Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breakfast *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hemp waffles-- entered into recipe of the month contest.

Hemp Waffles

1 3/4 C whole wheat pastry flour, kamut flour or spelt flour
2 to 4 T hemp powder
1 T baking powder
1/4 t salt
2 eggs or egg replacement
1 3/4 non dairy milk
1/2 C cooking oil (I use palm oil or coconut oil)

Preheat waffle iron.

In mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. Beat together wet ingredients and stir until lumpy.

Cook on waffle baker as directed by manufacturer. Keep in warm toaster oven or oven on 250 to serve all together. Note - this recipe is easily frozen and then popped into toaster or toaster oven for super quick breakfasts. I triple the recipe each time I make it and freeze the extras.

Picky eaters and kids LOVE this recipe. It has the delicious sweetness of hemp and dissappears off plates so quickly.

Variations:

Chocolate waffles: prepare as above but reduce flour to 1 1/4 C. Add 1/3 unsweetened coco and 1/4 C extra hemp to flour mixture. Add 1/3 C maple syrup and 1 t vanilla to liquid ingredients.

Cinnamon nut waffles - prepare as above except add 1/2 t cinnamon 1/8 t ginger, and 1/8 t nutmeg to flour and sprinkle around 2 T chopped walnuts or pecans over each waffle before closing lid to bake.

I entered the recipe of the month contest online for the manufacturer I get my hemp . . . .Submitted by Jodi H.. . . .

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
BHope
Rose Garden

Finding the Good

BHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hemp waffles-- entered into recipe of the month contest.

When do you find out if you won?

Can I ask what the hemp adds to the meal? I mean nutritionally?

DD1 (8 years old)
DD2 (6 years old)
DD3 (4.5 years old)

Eternally missing DFS3 (stored safely in our hearts) and DFS1
Praying for Little R as she transitions into a new family.
May you always know God's love and His comfort.
BHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Hope
When do you find out if you won?

Can I ask what the hemp adds to the meal? I mean nutritionally?
I found out today that I won. It will be featured in the January 2008 newsletter I also get a goody bag from the manufacturer

Hemp is full of

Omega 3 and 6 EFA's (essential fatty acids)
Fiber
Protein - I started using it because I am not a morning person and was searching for a soy free, dairy free, rice free protein smoothie (we have allergies and dietary preferences). And for a really long time we were all struggling to get enough protein in our diets so I add it to MANY of our recipes that have flour

It's also very naturally sweet so when I use it in smoothies no sweetener necessary I use oat milk, banana, frozen fruit. o.j. and greens and it's super yummy

Because I need more protein in the morning I started playing with my waffle recipe and added it to that (what you see above). Then just a few days ago, I added it to our pancake recipe. That needs work because it's heavier than flour so they were kind of flat but I'll probably try again tomorrow..

I also want to keep playing with the waffles to get this to a "soaked" flour recipe as our dietary preference is to soak all our grains and flours

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
Old 01-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
BHope
Rose Garden

Finding the Good

BHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond repute

CONGRATULATIONS! Now you get to say "my award winning recipe" every time you talk about it. So very cool.

Speaking of hemp, I really should look into it. I was kind of burned by the whole "hemp diaper" craze that I am leery of being duped twice. lol. The protein aspect of it, though, is really cool...

DD1 (8 years old)
DD2 (6 years old)
DD3 (4.5 years old)

Eternally missing DFS3 (stored safely in our hearts) and DFS1
Praying for Little R as she transitions into a new family.
May you always know God's love and His comfort.
BHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:20 AM   #5
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Jodi!!

I have to admit, whenever I think if baking with hemp, I a little. (thinking of a brownie mix I saw once called called "Happy Hemp Brownies" )
I do use hemp protein powder in smoothies, so I will give this a try some time.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
cornflower
Rose Garden

cornflower has a reputation beyond reputecornflower has a reputation beyond reputecornflower has a reputation beyond reputecornflower has a reputation beyond reputecornflower has a reputation beyond reputecornflower has a reputation beyond reputecornflower has a reputation beyond reputecornflower has a reputation beyond reputecornflower has a reputation beyond reputecornflower has a reputation beyond reputecornflower has a reputation beyond repute

Amy, your reaction is exactly mine.

I think about the little old church lady who mentioned how fond her memories were of when her daddy used to burn the hemp plants he didn't use on the farm. (This would have been back in the late, late 1800s.)
Old 01-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflower
Amy, your reaction is exactly mine.

I think about the little old church lady who mentioned how fond her memories were of when her daddy used to burn the hemp plants he didn't use on the farm. (This would have been back in the late, late 1800s.)

well, my dh likes to tease me about hemp for the reason you guys are talking about it and my mom's eyebrows shot through the roof when I told her about my recipe

But I just laugh. One day my hemp brownies will be famous I don't even make hemp brownies but dh keeps asking for them to tease Maybe some day I'll make them just to make him chuckle.

I did master my hemp pancakes friday morning But now I am out of hemp until UNFI brings me more This is not going to be a fun 2 weeks cuz I usually have a smoothie 5 to 7 days a week Oh well, I guess I have to eat something else

Old 01-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Which brand do you buy?
I am going to be placing my UNFI order this week.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:03 AM   #9
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Mantoba Harvest -- not sure if your numbers are the same but mine is 789958 through UNFI

I pay $9.86 after our 15% discount