Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #46
RubySlippers
Deactivated

There's no place like home.

RubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are some of your reasons to HS?

Love the responses here...I saw all our reasons for homeschooling and more.

Oh, that banner was hilarious! The math error plus the grammatical error??? I'm sure it wasn't originally intended that way.
RubySlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:19 AM   #47
seekingLove

We homeschool simply b/c we prayed about it & it is what is right for our family That is all there is to it, of course we are thankful for the many benefits that come with homeschool!
The journey began when I started to see just what homeschooling was. As a teen I babysat for a few homeschool families & so I had some experience with what homeschooling was to their families. However, as an adult I remember saying, "God will have to tell me to homeschool B/c I just don't think I am cut out for that!" Well, well, well... it is amazing what God calls us to. I am ever thankful that He equips us for what He calls us!!!
Old 11-23-2006, 09:19 PM   #48
jghomeschooler
Deactivated

jghomeschooler is on a distinguished road

Because I don't believe in farming out my children and relying on strangers to actually help them learn.

Because the ps system is a complete failure.

Because they are MY children, not wards of the state.

Because I love them, and love having them home with me everyday.

Because I want them to LIVE, and LEARN, and LOVE.

Because I don't want to see them wither away, wilt, and be beaten down by such a system, and by children raised in such a system, by teachers who are trained to beat them down within the system/with the system.

Because, IMNSHO, ps is no place for children.
jghomeschooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:55 PM   #49
live~laugh~love

BRAVO ladies! I you guys .
Old 12-29-2006, 09:36 PM   #50
cbmr777

I haven't read through all of the responses (yet) but wanted to share our reasons...

I wrote them here in my blog in 2005 and our reasons haven't changed one bit... in fact over the last 3 years of HSing, they've only strengthened.
http://www.hoguechronicle.com/parent...d=109&catid=34

Old 02-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #51
masherrell

I have always wanted to home school and I am still trying to decide what i will be doing next fall. What drove me to the edge was when I put my DS in public pre school when he was 3. Just to try things out. It lasted two weeks. I went to a parent meeting when they past curriculum around that they were going to teach the next week. It was on good touch and bad touch. No problem I thought, we have been over this. Then I thumbed through the children's book that they were going to read to a male/female group of 3 and 4 year olds. Graphic pictures of both sex genitalia. I though I was going to get sick. I pulled him out that very next day. I was horrified to find out that they start sex education in our school system in 4th grade. Not personal hygiene like I was taught but actual how to prevent STD's and such. So yes I am still debating. I don't know why. Maybe because I do have some family members against it. My grandmother says they deserve a proper education. She does not live in the schools in these times. I don't think she realizes how bad it has got.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #52
TuTusMama

In semi response to one poster...(something tambourine?)

1. My 4 children are my only children and I want to spend as much time with them as possible

my other reasons are a bit different form those posted...

2. In school I always wanted to go outside....even to do worksheets or listen to the teacher, I felt like I was wasting my life indoors.

3. So my kids can learn about subjects for however long they want, no time limits

4. On the opposite end, if they arent ready for something they wont be afraid to say so. I constantly fell behind because I was just too afraid to raise my hand and say "this isnt making sense"

5. Learning will be limit less and all day. No longer will I feel they need to zone out on the TV afterschool. To just be blah and not listen to anyone... it will be a thing of the past

6. To have my kids learn about the Bible throughout the day, we can in no way afford private school

7. To see my kids excited to learn and discover and enjoy it with them

Christine
Old 03-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #53
RedTulipMoon

I am so glad i found this thread. I really needed to be reminded of all the reasons i choose to homeschool. I have an 18 yr old son that i homeschooled pretty much from 4th grade through the end of highschool except for when he went to 8th grade PS for the last half of 8th grade cuz he wanted an 8th grade diploma (which he got with no problem). And his 2 mos attempt at Public highschool.

Anyways, i have another son who is turning 3 in June and i have a baby girl that is due in June. I have had every intention of homeschooling all the rest of my children through atleast 8th grade, possibly highschool. Now it turns out my son that is about to turn 3 has been diagnosed as PDD-NOS with Dyspraxia. (he is supposedly high functioning but on the autism spectrum, and he isn't talking yet). He has been in Early Intervention for a year and all the therapists have been coming to the house. Now they are PUSHING me to sign my son up for the special education offered through the school system starting THIS SUMMER on his 3rd birthday. The problem is...its 5 days a week, 3 hours per day! I didnt mind a few therapists coming to MY HOUSE a couple days a week to help him, BUT to send him 5 days a week at age 3 to SCHOOL!!! eeeeek! i am sooooo torn! i had NO intention of sending my children to pre-school or any school. Now i have a son that isn't TALKING and has sensory issues and NEEDS occupational therapy and speech therapy and such and the school system offers all this for free. I think its possible to HIRE these therapists for MEGA BUCKS to come to the house, but we dont have MEGA BUCKS! i am torn torn torn as to whether my son NEEDS this or doesnt NEED this help!! He is extremely SMART. He knows his colors, numbers 1-12, shapes and his entired alphabet and isnt even 3 yet.

I dont know why i am going on and on ....this is probably the entirely wrong thread...if this belongs somewhere else..then please move it if need be. sorry.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #54
Mothering by Heart
Deactivated

Mothering by Heart is on a distinguished road

I was just thinking about this in the shower yesterday. One of my DD's has been sleeping really late all of a sudden. Obvious growth spurt.

I am so happy I am able to accommodate that for her instead of having here at school at 7:45 when she still needed to sleep for a few more hours
Mothering by Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #55
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTulipMoon
I am so glad i found this thread. I really needed to be reminded of all the reasons i choose to homeschool. I have an 18 yr old son that i homeschooled pretty much from 4th grade through the end of highschool except for when he went to 8th grade PS for the last half of 8th grade cuz he wanted an 8th grade diploma (which he got with no problem). And his 2 mos attempt at Public highschool.

Anyways, i have another son who is turning 3 in June and i have a baby girl that is due in June. I have had every intention of homeschooling all the rest of my children through atleast 8th grade, possibly highschool. Now it turns out my son that is about to turn 3 has been diagnosed as PDD-NOS with Dyspraxia. (he is supposedly high functioning but on the autism spectrum, and he isn't talking yet). He has been in Early Intervention for a year and all the therapists have been coming to the house. Now they are PUSHING me to sign my son up for the special education offered through the school system starting THIS SUMMER on his 3rd birthday. The problem is...its 5 days a week, 3 hours per day! I didnt mind a few therapists coming to MY HOUSE a couple days a week to help him, BUT to send him 5 days a week at age 3 to SCHOOL!!! eeeeek! i am sooooo torn! i had NO intention of sending my children to pre-school or any school. Now i have a son that isn't TALKING and has sensory issues and NEEDS occupational therapy and speech therapy and such and the school system offers all this for free. I think its possible to HIRE these therapists for MEGA BUCKS to come to the house, but we dont have MEGA BUCKS! i am torn torn torn as to whether my son NEEDS this or doesnt NEED this help!! He is extremely SMART. He knows his colors, numbers 1-12, shapes and his entired alphabet and isnt even 3 yet.

I dont know why i am going on and on ....this is probably the entirely wrong thread...if this belongs somewhere else..then please move it if need be. sorry.
perhaps make a new thread?

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:18 PM   #56
mamato2kids

My reasons for homeschooling were not as pure as everyone elses. Isaac went to ps...and he is very very intelligent...and bored....we found that he was a behavior problem because of it....we were reminded that meds were a great options repeatedly....we kept saying that we thought he was bored and no one would listen.....then we had his IQ tested to prove to them that he wasn't just a "ADD/ADHD" kid that needed meds...and his IQ is 138. Well nothing much changed...so we decided to pull him out. Since he has been home we realized that he was left to read all day long...he is an avid reader (not an ADHD trait) and would literally read whole chapter books in a day....as long as he was quiet...they were happy!

We did pray and pray about it...and the answer seemed obvious...so we brought him home...we are discussing how long he will remain home...at this point dh wants him to return to school for 7th grade...I would like him to stay home until high school so we shall see....

we haven't decided if we will homeschool our dtr she just turned two....I figure we will montessori train her as we did Isaac for prek and then decide what is best for her!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #57
Jana

I just did a post about this on my blog last week. I homeschool for a ton of reasons, but I'll link to the main post here. If you want to read about why we STARTED to homeschool in the first place, go ahead and follow the link in the blog post.

http://joybox.typepad.com/the_joy_bo...sing_stat.html
Old 05-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #58
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to add "safety" to my list .... sad but these last few years have been eye opening both nationally and locally.... we've had schools in our area close because of threats

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #59
JavaMama
Rose Garden

JavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy
I'd like to add "safety" to my list .... sad but these last few years have been eye opening both nationally and locally.... we've had schools in our area close because of threats
Agreed. We'd already decided to homeschool but the horrible things these last few years have cemented our decision.

Even our small town schools have had trouble of various kinds... oral s*x in the upper elementary grades, school employees and the children attending school where they are employed being threatened by nutty neighbors etc.
Homebirthing mama and midwife

Always remembering my youngest brother JK, forever 14 months old
JavaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:47 AM   #60
Ned

Its so great to see this thread - here I was feeling gulity about just wanting my children around - thinking I was being selfish but hey.... God gave us this maternal instinct for a reason eh? What's so bad about not sending them to school anyway

My reasons are the same as most - there was also no way my kids were going to spend hours on the bus everyday travelling - forget that!

What a wonderful journey this is - we are learning together.