Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Good anti spank article for Facebook

Got this link via Dulce de Leche on FB this morning--easy share link for Facebook at the top of the article
http://www.scrippsnews.com/content/c...ral-punishment
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jandjmommy For This Useful Post:
ClassicMom (03-24-2011), Damselfly (03-29-2011), dulce de leche (03-23-2011), Maggie (03-29-2011), rjy9343 (03-31-2011), Stiina (03-29-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
raining_kisses
Deactivated

..a little child, born yesterday, A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed... ~"Hymn to Mercury"

raining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good anti spank article for Facebook

I wish I had the courage to post this, but I already have family not speaking to me over fb articles, so I guess I won't go there. I enjoyed the article very much though, I might PM it to certian people on my fb. Thanks!
raining_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raining_kisses For This Useful Post:
jandjmommy (04-05-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
KnittingHappy

Thanks!

I shared it on FB.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
jandjmommy (04-05-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh, thanks for sharing! What a great read I'm not sure I'm ready to share it on Facebook with all my friends and family, but I'll hold onto it until I'm ready.
Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
jandjmommy (04-05-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's a really well-written article and he makes excellent points! I enjoyed reading it but I've decided not to post it because of this sentence: "In fact, mostly, I suspect, we hit children simply because we can." While I understand where he's coming from I don't believe that is true of most people who spank because they believe the Bible says to do so. I hated spanking my children but I believed if I stopped I was disobeying God. Most, if not all, of my acquaintances who still spank would fall in the religious category. It seems like this article would be really helpful for secular spankers though.

Thank you for sharing that!
Damselfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Damselfly For This Useful Post:
jandjmommy (04-05-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

ORANGE you glad I made a new avatar? :D

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute

This actually makes me somewhat wish I were still on fb....but otherwise, I'll be sending it to some people.

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin
Blessed AP, Homeschooling mama to:
Aneliese age 13, Breena age 10, and Caden age 7

gpsings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpsings For This Useful Post:
jandjmommy (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadeswan View Post
That's a really well-written article and he makes excellent points! I enjoyed reading it but I've decided not to post it because of this sentence: "In fact, mostly, I suspect, we hit children simply because we can." While I understand where he's coming from I don't believe that is true of most people who spank because they believe the Bible says to do so. I hated spanking my children but I believed if I stopped I was disobeying God. Most, if not all, of my acquaintances who still spank would fall in the religious category. It seems like this article would be really helpful for secular spankers though.

Thank you for sharing that!
"In fact, mostly, I suspect, we hit children simply because we can." --I've been thinking about this like the new cell phone laws. A few years ago, it was known that talking on your cell while driving was not the safest idea, but it was lumped in with other things like changing the radio station or drinking coffee as other accepted though not inherently safe actions people take every day [while driving].
Now that it's against the law to talk on the phone while driving, it has quite quickly become surprising to see someone crazy enough to risk a ticket over a phone call, and I feel terribly guilty when I break that law, though I spent 90% of my drive time on the phone *before* the law was in effect and didn't think anything of it.
To twist that to spanking, with a simple No Spanking law and a big budget to advertise the consequences of breaking the new law, I think most people would actually comply without much fuss.
I guess that's because most people, when I ask them *why* they spank, their answers are not typically well thought out--maybe people are just waiting for someone to tell them to stop.
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #8
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

Anytime you speculate about another's motivations, it needs to be better thought out than this. "simply because we can" isn't going to convince anyone to stop. It undermines the other points the author's making because anyone reading that will have their excuse to dismiss the author for being wrong when they know they have more complex motivations than that.

Better yet, don't speculate about another's motivations. You can only lose credibility with the people you're trying to reach.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Damselfly (04-05-2011), ECingMama (04-08-2011)