Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #16
staceylayne
Rose Garden

Hopeful.

staceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ... And I'm the Strict One!

This is totally random, but I'll share anyway. (Because I don't really self-censor very well after midnight.) Yesterday as I was watering my plants I was thinking about some GCM conversations and threads and how I really appreciate your input and insight, bolt. And I was mentally bemoaning how I know so very little about you other than what's in your siggy. (Maybe you share more somewhere where I'm not paying attention. )

So anyway, I'm just tickled pink to see a little anecdote from your real life. I feel like I know you better already!

And I second (third?) what Kathy said! So true.

My friends pretty much all know I don't spank and I hear similar things from time to time. It's silly that they can't hear their own inconsistencies and lack of logic. I make liberal use of bean dip, unless someone in a one on one convo is genuinely curious.

Joyful momma to:

B - 7.5, my pensive planner
D - 5.5, my spunky sunshine
C - 3.5, my cuddly cutie

And baby girl A, born April 28!
Why, yes, I am ENFP

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. James 3:17-18
staceylayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to staceylayne For This Useful Post:
bec28 (06-06-2012), filmgirl2911 (06-06-2012), Luciola (10-30-2013), PaperMomma (06-06-2012), ReedleBeetle (06-06-2012), RiverRock (06-12-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 04:48 AM   #17
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

The funniest comment I've ever had was "I know you don't want to spank, but you really need to start so they'll know you are in control"

So... I have to give up my control to let them know I'm in control?
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
MaiMama (06-06-2012), rjy9343 (06-07-2012), saturnfire16 (06-08-2012), SewingGreenMama (06-06-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-06-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-07-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 04:49 AM   #18
filmgirl2911
Rose Garden

filmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond repute

bolt. would you mind describing / defining what you mean by "strict"? maybe if you could share a couple of concrete examples with your children.

I'm always looking to learn and grow from mamas here. Especially mamas who are seeing results from their gentle parenting.

I think sometimes I have some difficulty reconciling gentle and strict or gentle and firm
blessed with a sweet {but sometimes fierce} empathetic little girl since April 2010

word on the street is I am an ENFP

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
filmgirl2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to filmgirl2911 For This Useful Post:
blessedmamaofmany (06-08-2012), Dovenoir (06-23-2012), MaiMama (06-06-2012), SewingGreenMama (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #19
bolt.
Rose Trellis

bolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, here's another tidbit of reality then: my husband is often unwell, and, with rare exceptions, that makes me the only "responsible adult" in my family. That means that, since I can't handle (much) chaos, I can't allow it.

I have lines of painters tape on my floor outlining "kitchen" in my open-plan home. Children don't cross those lines when I am cooking. They haven't for years. If my daughter woke up this morning to find painters tape barring them from exiting their own bedrooms, they would, I am dead sure, stand there and call me, "Mama? Why us this here? Mama, can I cross the tape? Mama, I need to go potty!" To me, strict means that they would automatically treat a line of tape as a physical barrier.

Of course, I worked on that: with gentleness, and repetitiveness, and role play -- and consistent re-enforcement.

My friends don't see that particular example -- but they do see kids who come when they are called, follow instructions, deal with their disappointments without (often) being disruptive about it, obey limits when playing under slight-supervision circumstances, clean up their areas (with reminders), handle their own belongings, and sit quietly when nessisary, and they respect other people's bodies and boundaries.

These things do add up to some impressive kids: but we worked together to learn each important skill, one skill at a time.

Since, one would assume, you "can't" get results like that from being permissive, I "must" be punitive out of the public eye, or they must be natural angels.

Now, I do know that some kids are "harder" than others. I'm not saying that all kids who have trouble behaving because of parenting -- I'm just saying, in this situation, the idea of how such characteristics appear to be distributed by family isn't logical.

Pam, 35 yo
Christian for 20 y
Married for 15 y
Mother to "J" 8 yo, and "M" 5 yo
INTJ, DYT 4, Canadian
1 more class until I'm done at Seminary
Adjunct Faculty at a Bible College
bolt. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bolt. For This Useful Post:
cbmk4 (06-06-2012), filmgirl2911 (06-06-2012), Hermana Linda (06-06-2012), Luciola (10-30-2013), MaiMama (06-06-2012), PaperMomma (06-06-2012), ReadingMommy (06-06-2012), SewingGreenMama (06-06-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-06-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-07-2012), twoplustwo (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #20
StoryOfGrace
Rose Garden

INFP...Don't mind me!

StoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...it's "funny" that if you didn't have two angles, that their "bad" behavior would be directly attributed to your lack of spanking. But, of course, it doesn't work the other way around!

"Nobody knows what we're for only what we're against when we judge the wounded.
What if we put down our signs, crossed over the lines, and loved like You did?
"
~Casting Crowns

StoryOfGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to StoryOfGrace For This Useful Post:
canadiyank (06-06-2012), dulce de leche (06-12-2012), Luciola (10-30-2013), MaiMama (06-06-2012), MomtoJGJ (06-06-2012), rosesnsnails (06-12-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-07-2012), Zooey (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #21
PaperMomma
Rose Garden

PaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooo, I love the tape around the kitchen idea. I've already started kicking them out of the kitchen while I'm cooking.

Momma to
"Sister" 5yo
"Scoomer" 3yo
PaperMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperMomma For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (06-07-2012), SewingGreenMama (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #22
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have lines of painters tape on my floor outlining "kitchen" in my open-plan home. Children don't cross those lines when I am cooking.
Yeah we have a small door to the tiny kitchen, right now we use a gate in that door, and no one is allowed in while I cook, but it probably won't be so easy when we get a new place. I like the tape idea!

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #23
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

I once had someone tell me "you must have easy children", and the children's minister of the church we were attending was standing next to me. She looked at me; I looked at her, and we both started laughing hysterically.

Think what you want about my parenting, but I don't have easy kids.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MarynMunchkins For This Useful Post:
Heather Micaela (06-08-2012), Johns_Gal (06-07-2012), Luciola (10-30-2013), MomtoJGJ (06-07-2012), Peridot (06-07-2012), rjy9343 (06-07-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #24
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

I do have relatively easy kids... but it still doesn't make them less "kids"... they still are annoying and they still do things they shouldn't do. They still disobey (or don't comply, whatever) They still push limits. They still drive me insane before breakfast on a daily basis.

It's still hard work. Even if you just count the fact that most of them will make it to adult years alive much less functioning!
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
LearningMama (06-07-2012), Luciola (10-30-2013), rjy9343 (06-07-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #25
blessedmamaofmany
Deactivated

I love my life.

blessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond repute

What would be the consequence of crossing the tape? Both now, and in establishing it as a boundary?

I can handle the boundaries, it is the consequences I need help with. I'm struggling with finding the balance between firm and permissive.
blessedmamaofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blessedmamaofmany For This Useful Post:
filmgirl2911 (06-08-2012), ReadingMommy (06-08-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #26
bolt.
Rose Trellis

bolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond repute

The tape is a training aid -- I spent a lot of time teaching, "This is the kitchen" / "This is not the kitchen" / "See the tape" / "Step into the kitchen" / "Step out of the kitchen" -- "Yay! What a brilliant toddler you are! You know all about the kitchen!"

Then there was the, "Hey, now, where are you? Is are your feet in the kitchen? How can you tell? Am I cooking? How can you tell? Where do your feet need to be? Yay! That's the right place for your feet!" It's a practical application phase -- and I was very diligent to catch and re-teach every time.

And that's really all it really took. The consequence of transgressing the tape is merely to be shown your error and guided to solve it.

I suppose if there was blatant disregard of what I was saying, I'd probably physically lift the child to the correct side of the line. Then I'd tell them (quite pleasantly) that they were now in the right place, and go over the teaching phase again (while holding the child still if necessary). I'd give a direct instruction that their feet needed to stay on 'that' side of the line, and set the child free -- or initiate a distraction.

If it happened again and again, I'd probably move the child further and further from the line, using a less pleasant voice. If necessary, it would end with the child being put in another room. It might go so far as resulting in a cold supper, since I was prevented from being able to focus on my cooking.

But that hasn't happened to me. It's just what I imagine I'd do if I needed to. I haven't encountered many situations where the kids didn't pick up the skills I needed them to pick up, just by teaching and consistently working through transgressions until they really 'got' it.

Consequences come into play once a child clearly *has* a skill, and is capable of reliably using that skill, even under stress. That's when 'teaching' has done it's work and you have a child who is choosing between compliance and non-compliance by free choice (not ending up not complying for the more natural reason -- that it's genuinely hard for the child to do what you want them to do).

If the 'to do' is *not* genuinely hard any more, then you are in territory where consequences need to be considered.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I was in 'that place' with my kids. Mostly I spend my energy trying to work with the child to understand a situation, so they can handle what I want them to be doing. Once they can 'handle' it, usually they don't object to doing it just because there's no reason not to do it.

I do things like "if you can't handle being here, we will leave" -- which is something like a consequence, sometimes... but not really. Because (a) if a child really can't handle a situation, it's *kind* to leave that situation, so it's not a threat to 'do better or else' it's just a statement of how you plan to parent through a tough situation. BUT there's also the other possibility -- (b) that the child can handle themself better, but wasn't trying very hard. Then the desire not to leave the situation plays a motivational role in helping the child pull themself together and raise their standard of behaviour.

I really like this double-pronged approach, using consequences that are a form of 'unwanted assistance' -- if the problem is 'beyond' the child's skill, the consiquence will help them cope better -and- if the problem is 'within' the child's skill, the consiquence motivates them to bring all their skill to the table and make a good try at handling things well.

Pam, 35 yo
Christian for 20 y
Married for 15 y
Mother to "J" 8 yo, and "M" 5 yo
INTJ, DYT 4, Canadian
1 more class until I'm done at Seminary
Adjunct Faculty at a Bible College
bolt. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to bolt. For This Useful Post:
a good book under a tree (06-15-2012), blessedmamaofmany (06-08-2012), CJNeeley (07-12-2012), dulce de leche (06-12-2012), everybody's mother (07-10-2012), filmgirl2911 (06-08-2012), forty-two (06-13-2012), Hermana Linda (06-08-2012), joanna (06-12-2012), katiekind (06-08-2012), magpiedpiper (06-23-2012), OnAMission (06-08-2012), PaperMomma (06-12-2012), ReadingMommy (06-08-2012), RedPetals (06-08-2012), Rugayatu (06-12-2012), Snugglebugmom (06-20-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-08-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-11-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #27
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarynMunchkins View Post
I once had someone tell me "you must have easy children", and the children's minister of the church we were attending was standing next to me. She looked at me; I looked at her, and we both started laughing hysterically.

Think what you want about my parenting, but I don't have easy kids.
I got told my kids were good when my 2yo was screaming hysterically in supercuts while I was in the chair and the older two were trying to mute him with lolipops. I felt different

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #28
filmgirl2911
Rose Garden

filmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond repute

bolt. that is about one of the best "play-by-play" illustrations I've come across and it just crystallizes so much

blessed with a sweet {but sometimes fierce} empathetic little girl since April 2010

word on the street is I am an ENFP

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
filmgirl2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to filmgirl2911 For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (06-23-2012), Luciola (10-30-2013), rosesnsnails (06-12-2012), StoryOfGrace (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #29
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmgirl2911 View Post
bolt. that is about one of the best "play-by-play" illustrations I've come across and it just crystallizes so much

I agree. Thank you!
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #30
ruhama
Deactivated

Jumping off the hot tin roof.

ruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond reputeruhama has a reputation beyond repute

I think the "well your kids are so good you don't need to spank" thing is pretty logical, actually.

Logically, if they decide to believe that your kids are "better" than their kids, then they are not doing anything wrong by spanking them, thus justifying their parenting and not needing to change anything they're doing. However, the alternative belief is dangerous and scary - that they may be spanking unnecessarily. This in itself is an admission that spanking is NOT an ideal! They want to feel "forced" into it so they don't have to do the (extremely) hard work of redisciplining themselves and learning self-control along with a whole bunch of new parenting skills.

So they choose the easy answer that requires nothing of them. "Your kids are angels."
ruhama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ruhama For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (06-12-2012), dulce de leche (06-12-2012), Elyse221 (06-12-2012), Jessica (06-13-2012), twoplustwo (06-20-2012)