Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute
Default poor boy has a massive cavity!!! BlueIce CLO question

I have slacked off so bad in the last year with dental health for all my boys, and last week I was checking the 5 yos mouth and he's got a big fat cavity, not just the little brown dot... a portion of his tooth is already missing. I am so upset with myself... but so totally motivated to fix this!!!
We have gotten back into a routine of brushing twice a day and flossing... but I also want them to take cod liver/butter oil... (which I bought a while ago and never made them take)
We are two days into taking the oil, first day was no problem... today was really really hard...

Finally at bedtime I was flossing while they lay in bed and muttering about how we really gotta be good about taking the oil and I think he was struck with anxiety because instead of falling asleep immediately like usual he was up for an extra hour, coming out several times to tell me he felt like throwing up, followed by tears about the oil, and asking me to pray for him.... over and over and over.

My SIL just peaked at his cavity and said her son had a bigger hole in his tooth and she healed it with the cod/butter oil... this was my only hope! I will never get this anxious boy into the dentist...
Any tips? Should I fork out the money for the cinnamon flavor even though we have 2 bottles of chocolate here? (I heard it was a little more palatable)
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for squiddles:
Rivendell Raven (09-15-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 04:54 AM   #2
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation
Default Re: poor boy has a massive cavity!!! BlueIce CLO question

They do make capsules with the blend, if he can swallow those. Or you could do the FCLO capsules with a jar of butter oil since that tastes pretty mild. Cost wise getting him to take a teaspoon of the gel is least expensive option, but if he's having that much trouble with the taste it might be worth it.

The cinnamon is very strong. I have one that loves it and the rest find it too hot. We've yet to try the plain gel so I don't know if it can be masked by another flavor or mixed in anything. I do a little bit of honey with the chocolate sometimes.

My kids go through phases where they can't stand any of the flavors, and other times they will request it. I can't force it but if I can afford it I try to keep some capsules for my ds who can swallow pills.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
squiddles (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 06:54 AM   #3
Wild Asparagus
On Suspension

Wild Asparagus is on a distinguished road

Subbing.
(but not the ones that hurt;
'cause that ain't the truth
and that's not what it's for)
Please take me to church.

-Sinead O'Connor
Wild Asparagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! I got him to take it with a big blob of raw honey today :yay
I'm also bribing him with a dollar every five days so he can buy new Legos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, the biggest preventatives will be daily brushing - especially at night before bed! That is the most important time to brush for cavity prevention. Xylitol also helps a lot. We use the gum by Epic Dental.

I would look into pediatric dentists in your area. They are often very experienced at working with anxious kids and helping them see the dentist as a positive place.

I personally don't believe its wise to try to heal a massive cavity on your own. I would get it filled and try to prevent in the future.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (09-16-2014), WanderingJuniper (09-18-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
MamaSam
Rose Bouquet

MamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to all

I'm wanting to try to heal cavities here too,but I have one that I'm pretty sure is going to need filled. I was going to buy the butter/clo but I don't know enough about it...people eating liver confuses me because isn't the liver just a filter? How is that safe??

I was also looking at xylitol but I'm reading mixed reviews on the safety of xylitol.
MamaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

I am careful about where I get my liver, but I trust Green Pastures and their sourcing and fermentation process. The liver is not warehousing toxins it's putting them out for garbage pick up.

We weren't doing FCLO for the first few years after my oldest got his first cavities. If I remember right he was around kindergarten age when I was first alerted to them. The cavities were in baby molars. I left the pediatric dentist who wanted to fill them and started seeing a holistic dentist who was comfortable just watching them. We started FCLO about two and a half years ago along with a big diet change. The baby teeth fell out on their own, I believe it was just this past year. The depth of the holes were more obvious once the teeth were out, but the rest of the tooth looked great. His adult teeth came in perfect, contrary to the pediatric dentist's prediction. It was a lot of effort, the dietary changes we made in the past few years especially, but we avoided the drill.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (09-17-2014), MamaSam (09-17-2014), sweetpeasmommy (09-17-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
squiddles
Climbing Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWithMyBabies View Post
I am careful about where I get my liver, but I trust Green Pastures and their sourcing and fermentation process. The liver is not warehousing toxins it's putting them out for garbage pick up.

We weren't doing FCLO for the first few years after my oldest got his first cavities. If I remember right he was around kindergarten age when I was first alerted to them. The cavities were in baby molars. I left the pediatric dentist who wanted to fill them and started seeing a holistic dentist who was comfortable just watching them. We started FCLO about two and a half years ago along with a big diet change. The baby teeth fell out on their own, I believe it was just this past year. The depth of the holes were more obvious once the teeth were out, but the rest of the tooth looked great. His adult teeth came in perfect, contrary to the pediatric dentist's prediction. It was a lot of effort, the dietary changes we made in the past few years especially, but we avoided the drill.

Would you mind giving examples of diet change? I have horribly picky eaters, so we might end up needing to fill this one big one and then hope for prevention from here on out...
Here's a pic of the cavity, (the brown spot on he other tooth isn't a cavity... It's Been there unchanged for five years and already examined by dentist.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

We started GAPS for other issues in the spring of 2012. It's got a number of similarities to the diet recommended in the book Cure Tooth Decay which I suggest checking out. We haven't had any grains in that time at all, and out beans and nuts are limited and generally soaked prior to eating. Our sugar is from fruit and a little raw honey.

We don't use fluoride products or get the treatments (our holistic dentist doesn't offer them anyway). I haven't been consistent with the FCLO/BO over the years but I do try to keep up with it. I think keeping blood sugar stable is important, and getting fat soluble vitamins. I found our dentist via a search on the holistic dental association website, if you are interested, it was nice to have a dentist who was willing to watch and wait but could do a non amalgam filling if we decided to proceed with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
squiddles (09-19-2014), sweetpeasmommy (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

C had much dental work right around 3, iirc. As soon as his teeth came in, they had grey spots, which later turned to decay. We had him checked often, but by 3 it was no longer able to wait. By 5, his teeth were crumbling again.

We switched from fluoride to xylitol which helped, but also went gluten free at that time. They seemed to progress slower and his baby teeth started falling out which got rid of a few cavities.

At 6.5 he started GAPS and his new teeth were coming in perfect. He's had one cavity which hasn't progressed since the first diet change and that tooth fell out a couple weeks ago. I think it is the same tooth from your pic actually. It might be the first time since he's had teeth that he is cavity free.

We still use xylitol, only in toothpaste, never for consumption as it's hard on the gut. Back in the day, I used to do everything recommended by dentists and none of it slowed it a bit. Now we allow a bit of sugar and he has 9 yo boy hygiene habits and still things are good, better than ever actually.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
gdzprncess (09-18-2014), squiddles (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Is it hurting him? Baby tooth? If baby tooth would have him start trying to wiggle and get it out. I wonder if you could get the capsules and put in a big spoonful of applesauce to swallow.They are fairly soft and arent as big as some.Maybe trying that and telling him that would alleviate his angst about the oil.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote