Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Soy cheese is yucky....help!

So dd is df, not necessarily vegetarian/vegan. The only cheese I could find w/o casein in it was Galaxy Nutritional Foods(I think that's the brand) and I got mozzarella and cheddar for dd.

She has not had cheese in eons. Well, let's say about maybe 9 months. Oh, wait, we were doing the every 4 day give her dairy thing for a few months but since she's got this cold I am declaring her dairy-free to help ward off ear infections...

So anyway, I was excited to have found this cheese for dd because then the boys could have their real cheese for a snack.
Dd takes a bite of hers and puts it back on her plate. Then she starts breaking it up and saying 'yucky' and left it on her plate. I tried putting mustard on it for her but she still did not want it(she likes mustard, k? )

So...
What do I do with these two blocks of spendy cheese($4 a block-not good for the budget)? Is there a way to make them palatable?

And are there any other dairy-free cheeses out there that actually taste good and are child-friendly?

Maybe I should just give up on replacing things in her diet...but it's really hard to let the boys eat normally when they can't have a lot of things I would normally let them eat, because dd wants what they have. :/
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soy cheese is yucky....help!

Um... ...is this a lost cause to find a recipe to make this 'cheese' edible?

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
joystrength
Rose Garden

Get it? Sock.Monkey. ????

joystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud of

because we have 2 DF kiddos and a VERY NEWLY-DF mama (who's trying to figure out how to live w/o cheese ... and ice cream .. and milk .. but that's another post!)

His joy IS my strength! Live a life of HIS purpose

How long will it go on? If you keep living the way you are living, then you will keep living the way you are living. If you want your life to change, then CHANGE your life. Live differently, for repentance is a way of life. -- DH!

joystrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I far prefer many of the "veggie/vegan" alternitives to many things but NOT cheese I just cannot stomache the veggie soy ect cheese.

Deanna
Old 10-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

This stuff is very bitter.

I was going to try and trick dd and let the boy have some cheese cubes. I got out dd's soy cheese and opened the bag and dd looks at me and scrunches up her face and says "That cheese yucky!". Can't get it past her. She's probably wondering why I keep trying to give her yucky cheese!

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 10-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy
I far prefer many of the "veggie/vegan" alternitives to many things but NOT cheese I just cannot stomache the veggie soy ect cheese.

Deanna
Sorry, no help here. Non-dairy cheese is just , IMO.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Would it be palatable made into mac&cheese? With...salt?

Maybe the boys could have their cheese while she naps? I know how hard it is, but my allergic child is 11 now. He still doesn't like it when others get yummy things he can't have, and I do keep that at a minimum, but he's old enough now to understand and not get upset about it.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

I try to wait until she is napping for the boys to get cheese, but this little girl only takes a nap like once a week! The cheese from WIC is piling up in the fridge!

We've pretty much quit having mac 'n cheese....maybe I will try to make some for her tonite to see how it goes...

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 10-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I just thought of something else... sometimes if my boys have candy, I'll send them out for a walk to enjoy it while my dd is occupied. Maybe your boys could go for a nature/cheese walk.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #10
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingmom
I just thought of something else... sometimes if my boys have candy, I'll send them out for a walk to enjoy it while my dd is occupied. Maybe your boys could go for a nature/cheese walk.
hmmmm...maybe I can work this cheese thread in with my 'they won't go outside' thread....

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity