Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Hobbies and Crafts *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Hobbies and Crafts *Public* The place to talk about crafts, sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.
A public forum.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did anyone attend Stitches South in Atlanta

This was my first year to ever go to Stitches South in Atlanta. WOW! I was so amazed at the beautiful yarns. It took us 6 hours to meander through the event. I could have gone for more and maybe will look at classes next year. (I am praying I can go back)

We touched and petted a skein of yarn that was $83 a skein. LOL Baby Camel is expensive yarn. We purchased from a couple of people that were selling yarns for $5 acrylic and some $10 a skein. The $10 a skein I bought was marked originally for $43 a skein. (I bought 2 and hope to make a shawl for myself.)

If you have never heard of Stitches South, (I think they do one for the North, Midwest and West), do a google search and it would be worth your time to go if you are a serious crafter.

They had weavers, knitting, crochet, threads, and even crafting with jewelry.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
allisonintx (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did anyone attend Stitches South in Atlanta

I attended DFW Fiberfest two weeks ago. It was FABULOUS...and yea, there was one little 200m ball of lace weight yarn I fondled that cost about 100.00 .

It took me about six hours to do the Merch floor, too. Everyone is so cheerful and friendly. Fiber people are so much fun!

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter and I were talking about how friendly all the other shoppers were (and vendors too) I do not know if it was the whole creative vibe going on in the building, but it was so worth attending.

I have fibro and have been in so much pain I can barely move without wanting to cry. Next time I go, I will have a rolling suitcase for purchases so I do not have to carry anything........even with that, it was so worth it to go and see such pretty things and get ideas on what to do with my stash.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
allisonintx
Rose Garden

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

A rolling cart is a great idea.

I think everyone is so happy and generous with their good feelings because there is very little anxiety when talking to anyone. Everyone has something in common, and you know it. There's no "weird" in any fibercraft and everyone revels in their Fandoms and geeks out over related fiber things....and appreciate and compliment one another's taste and interests all day long.

I have a couple of policies/strategies that might help you with keeping the weight down.

I don't take business cards or any paper from any vendor. I take pictures of them with my phone. Paper is SO HEAVY.

I don't buy anything that isn't "on special" for the event. I take a picture of the item, and the logo of the store (which always includes their website) and buy later, online, or put on a wish list for my mil. This also allows me to double check price comparisons online.

I only take a bag from the first vendor I purchase something from, or in the case of this fiberfest I bought a project bag and put my purchases in that rather than take bags from every purchase.

I'll make a collage of my pics that will be fun.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

Maedchen (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds lovely. I'm not a fiber person, but I'd totally meet you there next year!!

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zak For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
allisonintx
Rose Garden

(the yarn I actually bought.)

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen

. . . . . . .

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (04-13-2014), Maedchen (04-13-2014), Vipers_Princess (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Looks amazing!

Our local "Fiber Tour" is coming up the last weekend in April, where about 20 area farms open for tours, sell roving and yarn, have spinning and other demonstrations, introduce people to the animals, etc. It is so much fun. Our "Fiber Festival" isn't until September; it's at our large county fairgrounds. I hope to get there this year - every year previous something has come up.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any way to find out where these are? I want to shop too

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

I've attended Stitches West for the past few years, and it is such a fun time! I try hard to limit my budget. Here's my full basket of fiber/yarn from this year: http://instagram.com/p/kuxCsaMgC1/

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Loved the pictures Allison............the one with your hand in the picture, I had to look really close at. It looks like my hand coloring.... LOL Even the shape of your fingers is very similar to mine.

The picture you have of the 50% off yarns looks like where I went a little crazy.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

I am not sure how you find out the information on where the next one is located. Possibly Ravelry? I only found about this one through my daughter.

The yarns in the basket are beautiful!

Next year we will probably be taking my daughter's service dog. (He is in training now) That maybe a royal experience then.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #11
allisonintx
Rose Garden

http://www.tnna.org/page/SWGFestivals/?

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen

. . . . . . .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (04-13-2014), Maedchen (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #12
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonintx View Post
Thanks!

My state isn't even on the list.....bummer.... oh well.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #13
Vipers_Princess
Rose Garden

Vipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond reputeVipers_Princess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post
Loved the pictures Allison............the one with your hand in the picture, I had to look really close at. It looks like my hand coloring.... LOL Even the shape of your fingers is very similar to mine.

The picture you have of the 50% off yarns looks like where I went a little crazy.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

I am not sure how you find out the information on where the next one is located. Possibly Ravelry? I only found about this one through my daughter.

The yarns in the basket are beautiful!

Next year we will probably be taking my daughter's service dog. (He is in training now) That maybe a royal experience then.
http://www.knittinguniverse.com/stitches/

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

I'm plotting Stitches Midwest for a weekend away this year.

For someone who 'only' knits scarves, blankets and that sort of thing and only basic stitches, I seem to find myself at a lot of fiber events.

Next weekend is a local fiber fest back in our old hometown. http://www.thefiberevent.com/ It's 30 minutes away and gives me an excuse to check in on Dh's grandmother, who is rapidly declining health.

Then in early summer we will go to http://www.hoosierhillsfiberfestival.com/ which is an hour from here but well worth the trip. Last year dd2 spent $$$ and used all her yarn. I only spent $15 on yarn and have yet to use it because I just didn't like it. This year I plan to have a bit more $$ to spend so I can get a couple skeins of something really nicely.

Oh & apparently I'm an INTP
Vipers_Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vipers_Princess For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #14
allisonintx
Rose Garden

That kind of knitting showcases amazing yarn so much better than complicated stitch work.

I'm a big fan of simple knitting with exquisite yarn.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen

. . . . . . .

Maedchen (04-13-2014)