Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cats on the cheap

We really want to get a pet, and we all fell in love with a cat we saw for adoption at PetSmart today. Obviously I don't want to gamble with an animal's health, but are there cheaper ways to feed a cat well than the $1.10/tiny can (on sale!) of all-natural cat food we saw there? Do they HAVE to have cat food or can you feed them canned tuna, salmon, etc less expensively?

And what are the best options for litter? (Both brand and places to buy.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Inspirational Women's Fiction author
Children's storybook author
Homeschool coach
NovelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cats on the cheap

They have to eat cat food Muscle meat alone is not going to meet their nutritional needs, and a balanced diet is going to significantly reduce their chances of needing veterinary care for digestive issues, allergies, bladder stones, etc So basically, the money you'd save would need to be funneled right into a medical fund

Now, I make my own cat food from *whole* ground chicken and supplements. Comes out to about $20/month per cat, and it's been fantastic for their overall health

As for litter, the best "cheap" option that we found was the large bags of pelleted horse bedding that you can buy at any large animal supply or feed store, usually for about $5-$7 for a 40lb bag. It doesn't clump up, but that's not a deal-breaker IMO. It does cover smells nicely

The one tricky thing about litter...

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

And while I'm not convinced that every single cat needs to live an indoor-only lifestyle, you do have to factor the outdoors into your expenses if you plan to let kitty roam. Namely, the higher risk of injury and/or disease (and, along with that, the potential need for more regular vaccination). Sheltered lives are cheaper to maintain.
kiloyd (10-30-2014), Rivendell Raven (10-14-2014), Virginia (10-14-2014), Zooey (10-14-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

While I really can't say if it is the best for a cat's health, anecdotally, my cat growing up and my current cat only were fed dry cat food. Neither have or had any health concerns. My cat growing up lived to be 16 and died of old age, and my kitty now is 14 and still going strong. We buy a hairball control formula, and find he has the most problems with hairball when he is fed tidbits of people food (he loves dill pickles, green olives and cheese) and when he's not been brushed enough.
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to backtobasicsmum For This Useful Post:
Elspeth (10-22-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

My mom also makes her own cat food with a powder supplement made for cats. She believes in raw meat diets for cats.

Cats need clean, clean, clean litter boxes or they may pee elsewhere. Maybe have a box on every level.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
cheri
Rose Garden

cheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond repute

I had cats my entire life until my I had kids with severe cat allergies

They're really not cheap pets. They do need cat food. Canned tuna can actually make cats sick. And ITA that higher quality food equals fewer health issues. They really do need wet food to be healthy.

And if you let your cat go outside, there are vaccinations that are an absolute must. You can't be anti-vaccine with pets. And flea prevention (and you can't get a cheapie collar that's actually dangerous, you have to get the expensive stuff like Frontline) I had an indoor cat when I lived in an apartment and it got fleas I guess from the neighbor's dog, so I dealt with fleas even with a cat that never went outside.

Litter, again, ITA that they'll choose their litter. And if they don't like it, they WILL go outside of the box. Or if it's not clean enough, it will go somewhere else.

I think you have to have some money set aside for vet bills, too. Not just the vaccines, but health stuff. I had a cat with urinary tract issues. And a cat that ate something that made it sick.

cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Our cat can't have gluten or she gets very loose bloody stools and ends up going everywhere even with super clean liter. Ideally would be a raw diet but honestly our fridge freezer space is so limited now I just don't want to full time.
Their are a few "lower" quality brands that at least overall eliminate the hrsh fillers and gluten cats REALLY don't need the classic variety of fancy feast is one (must be the classic) Sheba is another these run around .50-.60 a can.. With the more premium brands you still have to be somewhat careful some I'd say are pretty good others again use too many odd fillers above all cats need protein.
Like my kids our cat is also super picky.. She hates anything pate like or anything with turkey.. We use http://www.petflow.com/product/natur...FcRcMgodvWgAbQ though not this flavor since I just said she doesnt like turkey LOL run just under $1 each and she gets 2 a day.. So yea it is cheaper than many options but still kinda expensive. Ours is also an indoor out door pet she she catches and dines that way as well. (We watch her devour lizards and desert rats pretty often)

liter wise I'm super picky and so is my cat.. We use ever clean in unscented it is a clay clumping liter which some believe isn't cat safe but we have no issues it will be something you'll have to decide your self. It also isn't cheep but works wayyyy better than anything else we tried and it lasts a long time and we tried so many things. It also one of few that doesn't irritate my asthma but it could to another.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Weve had issues with kidney failure eventually claiming our dry food only cats. Even high quality grain free. Maybe because of where we live. Dry hot weather. We use dry to sumplement but wont do only dry again.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #8
mrskellyray
Seedling Rose

mrskellyray is on a distinguished road

We always bought good cat food and good litter because it works better. Cheap litter means more stink!
mrskellyray is offline   Reply With Quote