Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #1
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Let's talk about how to clean.

What tools do you like to use to clean your white baseboards? Just a wet cloth?

What do you like to use to clean tile showers? What cleaner and what tool? I currently use one of those sponges with the green scrubber on one side with Softscrub spray cleanser. And I don't do it often, for some reason I hate cleaning tubs and showers. I wipe down the sinks and toilets with disinfecting wipes every other week or so or as needed but I put off the shower.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about how to clean.

Subbing.

I try to avoid chemical cleaners. I use Young Living thrives cleaner for a lot of stuff. I also use Dawn and vinegar for a lot of scrubbing stuff like our bathtub and shower (adding baking soda if I need a little bit of abrasion).

But I am not great at cleaning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 03:59 PM   #3
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

Baseboards - baby wipes. A friend told me, and it is great.

Tub stuff - I squirt dish soap and splash vinegar into a dry tub, then scrub the heck out of it with a broom. Add a little water, scrub more, then rinse with the shower sprayer.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Damp microfiber cleans so many things. That's what I use for almost all surfaces.

I use a scotch blue scrubber or a magic eraser for tubs and showers.

I make a dilute vinegar spray with EOs for a general cleaning spray that I use on almost everything.

I do buy Bar Keeper's Friend for really tough jobs and for hard water deposits.

I use a steam mop on the floors.

I use baby wipes for quick bathroom cleanup.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

I always use baby wipes for cleaning painted surfaces like baseboards, door frames, and doors. I'm also a big fan of the vinegar-Dawn mix for showers - equal parts in a spray bottle, spray thickly and leave for an hour, then scrub and rinse thoroughly.
For shining sinks and faucets I sometimes mix baking soda and peroxide into a paste - use gloves. It's good for stove drip pans too.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.

Last edited by Maleldil's daughter; 12-17-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-17-2019), Virginia (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 06:45 PM   #6
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
Subbing.

I try to avoid chemical cleaners. I use Young Living thrives cleaner for a lot of stuff. I also use Dawn and vinegar for a lot of scrubbing stuff like our bathtub and shower (adding baking soda if I need a little bit of abrasion).

But I am not great at cleaning

I gave up on natural cleaner for tubs and showers. But use vinegar/water/essential oil for some things.

I'm not a great cleaner either. I do dishes and laundry most every day. I do dusting now and then, I don't like it. I don't like the nitty gritty cleaning.

I do like the Swiffer Duster though. Used that yesterday on the kitchen chandelier.

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleldil's daughter View Post
I always use baby wipes for cleaning painted surfaces like baseboards, door frames, and doors. I'm also a big fan of the vinegar-Dawn mix for showers - equal parts in a spray bottle, spray thickly and leave for an hour, then scrub and rinse thoroughly.
For shining sinks and faucets I sometimes mix baking soda and peroxide into a paste - use gloves. It's good for stove drip pans too.
I do not miss having drip pans! Have glass top now.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 12-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #7
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post
I gave up on natural cleaner for tubs and showers. But use vinegar/water/essential oil for some things.

I'm not a great cleaner either. I do dishes and laundry most every day. I do dusting now and then, I don't like it. I don't like the nitty gritty cleaning.

I do like the Swiffer Duster though. Used that yesterday on the kitchen chandelier.

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

I do not miss having drip pans! Have glass top now.

Because my daughter bathed in the tub, I am pretty adamant about not using chemicals in there. It’s easy to clean.

It’s my stand up shower with all the tile and grout I can’t get clean Ugh. Maybe I do need to suck it up and use gross chemicals.

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #8
kiloyd
Rose Garden

I keep disinfecting wipes in each bathroom and when needed I wipe off sink and toilet and maybe floor around toilet and baseboards too.

I love Fly Lady's saying "housework done incorrectly still blesses your home".
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
lavenlove (12-27-2019), Virginia (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 07:01 PM   #9
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

I don't use commercial cleaners either. I use bicarb/vinegar/essential oils for everything.

I use microfibre cloths for dusting and use them damp to avoid spreading dust as I'm an asthmatic.

I use a combination of vinegar, lemon essential oil and clove oil to clean my shower. The commercial cleaners just "cover over" the mould/soap scum etc, that's why they keep coming back.

I do use some Dr Bronner's castile soap for more stubborn stains.
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mummy2boys For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #10
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
Because my daughter bathed in the tub, I am pretty adamant about not using chemicals in there. It’s easy to clean.

It’s my stand up shower with all the tile and grout I can’t get clean Ugh. Maybe I do need to suck it up and use gross chemicals.

I hear you. I probably really only clean the tubs/showers maybe every 3 months, you know the deep down, scrub every corner cleaning. In my other house I was just sprinkling baking soda in my tub and scrubbing. When we moved out and I was really trying to clean it (fiber glass), I realized that the baking soda was not enough.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
Virginia (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #11
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Clean My Space by Melissa Maker is a game changer
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-18-2019), Lady TS (01-04-2020)
Old 12-18-2019, 03:11 AM   #12
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

This!

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #13
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmummy07 View Post
This!
I’m glad you like it too!

I love how she tells you how long each chore takes.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #14
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Ok is this a book or what?

Itsou da like something I need

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

I found it at my library

How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #15
ECingMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Ok is this a book or what?

Itsou da like something I need

Yes. Book. YouTube channel too
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-18-2019)