Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 11-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Caecelia
Rose Trellis

Caecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond repute
Default When do you interfere?

I met up with a new friend at the library today and her 2.5 yr old and my DD started to play together. It was such a breath of fresh air to be around someone who believes in standing back and let kids interact in their immature, slightly aggressive, not at all polite ways. And it was awesome to see the two of them interact, shove a little, and figure out ways to play together. Thing is, unless I know for sure the other mom is cool with my DD shoving to exert her space, etc., I tend to nervously intervene kind of quickly. I definitely think there is a time and place to sit near by and intervene, and coach my child on polite behavior. But I also believe that as long as no bodily harm is actually being done, that lessons can formulate on their own. I'm afraid the other parents are going to yell at me though if I don't intervene. I feel out the situation, and if I see other parents are clearly not ok with pushing and shoving, I intervene more. (and to reiterate, I always interevene if I think she's being too rough) But I feel like I'm not being true to myself and what I believe, and feel helicopter-y. How do you guys handle things like this?
DD1, born at home 6/27/11
DD2, born at home 5/5/14

INFJ DYT 4 (why yes, my signature is bolded! )

RIP Dad (5/16/51-9/6/12) Always in my heart

Caecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caecelia For This Useful Post:
HealthymamaHappymama (12-05-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Glitterfish
Rose Garden

That's not grey in my hair, it's glitter growing from my head. Duh. (formerly of the sstarcake variety)

Glitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do you interfere?

Gooood question!

Punky
Peanut
Stinker
two we never got to hold
and one due in May 2015

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!". ~Mythbusters
Glitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
bolt.
Rose Trellis

bolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond repute

I have "a way I will require my child to behave" -- based in my own idea of what's reasonable, and I enforce it at all times, even when it doesn't matter. That's so that a small child doesn't get confused by different things being allowed/not in various scenarios.

However, the "way I require my child to behave" includes respecting the body of every person, so I intervened at any kind if shoving, snatching, or mild aggression. We basically don't even touch other children without welcome/permission.., and I don't allow mild aggression even in consensual pretend games.

Pam, 35 yo
Christian for 20 y
Married for 15 y
Mother to "J" 8 yo, and "M" 5 yo
INTJ, DYT 4, Canadian
1 more class until I'm done at Seminary
Adjunct Faculty at a Bible College
bolt. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bolt. For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (11-29-2013), Elora (11-27-2013), gerberadaisy (11-29-2013), itzj (11-28-2013), Johns_Gal (11-28-2013), KarenBoo (11-26-2013), Katigre (11-27-2013), MercyInDisguise (11-28-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

My DD is almost always the one being pushed, having toys taken, etc. Her friends have much more ... vim and vigor. I step in and say "Stop." Then I try to give a script DD can use as she gets ready. "She wasn't done yet. When she's done with her turn it will be your turn." Or "She doesn't like being pushed. What problem can we solve?"

In the past month or two, I've found that DD is speaking for herself. Now that she does, I step in more slowly and try to encourage problem solving rather than "you naughty beast, leave my angel alone."
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Caecelia
Rose Trellis

Caecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond repute

So I guess I'm in the minority in the not interfering camp. I mean, Respecting body boundaries, holding a no hitting standard is a part of life over here, as well, amd I do strive to teach and reinforce those ideals consistently, but I also believe that there are aspects of learning the finer details of social interaction that she just needs to figure out on her own. Some of this view for me is born out of the fact that it seems developmentally appropriate for toddlers to be physical in their interactions, and I see a difference between aggression and 'aggression' if that makes any sense. I really have little to no problem with her exerting her boundaries with a little shove to communicate herself. The words are starting to come on board as well, since it's something I work with her on. But every little shove, I just don't see as realistic or beneficial for me to always step in and correct. And I'm ok with another little kid communicating in the same way. If things start to get out of hand, I step in. Or if I had a child who was particularly sensitive, or if she is having a particularly sensitive day, then I help her be assertive. So that's what I'm talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD2, born at home 5/5/14

Old 11-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caecelia View Post
So I guess I'm in the minority in the not interfering camp. I also believe that there are aspects of learning the finer details of social interaction that she just needs to figure out on her own.
I don't believe in letting toddlers navigate social situations with other toddlers on their own, and I stop any physical aggression against others immediately (followed by redirection or "use your words" and modeling what they could say, even with my 15 months old). My friends and I are all very hands on at that stage because that's when patterns of respecting others' body boundaries are being set. It's much more pleasant for everyone if basic "no grabbing/pushing/shoving" manners are enforced by the adults. Some kids are a lot more sensitive to that than others, and feel very intimidated by even minor physical dominance by other kids at that age.

When kids are elementary years is when I step back and let them figure social/friendship situations out with more backseat guidance because by that point they are more rational, have good language skills, good communication patterns, and I've spent five years building into them the ways to be a good friend and kind playmate. That is the best age for practicing independent friendship and social skills without instant input from me (unless something really warrants it like bullying, intentional exclusion of another child, or a physical altercation).

So I don't think we'd play together much because it seems we have very fundamentally different philosophies of how to handle typical toddler behaviors (the physical communication). That's ok - but you should be aware that it may lead to a label of your child as a bully because of your intentional acceptance of the shoving. Most parents feel that shoving/pushing are the same camp as hitting, and don't view it as "natural" behavior not want to stifle but something to be prevented as much as possible. No one's child wants to be shoved around.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

Last edited by Katigre; 11-27-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (11-29-2013), Elora (11-27-2013), houseforjoy (11-27-2013), sweetpeasmommy (11-28-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't mind allowing a little "aggression" if I felt like both kids were on the same wavelength but with my DD it was just her getting overrun

I'm never offended by her pals' behavior, I just want to help my kid have her say too. She used to be so hesitant to speak up and would just step aside and later she'd tell me she didn't like it. I realized she needed me to help her.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Caecelia
Rose Trellis

Okay. This is helpful, and gives me a lot to think about. I tend to err on the side of caution, and interfere more than I am 'comfortable', but it's good to hear it from the other side, so to speak. Perhaps my perspective could use some shifting. Thing is, I can see value in both approaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegMarch View Post
I wouldn't mind allowing a little "aggression" if I felt like both kids were on the same wavelength
This is, ideally, where I'm coming from, and perhaps that's why the situation worked so well yesterday.

I'm finding this topic is hard for me to navigate.

DD2, born at home 5/5/14

Last edited by Caecelia; 11-27-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
everybody's mother
Rose Bouquet

everybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to behold

I am another that prefers to hang back and see if they figure it out themselves. I will definitely step in if either child is getting upset or dominated, but I don't think it is awful as long as you are watching carefully. I will also correct a pattern of aggressiveness, but not necessarily lunge after every little thing. With some kids it helps them be more comfortable with physicality, because it's not a big deal. I do take immediate steps, though, if anyone seems intimidated or bothered. It really depends on the kid, and I am much quicker to interfere in defense of the playmate. I don't know someone else's child's tolerance as well as my own child's.
everybody's mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Up til about 6 zero aggression is tolerated and I always intervened. Over 6 and boys play rough and everyone is having fun? Fine. One must also learn to recognize when that's not the case both parent and child. Never with a little though.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
tazmom
Rose Garden

tazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond repute

For me, it depends on a bunch of factors. Generally at 15 mo, I was right there directing the kids with my first two children.

My oldest didn't hit or shove. She talked early and well so I focused on giving her lots of scripts and enforcing rules about sharing etc.

My middle was a late talker and would let other kids walk all over her until she snapped and then she would attack them. It was better to keep everyone playing nicely to prevent anyone from getting hurt.

My youngest is super independant, enforced her own boundaries very early on, and learned quickly that when she hurt other kids they may hurt her back. I was able to be pretty hands off with her. There have been many occasions where another mom and I would carefully watch from the sidelines ready to intervene if necessary, especially when she would try to "play with" her nemesis. (Yes, my 4 yo has a nemesis. )

Wife to the car guy for 21 years
Mom to my kids
T - Fifteen
A - Thirteen
Z - Ten
tazmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tazmom For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (11-29-2013)