Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #76
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: Has Dobson ever said...

Kathy, your imagery and word choice feels more like a tree--planted on a firm foundation that is growing up and out and producing fruit. I think that is a wonderful image for what we're discussing. I wouldn't call it hierarchy because the emphasis on hierarchy is about who is on top--your picture is more progressive and maturing over time. I like that image--it's hierarchy on its head
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Aisling (04-06-2011), BlessedBlue (04-06-2011), Cook (04-06-2011), dulce de leche (04-06-2011), Eowyn (04-06-2011), inesperada (04-06-2011), nadezhda (04-07-2011), rjy9343 (04-06-2011), Tasmanian Saint (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #77
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! I have found it helpful when discussing this issue!

The upside down hierarchy is actually biblical. Jesus wanted us to catch onto that idea! He said he came to serve--not to be served--and to give his life as a ransom for many. He gave that vivid object lesson in the upper room, washing the disciples' feet. He told his disciples when they were squabbling about who would be greatest, that in God's kingdom, those who would be great, must serve.

Last edited by katiekind; 04-06-2011 at 01:27 PM.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
Aisling (04-06-2011), ArmsOfLove (04-06-2011), dulce de leche (04-06-2011), inesperada (04-06-2011), nadezhda (04-07-2011), PlateauMama (04-06-2011), Tasmanian Saint (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #78
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! there's been a lot happening in this thread the last few days! The discussion's been great, and I'm about to PM a couple of you to ask if I can quote you
all for your thoughts. I guess I'll have to get on with the post, even though I can't find a quote to start it off with (I've been googling some of the key phrases and names from this thread, but can't find what I want ) Oh, well! I'll get started today

(Although H Linda's right, BarefootBetsy, you could write it if you want )

Thanks again for all your thoughts!
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tasmanian Saint For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (04-06-2011), Cook (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #79
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could collaborate and write it together.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #80
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I had already C&P'd my post from this thread and saved it as a draft on WP to refine for a post... I mostly want to talk about the false dichotomy It actually came up before this thread turned into that direction because of the Sunday School class I'm taking right now. That idea seems to be pervasive... that if the children are taken care of well, the husband will suffer and I think that's just absolutely ridiculous!

I know! We could do a carnival sort of thing and each write a post about this topic from our own perspectives and plan to post them on the same day What do you think, TS?

Or maybe it'd be better for me to go after your myth-busting post? I dunno... I could send mine to you once it's refined and then you can decide since it was your idea to begin with

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #81
ProudHooahWife

I do not think that taking good care of your husband will make your kids suffer nor do I think that taking good care of your kids makes your husband suffer...that is NOT what submission is. Submission does not mean you leave an infant baby crying because your husband wants a foot massage lol. Just using that as an example.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Joyanne (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #82
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudHooahWife View Post
I do not think that taking good care of your husband will make your kids suffer nor do I think that taking good care of your kids makes your husband suffer...that is NOT what submission is. Submission does not mean you leave an infant baby crying because your husband wants a foot massage lol. Just using that as an example.
You are right. But, unfortunately, not everyone out there agrees with you.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Aisling (04-06-2011), Aubieirish (04-08-2011), BarefootBetsy (04-06-2011), nadezhda (04-07-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #83
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudHooahWife View Post
I personally like to remember that in that same chapter of the "wives, submit" verse, the apostle Paul also admonishes that all in that church should submit to one another, out of reverence for Christ (gender not specified, as far as I can tell). We're reminded several times that in Christ, we are no longer male and female, and Christ himself teaches that to be great we must be the servant of all. If fathers have a right to do anything, it's to take up the basin and the towel and serve their familes with great humility. Same goes for every family member.

Unfortunately, this sort of servant leadership isn't why many Dobson followers take away from his (fuzzy intent at best) book. Teaching children a hierarchy of importance within the family is a worldly value, not at all in line with Christ's teaching, and shows Dobson's lack of understanding of grace and the gospel in general, in my opinion. This kind of "submission" smacks of worldly power and legalism.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aisling For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (04-06-2011), CelticJourney (04-07-2011), deena (04-07-2011), dulce de leche (04-06-2011), Maggirayne (02-10-2012), PlateauMama (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #84
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

I have not yet found a verse in which men are exempted from submitting to other believers simply because those believers happen to be female

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (04-06-2011), DoulaClara (04-07-2011), dulce de leche (04-06-2011), Housekat (04-06-2011), Maggirayne (02-10-2012), PlateauMama (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #85
Housekat
Rose Garden

Even if you can't see them or hear them at all, a person's a person, no matter how small!

Housekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootBetsy View Post
I have not yet found a verse in which men are exempted from submitting to other believers simply because those believers happen to be female
Awesome. Just awesome. Thanks Betsy

Can I copy and paste to my facebook status? xx

Find me on Facebook

Housekat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Housekat For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (04-07-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #86
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know! We could do a carnival sort of thing and each write a post about this topic from our own perspectives and plan to post them on the same day What do you think, TS?
Good idea LMK when you've finished yours
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tasmanian Saint For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (04-07-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #87
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housekat View Post
Awesome. Just awesome. Thanks Betsy

Can I copy and paste to my facebook status? xx
Absolutely!