Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Canning / Preserving *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 07-16-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
kklibrarian
Moderator to Adoption & Foster Care, Cloth Diapering & EC, Gardening, Infertility, Large Families, and WOHM's

The Famous Belladonna Took

kklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Summer 2007 Canning Menu

Just because I hate seeing this section of the board so lonely with no posts....here's what I've canned so far this late spring and summer:

Mayhaw Jelly -- a dozen 8 oz. jars

Strawberry Preserves -- five 8 oz. jars that are already gone.

Peach Butter -- six 8 oz jars....this is delicious and sooo easy made with honey

Water Melon Rind Preserves -- five 8 oz. jars

Apple Jelly -- seven 8 oz. jars.....finally found a use for all of those cans of WIC apple juice

Chunky Salsa -- 5 8 oz. jars

Green Pepper Jelly -- 6 8 oz. jars.....my DH loves this on chicken or pork

Blueberries and Peaches in a Light Syrup -- 5 pint jars and 1 quart jar....tastes like summer in a jar

I'm still hoping to put up some more salsa, some more watermelon rind preserves, and probably some more variations on the WIC juice jelly (I've got about 6 cans of white grape juice in my freezer), along with some vegetables before the season is over.

If anyone wants to talk recipes or canning ideas....just let me know. I really enjoy canning and give most of what I put up away as gifts during Christmas.

Kelly
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jolie (dd) - age practically 20
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Sigh (ds) - age 15 or "thereabouts"
kklibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
Marzipan
Deactivated

Marzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer 2007 Canning Menu

Oooh. I'll definitely have to get some pointers from you at some point. My Mama's giving me her pressure cooker next time I see her, and I really want to can stuff.
Marzipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
kklibrarian
Moderator to Adoption & Foster Care, Cloth Diapering & EC, Gardening, Infertility, Large Families, and WOHM's

kklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond reputekklibrarian has a reputation beyond repute

I love to can. It's really pretty easy and the results are so pretty and tasty!

Kelly
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Old 07-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh, Ooh, I want to know!

My sis & are are planning to can the first weekend in August. We've done it before, but not since we were ten or eleven. We don't have a pressure cooker, but we use to do a boil, turn, wait to hear it pop method? Got any directions more specific that that?

I know we want to make peach butter, strawberry jam, spaghetti sauce & salsa... maybe some grape jelly. We're just so sick of HFCS bring in everything! Do you have any jam recipes without honey? We both have infants who may be eating this stuff in the next year.

So yeah, basically I want to know everything! In fact do you just want to come can with us?
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
kklibrarian

I'd love to come can with you if I was closer. Want to come to Louisiana and can? It's really lovely to get your kitchen stove steaming in the 95 degree heat!

You really only need a pressure cooker for low-acid foods like most vegetables and meats. Jams, jellies, and tomato products like you are wanting to do can be done in a hot water bath.

Most of my recipes are really basic and I picked up a lot of what I know from the inserts that come in the boxes of pectin and my grandmother's "Ball Canning Blue Book" that I inherited. I'll post my salsa recipe and my jelly and preserve recipes as soon as I get a chance.

Most of my recipes originally called for good old-fashioned sugar. I've wanted to experiment with a combination of sugar and stevia, but haven't really developed a lot of experience with stevia as a sweetener yet. You can replace honey with regular sugar and vice versa in most non-jelly recipes. You just have to get the proportions right. I wouldn't try it for jelly unless you use low-sugar pectin because regular pectin needs the sugar to be just right to gel.

Blessings,
Kelly
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Old 07-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
kklibrarian

Well my across the way neighbor just gave me a sack full of figs, about 10 lbs of pears, and a big ole mess of tomatoes that were grounded in yesterday's rainstorm, so I'm going to put up fig preserves, pears, and probably spaghetti sauce this week at some point.

Kelly
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Old 07-18-2007, 11:27 AM   #7
BHope
Rose Garden

Finding the Good

BHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh that sounds delicious!

DD1 (8 years old)
DD2 (6 years old)
DD3 (4.5 years old)

Eternally missing DFS3 (stored safely in our hearts) and DFS1
Praying for Little R as she transitions into a new family.
May you always know God's love and His comfort.
BHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
hbmamma
Deactivated

hbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklibrarian
Well my across the way neighbor just gave me a sack full of figs, about 10 lbs of pears, and a big ole mess of tomatoes that were grounded in yesterday's rainstorm, so I'm going to put up fig preserves, pears, and probably spaghetti sauce this week at some point.

Kelly
WOW...

I'll be back... I've just really started getting into canning..too much this week (moving and all) - but i'd love to hear your sauce recipe
hbmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
kklibrarian

This spaghetti sauce recipe is straight out of the Ball Blue Book. I changed the wording in the instructions to comply with the recipe guidelines here at GCM.

Basil-Garlic Tomato Sauce

Ingredients
20 pounds tomatoes
1 cup chopped onion
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup finely minced fresh basil
Bottled lemon juice

Instructions

Sterilize jars and lids.

Wash tomatoes; drain. Core and quarter tomatoes; set aside.

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until transparent. Add tomatoes. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Put tomato mixture through a food mill or strainer to remove seeds and peel. If you don't have a food mill you can peel the tomatoes when you core and quarter them.

Combine tomato purée and basil in a large saucepot. Cook over medium-high heat until reduced by one-half, stirring to prevent sticking. This takes a couple of hours.

Add 1 tablespoon bottled lemon juice to each pint jar. Carefully ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe rim and threads of jar with a clean damp cloth. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met-fingertip tight.

Process 35 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Yield: about 7 pints.

Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Old 07-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
MoongardenMama

I'm SOOOO impressed! And pea-green with envy!
I always remember my mother, whenever a female relative would come over, she'd take them downstairs to see what she'd already "put up" for the season,
and they'd all do the same when we went visiting. I just love that memory. OH! Do you have any pics of your stuff?!? I'd be thrilled to see it!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #11
kklibrarian

This is my recipe for pepper jelly. You can do this with green or red peppers. You can also adjust the ratio of hot peppers to sweet peppers to suit your own tastes for hotness. The original recipe I had called for 5 cups of sugar, but I cut that back to 4.5 cups or even 4 cups because I don't like it too sweet.

Pepper Jelly

5 jalapeno peppers ( or any variety of hot pepper)
3 large bell peppers
1 cup vinegar
2 cups of apple juice (I use plain old from concentrate juice from the store)
1 package of regular pectin
1/2 teaspoon of salt
5 cups of sugar (I usually cut this back to 4.5 cups and it's plenty sweet)

Wash, seed and cut peppers into 1/2 inch chunks. Place half of the peppers in food processor or blender with 1/2 cup of vinegar. Pulse until very chopped/soupy. Repeat with other half of peppers and vinegar.

Pour pepper mixture into a pitcher or large bowl. Add 2 cups of apple juice. Cover and place in refrigerator over night.

Strain the pepper and juice mixture. Discard pepper pieces. If necessary, add enough apple juice to equal about 5 cups of juice.

Pre-measure sugar into a separate bowl. Set aside.

Combine juice, pectin, and salt in large pot. Heat on stove top, stirring regularly, until it reaches a rolling boil. Add sugar. Stir well. Return to rolling boil while continuing to stir. Boil for 1 minute past rolling boil stage.

Turn off stove top. Skim foam from jelly if necessary. Ladle jelly mixture into hot jars, leaving a quarter inch head space. Place lids and screw caps onto jars. Process for 10 minutes in boiling watter canner.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Old 07-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #12
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

More recipes, please! I'm loving these!
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:36 PM   #13
kklibrarian

This is my cobbled together from various sources recipe for strawberry preserves (if you use whole strawberries) or strawberry jam (if you crush the berries after you let them soak in the sugar). It doesn't use added pectin and has an old-fashioned simpleness to it.

Strawberry Preserves or Strawberry Jam

6-7 cups whole strawberries
5 cups of sugar
1/4 cup to 1/3 cup lemon juice to taste

Wash, stem, and hull strawberries. If they are very ripe, sometimes I don't even hull, just stem. Place strawberries and sugar in a large shallow container and gently combine. Let the strawberries soak in the sugar for at least 4 hours, but they'll be fine overnight too.

Place strawberry mixture in a large pot. (This is the point at which I crush them for jam) Bring to a boil slowly on medium heat. Add lemon juice and turn heat back to a low simmer.

For preserves, simmer until the syrup becomes clear/syrup-y looking and the strawberries begin to take on a glossy translucent quality. For jam, simmer until the liquid is reduced and the mixture begins to thicken.

Ladle strawberries into prepared jars leaving one quarter inch head space. Place lids and secure rings on jars. Process 5 minutes in a hot water bath.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto
Old 07-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #14
Katherine

WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh!!

I want neighbors who grow fresh fruit and vegis! *I* want to grow fresh fruit and vegis!!!! *pout*

ok. got that out of my system, and I'm so glad you posted here!!! (I really mean it )

I want to try some of these recipes. I finally bought a pressure cooker/canner last year, but haven't used it yet. My Mom was terrified of them b/c one almost exploded on here (started blowing up like a balloon) but my Grannie used one her whole life. My mouth just waters remembering all the canned stuff we used to eat... green beans, strawberry / fig / pear preserves.... ahhhhhh!

Old 07-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #15
kklibrarian

This one for peach butter is one I developed on my own. You can put the peaches in a processor or blender if you want them really smooth. I like mine chunky so I just chop them up fine and let them cook down.

18 - 20 medium peaches
3 cups or so sugar or honey (can do this with either and the amount depends on how sweet your peaches are)

Wash peaches. Plunge peaches into boiling water for 30 seconds. Then plunge into a large bowl of ice water. This loosens the skins. Peel and pit peaches. Chop peaches into small pieces over a bowl to save the run-off juices or pulse in a food processor.

Place peaches in a large pot and add 2 cups of sugar or honey. Turn stove top to medium/low and cook the mixture slowly. Add sugar/honey to taste and press peaches with the back of a wooden spoon to further crush. Stir regularly to prevent sticking/scorching. Cook until the liquid cooks out and mixture appears more firm. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour of solid cooking.

Ladle mixture into prepared jars. Place lids and secure rings on jars. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.
Sky (dd) - age 21 ish
Jilly (dd) - age ditto