Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute
Default would high blood pressure meds do this to me?

I have been on high blood pressure med for almost 2 months now.
It does make my bp normal.
But recently I noticed I cannot see as well.
I guess I will need to go to the eye dr and get a new prescription.
I guess it could be my age - I am 45 and my eyes have been getting worse, but this seems to coincide with the meds.
Does anyone know if the bp meds mess with eyesight?
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: would high blood pressure meds do this to me?

Yes, they can--I know I've read this somewhere but I can't remember atm so I'm sorry I have nothing to back it up. Blood pressure meds can change the pressure in your eyes which can require a new prescription.

Can you try a different med, a lower dose, or natural remedies?

I've read a lot of info that blood pressure meds don't really solve the problem--it's still there. Of course, sometimes they are the only solution. I'm not trying to second-guess what you're doing since I don't know what you've tried already but I wanted to mention it, at least, since most doctors don't know about the alternatives.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

My eyes feel permanently damaged from postpartum pre-e. I'm still taking blood pressure meds, though.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the nurse at the drs office said she did not think that it would affect it, but the lady at the eye dr place said it could. So, I am getting bloodwork done tomorrow related to the blood pressure and will wait until after I see the dr again before going to the eye dr because I don't want to get new glasses and then if my med changes my eyes change again.
I don't know that natural things would help with my bp or not - I have a strong family history of it - and my younger sister has it and it is just my genetics and I don't think I can escape that - my diet is good, my weight is good and I am beginning to exercise and take some supplements. If I can get off the meds that would be great, but I am not holding my breath about it.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
Old 09-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

FaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond repute

It could also be damage from the high BP prior to meds, but also your age. I'm learning, because it is happening to me, that in your 40's, the muscles that control being able to focus up close and then far away weaken and basically stop working so well. Suddenly, I have to take my glasses OFF in order to read up close (I'm near sighted). I notice myself looking all around my glasses to focus on things, and then through them to focus far away. So it could be that.
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 31. The hard part about the vision change on bp meds for me is that it isn't consistent. Sometimes I can see. Sometimes I can't. There's distortion beyond what I've ever experienced when I needed new glasses, and I've been wearing glasses since I was 11.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
believer
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
I'm 31. The hard part about the vision change on bp meds for me is that it isn't consistent. Sometimes I can see. Sometimes I can't. There's distortion beyond what I've ever experienced when I needed new glasses, and I've been wearing glasses since I was 11.
That is what I am noticing too. It seems like at times I see better than at other times even within one day.

---------- Post added at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithHopeLove View Post
It could also be damage from the high BP prior to meds, but also your age. I'm learning, because it is happening to me, that in your 40's, the muscles that control being able to focus up close and then far away weaken and basically stop working so well. Suddenly, I have to take my glasses OFF in order to read up close (I'm near sighted). I notice myself looking all around my glasses to focus on things, and then through them to focus far away. So it could be that.
Actually, an eye dr explained to me that the muscles in our eyes work just as well as ever. It is the lens that becomes less flexible. So the muscles are pulling on it, but it is not stretching the way it used to.
I was able to take off my glasses or look under them and read ok, but now on the meds I cannot always do that. Sometimes I can read small print through the glasses if I hold it at a certain distance, but sometimes I just can't. And I work in a dept store and have to read upc numbers off of clothing and boxes and things and it is frustrating to have such trouble at times.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
Old 09-07-2009, 12:01 AM   #8
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

FaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond repute

How frustrating!

My eye dr. was the one who told me the muscles thing. He said they can prescribe these "flipper" tools that you use to block your eyesight and flip back and forth on distance in order to strengthen the muscles as your focus changes, but he said you have to practice 20 min per day and it only has effect for a short period of time. Eventually it won't help anymore. sigh!
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote