Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #31
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Creative ideas for more veggies

We don't like riced cauliflower as "rice" but I will add up to 1/2 a cup of it (from frozen) when I'm cooking ground beef or turkey.

I really need to make more of the THM okra recipes. I love the shakes I've tried, but haven't ventured into soups or baked goods.
bananacake (10-01-2017), charla (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #32
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
We don't like riced cauliflower as "rice" but I will add up to 1/2 a cup of it (from frozen) when I'm cooking ground beef or turkey.

I really need to make more of the THM okra recipes. I love the shakes I've tried, but haven't ventured into soups or baked goods.
I always really liked the Bean Boss soup.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #33
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

I add vegetables to everything. My kids know, and I don't hide it, I just DO it.

Tex-Mex meals make for the easiest add ins. I spiralize carrots and roast them with olive oil, salt and cumin, toss with lime juice just before serving. These make a good side, or taco fill addition. We love these. Diced radishes add a great touch of crunch to wraps/tacos.

I add shredded zucchini, carrots, diced mushrooms, and shredded kale to spaghetti sauce.

I make black bean soup with bagged broccoli coleslaw mix, or the big bags of pre-cut broccoli, cauliflower, and baby carrots that my grocery carries (Especially good when they go on clearance). A good puree of the soup before serving helps. if you want more info on this, let me know.

I shred zucchini into frittatas, or meatloaf, or anywhere when I'm making something with ground beef.

I serve sliced raw vegetables all the time, which goes over better than salads.

Um, I know I do more, but I'm stuck with recall right now.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
bananacake (10-02-2017), charla (10-01-2017), Maedchen (10-01-2017), Singingmom (10-02-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #34
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have thought about shredding zucchini into dishes. That's a great idea.

Yes, please tell me more about the black bean soup. I'm sure I can't get my whole family to eat it, but it might be a nice lunch for those who will.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
I always really liked the Bean Boss soup.
What is bean boss soup?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #35
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

crumbs! typed it out, but it vanishes.

Black Bean soup, easy edition.

Saute some onion and garlic in olive oil.
Add vegetables - I use a 2lb mix of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, or a big bag of broccoli coleslaw mix, or just toss in whatever in on hand.
Add a large can of diced tomatoes.
Add can of drained black beans.
Add about 2 diced potatoes.
maybe 2-3 tsp of cumin
Bring to boil and simmer until veggies are soft.
Puree soup, return to pot, and add drained can of black beans, and salt and pepper to taste.
Top with shredded cheese, or sour cream, if desired.

Simple, but tasty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
charla (10-02-2017), Lady Grey (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 06:14 AM   #36
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Kristin, I need to try this. Are you using chicken broth for your liquid? About how much?

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
charla (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #37
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

chicken or veggie broth

I pour enough to cover all the veggies. I make a large pot - maybe 6 cups of broth? It's a "loose" recipe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
charla (10-02-2017), Singingmom (10-02-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #38
Singingmom
Administrator

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight I made chili with extra veggies. To the ground beef as it was cooking, I added a grated zucchini, two grated carrots, and a few handfuls of chopped kale. It was better than ever!

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
charla (10-05-2017), ECingMama (10-05-2017), Maedchen (10-05-2017), MaybeGracie (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #39
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

I made these baked zucchini sticks tonight with our dinner and they were a huge hit, even with DS12! I gave him ranch to dip them in and he said he didn't even want it because they tasted so good! WIN!
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laurlor For This Useful Post:
charla (10-05-2017), ECingMama (10-05-2017), MegMarch (10-06-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #40
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Tomorrow for lunch, I am going to try to make veggie tacos using just sauteed zucchini, mushrooms, and bell peppers for the "meat" filling. And then I'll make my own homemade salsa. That should give us a good punch of veggies for lunch! If avocados weren't so expensive, I would have added guacamole, too. It's crazy, but my kids are excited to try these.
Save

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (10-12-2017), Singingmom (10-12-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 09:14 PM   #41
charla
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
Tomorrow for lunch, I am going to try to make veggie tacos using just sauteed zucchini, mushrooms, and bell peppers for the "meat" filling. And then I'll make my own homemade salsa. That should give us a good punch of veggies for lunch! If avocados weren't so expensive, I would have added guacamole, too. It's crazy, but my kids are excited to try these.
Save

We all loved these! When the chopped mushrooms cook down, they have the same texture and look as taco meat.

Tonight I followed y'all's advice and cleaned out the produce drawer by adding green onions, green pepper, mini red, orange and yellow peppers, mushrooms, garlic, zucchini, and fresh basil to my homemade spaghetti sauce and everyone loved it!

This is fun trying to figure out how to add more veggies to our diet. I'm so glad my family is on board. Thanks for all of your suggestions.
Save

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-16-2017), Laurlor (10-16-2017), Maedchen (10-17-2017), Singingmom (10-17-2017), tempus vernum (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 04:29 AM   #42
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I keep saying I need to increase our veggie consumption

This thread is inspirational.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
charla (10-17-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 06:47 AM   #43
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Can you all summarize what you add to ground beef? Besides mushrooms

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #44
Singingmom
Administrator

Grated zucchini disappears into ground beef as they cook. Depending on what else I have, a grated carrot (more than one adds too much sweetness IMO), finely chopped bell peppers, grated onion (disguises it better than chopping and it's fast)...someone said cauliflower rice but I haven't tried that yet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
bananacake (10-18-2017), charla (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #45
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

You can make your own cauliflower rice in the food processor - just pulse it into small pieces - and then add it to ground meat. I would imagine that you can make those cauli rice blends by just adding some other veggies to the processor. I've been adding cauliflower to loads of dishes this way, usually subbing for rice, though, not meat. Pureed cauliflower and radishes also make a nice thickener for "cream" soups.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
charla (10-18-2017)