Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
Kiera
Rose Trellis

Kiera has much to be proud ofKiera has much to be proud ofKiera has much to be proud ofKiera has much to be proud ofKiera has much to be proud ofKiera has much to be proud ofKiera has much to be proud ofKiera has much to be proud ofKiera has much to be proud ofKiera has much to be proud ofKiera has much to be proud of
Default Ok, freaking out... MSG

So I was watching the 700 club this morning and they talked about MSG. That it's linked to Alzheimer's, Depression, and many other things. It is almost in EVERY food. It had about 15 different hidden names. Everything in my kitchen has it. What do I do? I cannot expose my children to this any longer! OMGosh, I have such a fear of Alzheimer's because I took care of my great grandma for about 5 years with it. It was horrible, I don't want anyone going through that! If I can prevent it, I will. Do any of you have a MSG free diet? I am going shopping tomorrow, I have a few brand names that I can get and I'm just going to do the best I can. I feel like throwing out the food that has it but we can't really afford that so I am just going to not buy it anymore. Am I going over the top?
Writer, Student Midwife

Wife to Kris 8.17.06

Mama to:
Audrey, 11
Olivia, 8 (Healed from ASD & Birth Trauma)
Addison, 5
Evelyn, 2

Joshua, 8/15/13
Willow, 8/14/15 (Homebirth to Cesarean)
& 3 in Heaven
Kiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:33 PM   #2
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok, stressing out... MSG

MSG is something we try to avoid, but I think finishing up what you have is OK. I'm betting the Alzheimer's is after high amounts of MSG over a prolonged period of time.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:33 PM   #3
waterbaby

My mom was telling me about this. Interested to read replies.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:43 PM   #4
MaryK

Dr. Russell Blaylock talks about MSG (maybe he was on the 700 club?? I missed that).......a good movie to watch is "Sweet Remedy"...that is the second movie made by a girl with MS. Her first movie was "Sweet Misery" about Aspartame. My 6 yr old has Asperger's, and we've been avoiding MSG for the last 2 years like the plague. From what I have read, it can cause brain damage in a baby if a mother eats it while pregnant. Could explain the Asperger's. I wasn't careful about what I was eating, other than avoiding the usual stuff like diet soda and shrimp. We've even stopped eating out, except for 3 places (the only 3 I can eat at without getting sick).......but we eat gluten free Asian food (probably has MSG), and Chicken soup Chicken from the Burrito place (soups usually have MSG), and plain chicken and veggies from a local Chinese restaurant (also probably has MSG)..........so.........it's hard to avoid, but we really try. A big one is "natural flavors"...you never know what is really in it. It's really hard to avoid that!!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 11:50 PM   #5
gentlemommy
Deactivated

gentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by gentlemommy; 04-16-2014 at 10:18 PM.
gentlemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute

This is a really interesting web page with lots of good info on hidden MSG.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:43 AM   #7
gentlemommy
Deactivated

gentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by gentlemommy; 04-16-2014 at 10:20 PM.
gentlemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
MaryK

There are "natural" forms of MSG that qualify as "natural flavorings"....so it is easy for companies to HIDE it in their foods. Another great website with lots of MSG info is: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/
Old 02-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #9
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiviAudsMami
So I was watching the 700 club this morning and they talked about MSG. That it's linked to Alzheimer's, Depression, and many other things. It is almost in EVERY food. It had about 15 different hidden names. Everything in my kitchen has it. What do I do? I cannot expose my children to this any longer! OMGosh, I have such a fear of Alzheimer's because I took care of my great grandma for about 5 years with it. It was horrible, I don't want anyone going through that! If I can prevent it, I will. Do any of you have a MSG free diet? I am going shopping tomorrow, I have a few brand names that I can get and I'm just going to do the best I can. I feel like throwing out the food that has it but we can't really afford that so I am just going to not buy it anymore. Am I going over the top?
I dont think you're going over the top. When I found out all the yuckness to msg I threw out everything in our kitchen that had it. Dh's and my headaches went away. Now we have headaches occasionally instead of almost daily. And I also havent retained water since
me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
MaryK

Just a reminder that anything with artificial sweetners is just as bad, such as Aspartame, Aspartate, Splenda, etc......
Old 02-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #11
herbalmama

MSG is a big nono. It is basically based on an naturally occuring substance that gives food an extra umph .. such as stewing tomatoes.. gives it that richness and fills you up faster .. by artifically putting that into foods, it tricks your brain into thinking it is eating that flavor
tricking your brain can cause troubles.. I have a close friend whose dh has MSG poisening .. it was not a long term build up .. it hit him suddenly in his early 30s
He was an attorney and now cannot work and has tics both verbal and physicial
it did not slowly come about, but suddenly his body had enough

i didnt check out that link, but i assume it lists all the names MSG is hidden under.. PLEASE everyone go check it out and do not feed it to your kids or yourself
you are not at all going over the top.. you are a mama bear protecting your kids
Old 02-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

We try to avoid it as much as possible, but aren't MSG by any means (though I wish we were).

I try to stick to unprocessed food as much as possible.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #13
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I feel like throwing out the food that has it but we can't really afford that so I am just going to not buy it anymore. Am I going over the top?
No, that is wise. We avoid it too as it is one of the things I was found to be sensitive to.

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote