Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:49 AM   #1
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to do w pork loin? And do I ask for it cut?

My kids and dh really love pork and pork loin is on sale. The ad says "will cut for free".

I am looking for refined sugar free (honey only), soy free, dairy free, gluten free recipes. But I often can substitute some things.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 10-04-2017 at 06:34 AM.
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:22 AM   #2
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do w pork loin? And do I ask for it cut?

dog free
Sorry, I still laugh like crazy with autocorrect results.

Anyway, I used to buy pork this way. When my family was half the size it is now, I'd ask for 2 three pound roasts and the rest chops about 3/4 inch thick.

I don't really have any good recipes.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 06:34 AM   #3
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I just corrected dog to soy

Cutting makes pork chops? That I can handle

I still want more pork recipes as my experience = ribs and pork chops.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
Old 10-04-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Pulled pork is what I think of. Just cook it in the crock pot with water forever and it will shred with a fork. Add a bbq sauce you can eat (homemade or store bought) and use for sandwiches or serve with rice.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Kiara.I (10-04-2017), milkmommy (10-04-2017), tempus vernum (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 07:24 AM   #5
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

A favourite in our home is to smother the loin with minced garlic and rosemary leaves and just enough olive oil for the seasoning to stick. Then I BBQ the loin, turning often. A roasting pan in the oven will also work. I usually serve this with chunky warm applesauce (I keep bags of sliced apples in the freezer for this...no sugar or spice added but you could if your apples need a little flavour boost).
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2017, 07:30 AM   #6
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you could roast it in the oven. I often do that. I don't have any recipies, I just do it. You might like some of these:

If it is a very lean piece of meat, you can roast it in 175 degrees Celsius (you probably need to convert it) until the temperature inside is 80 degrees Celsius. (a meat thermometer is really helpful. If you do not have one, you should take about one hour per one kilogram meat.
Rub the meat with salt and pepper and other herbs and scices of your choice. Put it on an oven dish and shove the meat into the oven. When it is ready, take it out, cover the meat with aluminium foil or put a lid on the dish and let the meat reat for about half an hour. Use the juice of the meat to make a nice, creamy sauce. Cut the meat into thin slices. Serve it with potatoes and vegetables or anything else you fancy.

If it is a rather fat piece of meat, you can roast it slowly in the oven for a very long time. The lower the temperature the longer you can roast it. I prefer to "forget" the meat in an oven of 125-150 degrees celsius, for the entire day. I start with 150 degrees for the first two hours and then I put it lower. I'd say 4 hours is a minimum time. The longer you roast it the nicer it becomes. You might need to ad some water on the oven dish.
You can season the pork any way you like. I prefer simple things like sea salt, white pepper, thyme and rosemary. You can also cut some deep cuts in the meat and push some toes of garlic into them. If the pork still has some skin or any visible kind of fat, place the meat on the dish in such a way that the fatty parts are on top. They will work like a "foil" and prevent the meat from drying. The fat can be removed when it's ready and you start to eat. Some folks, though, don't mind some fat. If that's the case, enjoy it .
And when the meat is realy...you should have a wonderful pulled pork.

If you have a moderately fat piece of meat (not too fat and not too skinny either), you might like to make a Karelian steak of some kind. That's probably the easiest way to cook any meat.
Cut the meat into cubes and put them onto a deep oven dish or a pan. Add a bay leaf, salt and other herbs of your choice (I use black pepper, cellery seeds, caraway seeds and fennel seeds). Then add some water. The water should just and almost cover the meat but not more than that. Shove the dish into an oven of about 150-175 degrees celsius. You van strart with 175 degrees for the first hour and then cover it, put it lower (150 degrees) and forget about it for the next 2-3 hours.

Karelian steak is served with mashed potatoes and vegetables of the season. Real traditional Karelian steak is made of beef, pork and lamb cubes. When you buy carelian steak here on the grocery store it is made of beef and pork mixed. I have made it of pork alone and of beef alone. Beef takes more time than pork. You can also put some big pieces of carrot, red beets or other root vegetables into the Karelian steak.

Karelian steak can also be made in a Duch Oven or a cooking pot on the stove. I have not tried a crock pot or a slow cooker but I suppose that might work just as well.

Pork can be seasoned in many ways. My favorites are simple things like thyme, garlic, white pepper and rosemary. Someone else may like hot spices. Lean pork meat "begs" for fresh dairy butter or cream. Fat pork meat does not need any extra oil or fat.
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MariJo7 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Did I put any pork recipes in your other thread?

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
Did I put any pork recipes in your other thread?
My other thread

So pork loin is literally a roast? dh still has to tell me what to buy in regards to pork. We rarely if ever eat pork

The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
bananacake (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

A lean roast.

For shredded pork I've always used the shoulder.

If the butcher will cut it, fast fry pieces (thin cut) can be convenient. I use fast fry pieces for yakisoba or to make a quick meal with mushroom sauce on spaetzel. This time of year Trader Joe's sells a portabelo mushroom sauce in a tetra box and I can find decent egg noodles at Walmart.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (10-04-2017), Victorious (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #10
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

We almost always do it in the crock pot with whatever seasoning fancy us or once in a while with some baby rays for pulled pork. Or with taco spices for some pork caranitas It's one of few meals everyone agrees on and can meet everyone's diet needs.
tempus vernum (10-05-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #11
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Allspice is also good on pork. I do thick pork chops in a skillet or on the grill (or sous vide is best if you have one) with just sea salt and pepper. Or brown in butter in a dutch oven, then add apple slices with cinnamon and brown sugar on them and cook in the oven until done. That's delicious! Or with baked pears.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (10-05-2017)