy with him being willing to start something so close to/on top of us, and let him know. Thus far, I scold, he apologizes and minces around in shame. They are never together unless we're present, so that's nothing new.

He knows I value the cats. I almost think he's jealous. Or resource guarding, or something. Will have to watch and see.

He is definitely coming out of his shell more. He barks now. He plays, he dances around. That's cool. Aggression to the Here First cats? No, buddy. You have to chill about that one. They get loved on too.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
pastelsummer
Rose Garden

I am where I am only by the Grace of GOD

pastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond reputepastelsummer has a reputation beyond repute

The best way to explain a small dog is they resemble a 3 y/o child. Also don't forget to tell the cars no too they need to learn that they can't attack the dog sand to simply ignore him. You basically have a bunch of jealous 3y/o children right now.
Posted via Mobile Device
pastelsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pastelsummer For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

Your dog has a serious case of Napoleon Syndrome. Most chihuahuas do. (the one across the street certainly does...) They weren't originally bred for cute lap dog-ness. They were rat catchers. Fearsome things to behold. Tiny sharp teeth , low to the ground , mean little attitudes...

Perhaps your Mr. TinyPants is channeling his ancestors.

I'd water bottle the situation and not be afraid of a claw strike to the nose.... it's taught my dogs a lesson I just couldn't. Cats have claws dude...they WILL tear into you.
J3K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J3K For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (04-26-2012), racheepoo (05-01-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Yep. Did I mention we have two pet rats? And ohh, the battle he wages within himself when I am holding one. He's practically salivating, staring at it with his nose twitching, and there I am, holding and petting the kittenlike little beast.

DH didn't believe me that they were rodent catchers. Now he does, after I had to clap a hand over little Iris and tell Koda no, these were MY rats, so leave them be. Probably blew his little doggy mind. What, these new people have rats... and I'm not SUPPOSED to kill them for the silly humans?

I'm a glutton for punishment. Hey, we have two cats and two rats who get along swimmingly, let's add a chihuahua to that mix just because we crave a balancing act.
J3K (04-26-2012), Redeemed (04-26-2012), Zooey (04-29-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
mystweaver
Rose Trellis

mystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond reputemystweaver has a reputation beyond repute

And a three year old. Don't forget the three year old.
"I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel
mystweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing to remind myself to video an Epic Chi-pom VS Cat Battle for you . She feels that she should be the only one allowed upstairs, and the cats should have to stay downstairs. Whenever she sees them 'trespassing' she rushes them. And they promptly pwn her into oblivion. And then she gets mad that not only were the cats in HER UPSTAIRS, daring to socialize with HER PEOPLE, they had the BALDFACED AUDACITY to beat her up on top of it .
domesticzookeeper (05-05-2012), J3K (05-02-2012)