Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
Karen

Default Tying Heart Strings

I have been in a couple of discussions with a friend of mine who believes there is value in Ezzo, Pearl, Tripp etc. She says take the meat throw out the bones. I say trash is trash. Anyway, in discussing some of Pearl's philosophy she told me that he really has mellowed (untrue if his answers to critics are anything to go from) and he really deals with "tying heartstrings" so well.

My question is what is tying heartstrings? I think she got frustrated that I wouldn't agree with her and sort of closed down. Does it have to do with tying your children to you in love? If that is the case I say, maybe you shouldn't have destroyed the trust in the first place.

If anyone could tell me, I would really appreciate it. I don't want to read his work myself because it makes me sick and depresses me that people believe that garbage.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
SortaCrunchy (03-23-2010)
Old 03-23-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tying Heart Strings

Practicing attachment parenting is "tying heart strings". Read any book by Dr. Sears or many others recommended here and you can learn how to tie heart strings without having to sift through the garbage.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (03-24-2010), mountainash (03-26-2010)
Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
Chris3jam

I get the same from the mother of the family we meet for our weekly play date. She reads TTUAC every year, to "keep fresh". She is a die-hard Gothard/Pearl person. According to her, it has worked *wonders*! And, I see how she deals with her children. She is *always* telling them she loves them, she is *always* hugging on them, etc. I haven't told her, but I submit that it is this AP thing that is what is working for her. . . . not the glue stick she carries in the diaper bag. She says that Pearl is all about a very strong relationship, and "tying heart strings". Apparently, she is the rare one that can completely not see the ickiness, and just wants to see what she wants to see. If a person is strong enough, Bible-savvy enough, has loving examples and a tender and loving heart, and knows where to look, to be fair, he does cover this very thoroughly.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
tempestjewel
Climbing Rose

tempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant future

I deal with this too. People who think the relationship aspect of that stuff is just *so* wonderful and joyful, that they look past all the yucky stuff and don't even realize that they are simultaneously destroying relationship I agree that strength of your relationship does help with discipline, but I find it sad that a lot of these "gurus" so quickly do things to sever the relationship or distort it- confusing love and pain in ways that I find so and unhealthy.

I really, really dislike the "gleaning" concept when it comes to adversarial/punitive stuff. I think some mama here posted that it's like eating brownies with just a little dog poop. Pardon me, but I prefer just brownies with no poop!

Or, to me, it's like trying to cook a gourmet meal out of stuff in a landfill. Sure, it can likely be done, but you risk contamination and have to ignore an awful lot of, well, garbage! No thanks. I'd rather go somewhere without the potential for poison!
momyshaver (03-23-2010), SortaCrunchy (03-23-2010)
Old 03-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
BusyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestjewel View Post

I really, really dislike the "gleaning" concept when it comes to adversarial/punitive stuff. I think some mama here posted that it's like eating brownies with just a little dog poop. Pardon me, but I prefer just brownies with no poop!

Or, to me, it's like trying to cook a gourmet meal out of stuff in a landfill. Sure, it can likely be done, but you risk contamination and have to ignore an awful lot of, well, garbage! No thanks. I'd rather go somewhere without the potential for poison!
I agree! I have a friend who has read TTUAC and she told me that "There's good things in there, even though I don't agree with everything. Each parent has to make their own choice. They should be able to tell what's not good."
I said that maybe not every parent can see the dangers and take the good without the bad. I haven't received her thought on that yet!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
Joanne
Deactivated

Joanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond repute

I agree there are resources that have areas to glean from:

1-2-3 Magic
Kevin Lehman
Ilg and Ames books
Love and Logic

But the Pearls are based on bad exegisis. They are flawed foundationally. They completely ignore the good and accurate science behind child development and progress. Tying heart strings? Duh. Connect with your kids is a basic.

GRAPHIC ILLUSTRATION TO FOLLOW.

Would you eat brownies with a little bit of poop?
Or drink soup with a little poison?
Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joanne For This Useful Post:
SortaCrunchy (03-23-2010), Zooey (03-24-2010)
Old 03-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

There's developing secure attachment, then there's punitively enforcing a boundary that says your child is not allowed to even look like they disagree with your will so that they become expert placaters.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (03-24-2010)
Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Pearl's teachings are based on manipulation, thought control and BF Skinner behaviorism. The Tying Heart Strings is part of the manipulation. Children who are raised that way end up with Stockholm Syndrome. They often believe that it is great and continue in the error, subjecting their own children to the same treatment.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
Mommyo6

I like the blogger who said that looking for the meat is like looking thru a cat's litter box for one Tootsie Roll. Gross but true! That is my new line the next time someone uses that phrase on me!

Mommyo6
Old 03-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
SortaCrunchy
Climbing Rose

SortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond repute

Karen - thank you so much for asking this question. Since all of the Pearl/Lydia Schatz discussion began, I've been wondering about this tying heart strings thing. And I COMPLETELY agree with what you said: "maybe you shouldn't have destroyed the trust in the first place."

Homemaking freelance writer & author passionate about gentle mothering, natural living, social justice and great coffee. Married to my college sweetheart and the SortaCrunchy mama to my big girls (8 and 5) and brand new (2/7/13) twin boys.

Co-author of Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year

SortaCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

To the meat/bone analogy, I say that the Pearls' teachings are like fish bones. They are pervasive and likely to lodge in one's throat.

My pages:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (03-24-2010), momyshaver (03-23-2010)
Old 03-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
Karen

Thanks for all the respnses. But can you tell me what tying heartstrings means?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #13
Gentle Journey
Rose Garden

Gentle Journey has a reputation beyond reputeGentle Journey has a reputation beyond reputeGentle Journey has a reputation beyond reputeGentle Journey has a reputation beyond reputeGentle Journey has a reputation beyond reputeGentle Journey has a reputation beyond reputeGentle Journey has a reputation beyond reputeGentle Journey has a reputation beyond reputeGentle Journey has a reputation beyond reputeGentle Journey has a reputation beyond reputeGentle Journey has a reputation beyond repute

Basically like doing things with your children that builds bonds between you. Tying strings from your heart to theirs and thiers to yours.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
Karen

Thank you. Well that is just silly then. It seems like if you followed in the Pearls path you would be in an endless cycle of build up and tearing down. No wonder the kids come out messed up. I think I will just stick to gentle parenting and focus on building those bounds of love, trust, and nurturing. (Not that I was remotely considering trotting down the bizarre Pearlized path.

It is sad, I think we are no longer friends because she couldn't browbeat or manipulate me to her way of thinking. I am not good bully victim.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
Thank you. Well that is just silly then. It seems like if you followed in the Pearls path you would be in an endless cycle of build up and tearing down. No wonder the kids come out messed up. I think I will just stick to gentle parenting and focus on building those bounds of love, trust, and nurturing. (Not that I was remotely considering trotting down the bizarre Pearlized path.

It is sad, I think we are no longer friends because she couldn't browbeat or manipulate me to her way of thinking. I am not good bully victim.
It is sad. They do like to bully people. I found a blog entry from a mom who had some concerns about the Pearls although she was not against them by any means. This was in 2006 when people were boycotting HomeSchoolBlogger over the Pearls. Reading the comments is surreal. She asks questions and the Pearl followers keep accusing her of attacking a man of God and being divisive. Eventually, she became very anti-Pearl.

My pages:
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
SortaCrunchy (03-24-2010)