Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #31
Raspberries

Default Re: My cold/flu season secret weapons, please share yours!

Okay so I have these things sitting in my shopping cart at vitacost. I just can't quite bring myself to hit checkout yet because I don't want to overspend or buy something that won't really be useful so I'd like some input:

Herbs for kids:
Herbs For Kids Echinacea & Astragalus
Herbs For Kids Horehound Blend
Herbs For Kids Cherry Bark Blend
Herbs For Kids Willow & Garlic Ear Oil
Herbs For Kids Valerian Super Calm
Herbs For Kids Minty Ginger™

Nature's Way Primadophilus Children for Ages 0-5
Nature's Answer Oil of Oregano -- 90 Softgels

When DD1 gets a cold she gets very sick and her asthma flairs up big time. I do NOT want a trip the ER this season or a dose of oral steroids. So it's not so much the cost of things, but it's whether or not it'll do anything.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #32
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

We use the HfK Eccinacea/Astragalus. Seems to work great! I give it at the first sign of a cold/illness and continue 3x a day for 2 - 3 days. Their colds are mild (stuffy nose, mild sore throat) and very rarely progress to the nasty cough stage.

me - why can't you do the clay right now?

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #33
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

I'm taking medication that 24hr.
I'm really bumbed about it because all the things it helped me with are comming back.
Including my allergies.

I have asthma enduced allergies that took a long time for dr's to figure out.
Just wanted to say that if herbs are being given to someone with asthma be very careful and take things slowly. Just on the odd chance that an ingredient might be in the same family as something that irritates or triggers their asthma. Like I use to drink chamomile when I was sick or during that time once a month. Because I'm allergic to ragweed if I take something with chamomile or flowers in it it helps a bit but actually prolongs me being sick. Just thought I'd mention.....
me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #34
bellaluna778

Wow! Great info!
Old 12-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #35
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

but thought this might be helpful re: asthma and herbs:

http://www.asthmaherbs.org/8301.html

http://www.taoofherbs.com/articles/8...maRemedies.htm

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...ooks/15/81.cfm

we never use the Minty Ginger, fwiw, not because of product but just always seem to throw away expired bottle after few years. Also, I only use Culturelle probiotics for the whole family, the best IMO. Look into astragalus w/asthma, also consider a non-astragalus herbal (echinacea only) since you can't give astragalus w/fever.

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleButterfly For This Useful Post:
Elora (10-12-2012)
Old 12-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #36
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Kym, would you want to share your basic smoothie recipe here? I know I can add just about anything, but do you have a basic foundation?

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #37
Raspberries

I just made one of those "super concoction" things that I've read about before.

Ingredients ( I just eyed this so I'm guessing here)
Fresh Ginger (I both grated and and sliced this up) about 1/3 of a cup
5 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 Tbs Cayenne
1/2 Tbs Cinnamon
6oz of raw honey
16oz purified water

I put everything but the honey together in a pot and brought it to a boil for about two minutes. Then I let it sit for a bit. I poured the honey into a large mason jar. I poured the mixture that was in the pot, into the blender. I blended until all chunks were gone and then added to the honey mixture and shook. DH and I each took a shot of it. It was pretty spicy but good surprisingly. I think it was the large amount of honey I used.

Each ingredient has their own wonderful anti-viral and immune system building qualities. Google for more info! You can either take it in shot form for a high dose while sick or to ward off illness. Or you can take about three ounces add it to some broth with some chicken and veggies and it's a great soup to have two times a week for maintenance.

Now, my question is storage. Do I store this in the fridge, or in the cupboard?
Old 12-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #38
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

hmm because it isn't in vinegar or alcohol I think I would store it in the fridge.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:05 AM   #39
Raspberries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
hmm because it isn't in vinegar or alcohol I think I would store it in the fridge.
Thank you!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #40
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Here is an ear infection Garlic oil recipe.
Quote:
*How to Make a Natural Earache Oil*

This easy-to-make herbal oil makes use of the antibacterial properties of garlic and the bacteriostatic properties of mullein to help prevent earaches and to ease the irritation and wax buildup that can accompany them. The formula is safe for children and adults. It should not be used in cases where the eardrum has ruptured. Always consult your healthcare practitioner for severe ear infections.
*Tools*

* measuring cups/spoons
* clean jar with lid
* blender (optional)
* strainer or coffee filter
* dropper

*Ingredients*

* 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh clove of garlic
* 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh or dried mullein flower
* approximately 1/2 cup (118 ml) of olive oil or almond oil

*Directions*

1. Crush the garlic clove and break up the mullein flowers. (This
could be done in a blender with the oil)
2. Cover the garlic and mullein with oil and blend well.
3. Pour the mixture into a clean jar and seal the jar.
4. Store the jar away from light and heat. Shake the jar daily. The
herbs need to be kept submerged under the oil (prevents spoilage),
so add more oil as necessary.
5. After 2 weeks, strain the mixture. Discard the herbs. Store the
oil in the refrigerator.
6. Use the oil by placing 2-3 drops of the oil into the ear canal.
Allow the head to tilt back so that the oil can more easily flow
down the ear canal. Massage the back of the ear to help disperse
the oil through the ear canal. Repeat as needed.

If you have difficulty finding any of the ingredients, you can purchase them online from my affiliate, _Kalyx.com Herbs, Oils, & Foods_ <http://www.qksrv.net/click-1382688-2339989>.

Ear Infection Treatment, Home Remedies of Earache

1. *Earache/Ear Pain*
* Apply heat into the ear to ease the pain. Use a warm
cloth or a heating pad set on low.
* Rest, let your energy to fight the infection.
* Acetaminophen, aspirin or ibuprofen may help relieve
earache.
* Oral nasal decongestants may help.
* Take Vitamin C to help boost the immune system and fight
infection. Zinc reduces ear infection.
* Press a piece of garlic and pour the juice in the ear.
It will help to reduce the pain.
* Chew gum or yawn to relieve the pain, if the earache is
due to altitude change (in aero plane).
* Yawning may open your Eustachian tubes by contracting
the muscles.
* Hold your both nostrils closed and blow through your
nose until you hear a pop.

Ear Drops #73168

recipe by *Peaceful Solution <http://www.recipezaar.com/browse/getchef.zsp?id=26075>*
This is an all natural ear drop. It has helped my family with pain due to ear infection as well as getting rid of the obnoxious tickle in the back of your throat when you have a cough. Even for the throat, it is placed in the ear. It coats the "tickle" spot. Cook time is "sit and shake" time.

* 3 ounces *

*5 hours 5 minutes* 5 mins prep

3 ounces * olive oil <http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=495>*
3-4 cloves * garlic <http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=165>*

1. Crush or mince garlic.
2. Put it in a clean glass jar with lid.
3. (Baby food jars are great) Leave it sitting on the counter and
gently shake it every time you pass by for 4 or 5 hours.
4. Strain off the oil and either discard the garlic solids or save
them to use in a recipe.
5. Put the oil in a dropper bottle.
6. (Preferably glass).
7. For use when having ear pain or sore throat.
8. Put two or three drops of oil in each ear, twice a day, once in
the morning and again at night.
9. Place a cotton ball in the ear for a few minutes to absorb any
excess oil.
10. Keep oil in the refrigerator and warm gently rolling the bottle
between your hands before using.
11. (It gets slightly solidified in the refrigerator.) More is NOT better.
12. Ears need to be able to"breath"/get oxygen.
13. You should make fresh ear drops every two or three days. I keep
mine three days...I've never had a problem with "spoilage". You
can make less if you will only be using it for one person.

* The garlic solution above is certainly simple to use for the treatment of acute ear infections. One can easily make this up by crushing a clove FRESH raw garlic and dissolving it in some olive oil and then put a few drops of the oil in the ear canal, as long as the ear drum is not perforated.

There is a lot of info here. It is her book that I saw at Good will the other night that I use all the time.
http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.asp?ID=1175

Herbs for Ear Pain

Mullein (Verbascum thapsus) has long been used as a demulcent to relieve congestion and inflammation. Components of mullein have also been found to have antibacterial, antiseptic, and pain-relieving properties.12 A few drops of oil infused with mullein can provide great relief for a child feeling the pain of ear inflammation. Use commercial ear drops containing mullein, or prepare your own ahead of time (making infused oil can take two weeks). To make the oil, cover a handful of dried mullein flowers with a carrier oil such as olive or almond oil. Let the oil set for two weeks, shaking it daily. If you are pressed for time, speed the process by heating the oil and mullein flowers gently on the stove for 30 minutes. Strain and use it when it reaches body temperature, testing it just as you would a baby's formula, by dropping it on your wrist. The oil should be warm but not hot. Cold oil can be warmed gently by setting the bottle in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes. Use a few drops in the ear canal up to three times a day if necessary.

Garlic (Allium sativum) has both antibacterial and antiviral properties13 and is often used in combination with mullein in oil to treat ear infections. Again, either buy this commercially or prepare it yourself. To make it yourself, crush a garlic clove in a few tablespoons of olive oil and gently warm it over the stove for 30 minutes. Strain before use and put a few drops of body-temperature oil in the ear canal.

St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) is another herb that may be beneficial for its antiviral, antibacterial, and soothing qualities.14 St. John's wort can be purchased commercially, or you can make infused oil from the tips of the branches, including the flowers and leaves. Put a few drops of oil into the ear canal.

Essential oil of lavender (Lavandula officinalis) has antiseptic and soothing qualities.15 Dilute lavender oil in an equal amount of vegetable oil, such as almond oil. Use a few drops of this warmed oil in the ear canal. Lavender oil, either in the ear or rubbed behind the ear, can also soothe nerves and may help an anxious toddler to sleep.

Drinking peppermint (Mentha piperita) tea can be soothing to a child. Peppermint also has antiseptic and decongestant qualities that can help relieve the pain of ear inflammation.16 You can mix peppermint with chamomile tea, which also is anti-inflammatory and has slight sedative qualities that may help relax a child in pain.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #41
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #42
lettucebabies

Old 12-12-2008, 12:23 AM   #43
HummusDip

I just made star soup! Though I'm putting it in the fridge and going to bed and we'll eat it all tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #44
Raspberries

So as I stated up above I made a batch of that cold and flu stuff. I took it every day since I made it(In addition to my regular supplements and vitamin C). My girls got sick and have been sick for about 5 days . I got sick "bad", for less than half a day and I'm back to normal with maybe just a slight scratchy throat.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Elora (10-12-2012)
Old 01-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #45
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Just coming to say that Master Tonic (if you can tolerate its tremendously strong taste) will kill about anything except stomach bugs. (sticky is around here somewhere - I can look for the link if anyone needs it.

And several doses of oscillococconicum for the whole family when the flu seems to be hitting seems to clear it up within 12 hours if you start fast enough.
The right homeopathic remedies (combination or classical).

So far, we've stayed healthy and only gotten a few very minor very quick colds this year Most have lasted less than 6 hours (i.e. we woke up sick and by bedtime were better ). I was the only one who actually was ill a full 24 hours so far this season!!

Daily immune building supplements/super foods we take
*greens
*CLO (everyone but 3yo takes this)
*calcium
*vit C
*aloe vera juice
*chlorophyl/papaya
*essiac tea (everyone but 3yo takes this)
*probiotic or naturally fermented foods (preferably naturally fermented foods, probiotic is only as needed )

3yo doesn't take things because we can't get her to keep it down and I am just glad we get all that other stuff in her as texture/flavor sensitive as she is

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote