Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old 10-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Making a computer safe for an 11yo

My laptop died last week, so now I have a new one. AJ is apparently the Laptop Whisperer because she's been able to resurrect it, LOL, so now she wants it as her own. (She's been begging for a computer for ages, mostly to game on, which my old one definitely wouldn't handle, but also for school related stuff since she occasionally has to use mine - but honestly, she really wants it because so many of her friends have one.)

My concern is, of course, internet accessibility. We have Safari disabled on her iPad and iPhone (which is really just a glorified iPod since it isn't connected to our phone account), but obviously she'll need a browser for research for school. I've been trying to find a safe, kid-friendly browser but instead keep finding safe, kid-friendly search engines. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist? What do y'all use on your kids' computers, if they have one? What else do you do to keep the computer safe for them? I know I can create an admin profile and a separate profile for her that will allow me to limit what her profile can do (like download stuff from websites and make admin-level changes on the machine) but I'm guessing there are other things I'm not even thinking of that I ought to do. Thoughts???
Inspirational Women's Fiction author
Children's storybook author
Homeschool coach
NovelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making a computer safe for an 11yo

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Open DNS?
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
Open DNS?
I have no idea what that means, LOL.
Homeschool coach
Old 10-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovelMama View Post
I have no idea what that means, LOL.
It controls your router, I think. IDK. But it keeps the truly bad out, I believe. Just google it to see if you are interested. It's been recommended on here. I keep meaning to do it myself.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

We use OpenDNS. You can control how tightly you lock down the internet. You can whitelist and blacklist specific websites, too.

https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-20-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 04:56 AM   #7
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I will have to ask dh exactly what he did for dd1, but he locked down her browser, she can only go to a certain list of sites unless she knows the exact name of the site she wants and types of in the exact address. this allows her to blog and do Minecraft coding stuff safely. I will be back later.

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
We use OpenDNS. You can control how tightly you lock down the internet. You can whitelist and blacklist specific websites, too.

https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/
ok that's what we did.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

Okay, I found OpenDNS's website. I wish they went into a bit more detail on what all it can do. For those of you using it, does it do a good job of filtering search engine results?
Homeschool coach
Old 10-21-2017, 04:32 PM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

No, you can't do that with any filter. The search engine will show the results but if someone clicks on it, they'll get a block screen and the URL will be in the report.
ECingMama (10-21-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #10
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

My kids don't have their own laptops and like you have internet disabled on their phones.

But it's only a matter of time so I better start gathering info now.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #11
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

Another question, for those of you with Macs:

I created a new user for AJ and enabled Parental Controls. I also blacklisted a bunch of websites and whitelisted a bunch of others. But when she goes to whitelisted sites, we get notification after notification, in pop-up windows, that the browser is trying to access a secure website, and because Parental Controls are enacted apparently secure websites are blocked unless specific permission is given. So even though we're on a site I've whitelisted (like Netflix, for example, where she has her own user profile), it'll notify us over and over that it's trying to access a particular ISP, and for each one I have to enter my account and password to allow them. And even after I've allowed them it will ask again, immediately, for permission to access the same ISP that I *just* gave permission for. It's maddening! There's nothing in Parental Controls for me to turn off so this doesn't happen. Is there something I'm missing?? It makes using the web awful.
Homeschool coach
Old 10-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Not a mac user but I remembered we also set up Google safe search.

https://support.google.com/websearch...DDesktop&hl=en.
TraceMama (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #13
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote