Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #16
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not showing any emotion on your face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcilvainmama
uhhh yeah L&L doesnt teach emotionless faces at all. weird. i know it does a great deal of actually saying that we need to emulate and give real empathy and cmpassion ad not be sarcastic or ungenuine about it. it is really positive. again....not the cure-all but in my extensive reading of L&L books it does a great deal of teaching the importance of compassion, empathy, and positive, non-punitive parenting.
Hmm, must not be L&L that they are following then. I don't know. I'll ask her. I know C's school is very much a L&L school and I love their tecniques.

Maybe they are talking about the parenting class they are having now. It's based on the book Parenting Is A Ministry by Craig Castor. http://www. parentingministry.org/

I read some of it and it's very pro-spanking.. So I don't know if that is it or not.. I really do need to ask.
Okay, I just skimmed through the workbook on this class, and yes, it is from this class.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #17
shirelingmum
Rose Bouquet

"My lips will praise You!"

Location: Pacific Northwest (otherwise known as Middle Earth)
shirelingmum is a glorious beacon of lightshirelingmum is a glorious beacon of lightshirelingmum is a glorious beacon of lightshirelingmum is a glorious beacon of lightshirelingmum is a glorious beacon of lightshirelingmum is a glorious beacon of light

oh man...that totally blows...ick. i'm so sorry! i hope there's maybe a good gentle way you can break it to them that that isn't at all biblical to present emotionless parenting! hey...at least we know the truth, eh?? i seem to remember someone else here on the board asking about that very curriculum your fellowship is starting. weird that they would do this one after L&L. because Faye/Kline are very anti-spanking. huh... :/
shirelingmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #18
hey mommy
Rose Garden

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the pastor had nothing to do with it. He hasn't even read the book. I talked to him about it and he said to talk to the guy who was leading the class. I haven't done it yet b/c I've been working in the nursery on the nights the class is going. Apparently the author of the book is going to be there to speak one night. I'd love to pick his brain.. Maybe I should pass out some GBD articles then and see what happens.. teehee

Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Old 02-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #19
Granola_mom
Rose Trellis

Just me :o)

Location: Phoenix, AZ. Quite possibly the hottest place in the universe, beside the sun of-course..
Granola_mom is just really niceGranola_mom is just really niceGranola_mom is just really niceGranola_mom is just really niceGranola_mom is just really nice

Ya, that's not Love and Logic. I'm quite complelled to it. Especially the books regarding schools and discipline with troubled kids.
Nothing I've read ever is about being emotion-less........rather to seek to understand the child and strive to build them up.

Wife to my dreamy hunka man. 16yrs!!!!,

Momma to my 15yr old athlete
Momma to my 10yr old little snuggle bug
Momma to my 4 year old little thinker!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
doesn't mean I don't get angry. I just try my best to treat my boys the way I would like to be treated, with love and respect.
Granola_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #20
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute

I have a very expressive face, for better or for worse. My parents though were of the stuff your emotions mindset. It's been hard for me to figure out how to handle my emotions, I'm getting better at it though. Now my boys will say I'm angry/scared/mad. I couldn't do that at age 3-4 yr.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Beauty4Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #21
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlebirth
I think by not showing emotion on your face, you're doing your child a great disservice. You're the safest place your dc has to learn about handling big feelings, and if they can never guess what's going on under the surface, you're teaching them very little by example. Robot parents are scary enigmas.
This I teach my DD to look at the WHOLE picture like we talk about what God would like of us but not just God would like you to listen to your parents but senerios and why. Mommy rushes in and says QUICK get into the car NOW eyes wide open voice loud and commanding... Would we obey? Why? Would we ask questions right then? and we talk about how my voice would sound paniced how my facial expression would be on urgent concern and how it would be appropiate to listen and ask questions latter... or Hey honey get your shoes on and go to the car.. me smiling sing song voice my voice would show joy a playful moment urgency wouldn't be as important so asking where while finding shoes would make sense.. ect we also talk about when her teacher asks or a sitter or a friend. DO there eyes look silly or serious are they asking a good thing or a "bad thing" (hey go put this braclet in your pocket ect) is there voice one of concern do they sound tired and can you help? ect emotions help us interact.

Deanna
Old 02-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #22
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

Those are some really good thoughts, Deanna!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #23
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
2. B/c when kids look at you while you are talking to them, you want them to listen to your words. If you have a mad face and are saying "I Love you, you need to do such-and-such" then all that sinks in to them is a mad face.
I do believe that it's important to keep our control and not give mixed messages to our children. Learning to control our negative feelings is a sign of maturity. But there is also a value to emphasizing the seriousness of our message with a consistent face and words.

Quote:
1. b/c you are supposed to be representing Jesus to your children. By remaining emotionless, you allow your words to have more impact.
The idea that Jesus is emotionless is heresy imo
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #24
hey mommy
Rose Garden

Those are some good thoughts Deanna. My FIL is rather grumpy & abrupt sounding most of the time(okay, all the time), so C has a hard time figuring out if he is joking or not. I wink at C to let him know 'grandpa is just being silly'. I do the same when I'm being silly. I might have a mad look, saying something that sounds mean, but a wink tells him I'm joking.

Not sure if that is relavent.. I'm tired & busy and not thinking straight right now..

A