Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Slow Cooker Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #16
Apple-Saucy
Deactivated

Apple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 30 Days of Crock Pot Recipes

Carmelized onions

6 onions sliced. 2-3tb olive oil. Cook on high over night. Use in eggs, or on pizza...they also freeze fairly well.

Fall chicken
3 apples peeled cored and quartered
3 onion peeled and quartered
6 chicken pieces (I usually use boneless skinless chicken breasts but you can use whatever really)
salt pepper
and a palmfull of dried thyme (1.5tb maybe??)
1/2 cup of water.

Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low 8-10 hours.
Apple-Saucy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apple-Saucy For This Useful Post:
gentlemommy (09-09-2011), ncsweetpea (09-08-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #17
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute

Do the apples in that chicken make it really sweet? I'm trying to branch out buy my kids shy away from anything that makes meat sweet, like BBQ sauce.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #18
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Posted via Mobile Device
heartofjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:32 AM   #19
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

ncsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond repute

Great ideas so far! Keep 'em coming!
ncsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:47 AM   #20
mokamoto
Climbing Rose

Mama to two little sweetpeas and loving wife to my Darling tech buff

mokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to all

I'll have to cbl with my tried and true ones. Heading off to bed now (nearly 10 pm here.)
Old 09-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #21
Apple-Saucy
Deactivated

Apple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatmom View Post
Do the apples in that chicken make it really sweet? I'm trying to branch out buy my kids shy away from anything that makes meat sweet, like BBQ sauce.
The onions and apples really go well together kind of balances everything. And you're cooking the chicken ON TOP of the onion and apple so the chicken is more "essence" than coated....if that makes sense...

You can definitely use less apple for a more savory flavor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Apple-Saucy For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #22
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Normally I would shy away from mixing fruit and meat, too. A good friend of mine grew up with this recipe, her family raves about it, and I tried it last night:

-in the clrockpot, mix equal amounts of brown sugar and apple juice (I did half the sugar because I ran out and the sauce was plenty sweet and delicious)
-add 2 pork loins, mostly defrosted from the freezer and then pan seared
-the liquid should come at least half way up the side of the meat, but does not need to cover
-I cooked for 5 hours on high, but it can be left all day on low.
-before serving make a gravy with the sauce while the meat rests
-serve with mashed potoatoes

My eldest told me that she prefers a savory gravy, but everyone in the family enjoyed this meal. I'm typically not a big fan of pork or potatoes, but I will be making this again.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #23
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

boneless pork roast, 2 apples, 2 sweet potatoes. cut up apples and s.p. and put on the bottom. sprinkle with cinn and brown sugar and tabs of butter. put roast on top (season with salt and pepper and whatever else you like) cook on low all day, when done pull roast out and then mash the apples and s.p. together.

rice and beans--2 c brown rice, 1 c black beans (i used dried beans but soak them the night before- you can't put them in without soaking) 6 c water, 1 large can of tomatoes, seasoning (lime juice, salt, cilarntro) cook on high for 6 hours (or if you use canned beans put on low all day)

i make beef strog. too, but it is much more involved then the above one.

baked potato soup is also good. cut up some potatoes pour in some chix stock, season. cook on low all day. then at mash/blend it up ( i usually scoop a couple chunks out before mashing and then put them back in so that i have something to chew) and serve at the table with sour cream, cheese, and bacon or croutons

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
ncsweetpea (09-08-2011), RiverRock (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #24
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute

Oergano chicken

1paclet of itslian dressing mix
a stick of butter or sub
dried oregano. Like 1-2tbls

mix aboove pour over chicken cut up any type.

ignore typos on my phone
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
MudPies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MudPies For This Useful Post:
ncsweetpea (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #25
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

ncsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokamoto View Post

I'll have to cbl with my tried and true ones. Heading off to bed now (nearly 10 pm here.)
Thanks looking forward to it!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #26
Apple-Saucy
Deactivated

French Beef and Carrot Stew

1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
2lbs beef stew meat
1 lb of carrots (peeled and cut into 1-2in chunks)
1 14oz can stewed or diced tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup beef stock/broth
1 heaping TB Herbs De Provence
1 TB flour

Put a slab of butter or some oil into a skillet. saute chopped onion and garlic until translucent add beef stew meat and cook until all sides are browned. Toss in flour and stir it around. Scrape everything into your crock pot. add the rest of the ingrediets. Cook on low 8hours or high 4 hours.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apple-Saucy For This Useful Post:
ncsweetpea (09-08-2011), RiverRock (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #27
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

Some fairly easy ones that my family loves... Sorry if these are repeats, but we have to head out in a few minutes... change all amounts to what you need... we generally double.

"Simply Delicious Pork"
1.5lbs boneless pork loin or chops
4 medium yellow delicious apples sliced
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

place pork in crockpot, cover with apples. Combine spices in a small bowl and sprinkle over apples. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.

---------------------------------------------------------

Harvest Ham Supper

6 carrots sliced in half lengthwise (I just cut mine into chunks)
3 sweet potatoes sliced in half
1.5lbs boneless ham
1 cup maple syrup

place carrots and potatoes in bottom and ham on top, pour syrup over ham and veggies. Cook on low 6-8 hours.

----------------------------------------------------

Old world chicken and veggies

1 Tbsp dried oregano
1tsp salt, divided
1tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 medium green peppers cut into strips
1 small yellow onion thinly sliced
1 cut up whole chicken (3lbs)
1/3 cup ketchup

combine oregano, 1/2 salt, paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper in small bowl, mix well. Place bell peppers and onion in slow cooker. Top with chicken. sprinkle with oregano mixture. Cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours. Then stir in ketchup and 1/2 tsp salt and let cook a bit longer.

------------------------------------------------------

kat's slow chicken

3lbs of chicken
1 jar pasta sauce
1med onion sliced
1 med bell pepper sliced
4 carrots cut up
1 rib of celery cut up
4 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup water divided
1 to 2 Tbsp cornstarch

combine all ingredients except water and cornstarch in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours. Before serving combine 2tbsp water and 1tbsp cornstarch in small bowl. Stir until smooth. Add to slow cooker. Cook on high an additional 15 minutes or until mixture thickens. (really good with mashed potatoes)

----------------------------------------------------------

Vegetarian Lasagna (Awesome! but time consuming to prep... I'm assuming you could pre-prep some of the things and it would make it easier)

1 small eggplant, sliced
1 med zucchini, sliced
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBSP olive oil, divided
1TBSP butter
8 oz mushrooms, sliced (we don't use these)
1 small onion, diced
1 can (26oz) pasta sauce
1tsp dried basil
1tsp dried oregano
2 cups ricotta cheese
1/5 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
1 package whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked and drained (I don't precook mine)

-Sprinkle eggplant with salt, let sit 10-15 minutes. Rinse and pat dry; brush with olive oil. Brown on both sides in medium skillet over medium heat. Set aside.
-Heat remaining olive oil and butter in same skillet over medium heat; cook and stir mushrooms and onion until softened. Stir in pasta sauce, basil and oregano. Set aside
-Combine ricotta, Monterey Jack, and 1/2 cup parm cheese in medium bowl. Set aside
- Spread 1/3 sauce mix in bottom of slow cooker. Layer with 1/3 lasagna noodles, 1/2 eggplant, 1/2 cheese mixture. Repeat layers once. For last layer, use remaining 1/3 lasagna noodles, zucchini, remaining 1/3 sauce mixture and top with remaining 1/2 cup parmesan.
-Cover; cook on low 6 hours (takes mine about 4 normally) Let sit 15 minutes before serving.
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #28
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsweetpea View Post
I often make baked potatoes in my crock pot. Wash, wrap in foil, and bake all day!
when I did baked potatoes in the crock pot they came out brown inside rather than white. It was kind of a turn off. Did I do something wrong or just pick the wrong potatoes?
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #29
Indigo
Climbing Rose

Indigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to behold

Right now I have a very simple soup cooking in the crockpot: Salsa Blackbean Soup

1 car of salsa (your choice of hotness)
1 large can of black beans, drained
1 can of corn, drained
1 carton of veg. or chicken broth

Pour it all in, let it cook for a couple hours. I like to have it w/cornbread & a salad. You could even add some chicken to the crockpot if you wanted to hearty it up. That of course would add to the cooking time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Indigo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #30
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpmommy View Post
when I did baked potatoes in the crock pot they came out brown inside rather than white. It was kind of a turn off. Did I do something wrong or just pick the wrong potatoes?
I don't know...never had that to happen! What kind did you use?

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

http://onceamonthmom.com/chicken-swe...cooker-recipe/

This one looks promising as we have plenty of butternut squash in the garden.