Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:18 AM   #1
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teal Pumpkin Project

I'm posting here for it to get the most exposure.

The Teal Pumpkin Project is to get out awareness about food allergies but also to encourage those who hand out candy for trick or treat to have some non-food treats on hand as well for kids who are allergic. Here's some more information.

I found out about it too late last year & only put out a small sign. I might do a pumpkin this year.
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerberadaisy For This Useful Post:
Carini (10-03-2015), KarenBoo (10-04-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teal Pumpkin Project

I think it is so cool that they are doing this but at the same time I wish they were asking for something a bit less time consuming and messy than painting pumpkins a certain color. I'm willing to pass out allergen free treats but not necessarily willing to take on yet another holiday project YK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
I think it is so cool that they are doing this but at the same time I wish they were asking for something a bit less time consuming and messy than painting pumpkins a certain color. I'm willing to pass out allergen free treats but not necessarily willing to take on yet another holiday project YK?

They have signs. Last year I just taped the sign to my door. I've seen some people post the sign on a bucket & put it at the end of their drive or where ever they'd have put the pumpkin. It doesn't HAVE to be a real pumpkin. The signs print out a teal pumpkin.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerberadaisy For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (10-03-2015), Carini (10-03-2015), KarenBoo (10-04-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

I will probably just do the sign then.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
gerberadaisy (10-03-2015), KarenBoo (10-06-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Carini
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

If you don't stop naming nuts....

Carini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond repute

We're doing it this year! My daughter was diagnosed with peanut and egg allergy this summer, and my oldest has Celiac disease. Thanks for spreading the word!

ISTJ
Wife to J - 2004
Doops - 10/2010
Sweetie Girl - 7/2014

Carini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carini For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carini View Post
We're doing it this year! My daughter was diagnosed with peanut and egg allergy this summer, and my oldest has Celiac disease. Thanks for spreading the word!

I'm fortunate that my little guy has no food allergies but my mom has celiac & a younger brother is allergic to raspberries. I used to babysit for a family where at least 2 of the kids has severe allergies to just about everything & none of them had the same allergies. It has to be rough.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #7
Carini
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

If you don't stop naming nuts....

Carini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teal Pumpkin Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberadaisy View Post
I'm fortunate that my little guy has no food allergies but my mom has celiac & a younger brother is allergic to raspberries. I used to babysit for a family where at least 2 of the kids has severe allergies to just about everything & none of them had the same allergies. It has to be rough.

It is rough. Honestly, I hate it and I've had a hard time dealing with both diagnosis's. They both came within weeks of each other and my youngest was only a year. But I'm glad there is awareness and research. I hope for an allergy cure or treatment within their lifetime. And the Celiac disease is challenging at times but I don't worry like I do with the peanut allergy.

ISTJ
Wife to J - 2004
Doops - 10/2010
Sweetie Girl - 7/2014

Carini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carini For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #8
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

We should probably do this. My middle is celiac and when she was smaller every Halloween we ended up having to take half of her candy or more. Glow sticks are a good idea.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Carini (10-03-2015), KarenBoo (10-06-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 03:32 AM   #9
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

I love this idea! We are totally doing this! I'm ordering prism glasses to hand out.

My kids love to go trick-or-treating and then come home fast and hand out their candy to other trick-or-treaters. So we'll have candy *and* non-candy treats on hand!

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
Carini (10-04-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 06:59 AM   #10
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

We colored a sign last year

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #11
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

I just bought a box of 12 glow sticks from Walmart, a dozen pens plus & a dozen little bubbles for $1 each from the Target $ bins. We give out anywhere between 60 & 100 items a year (we give out Wendy's Jr. Frosty coupons & live in one the NYC boroughs) so now I have 36 less of those to buy (but will probably still buy because they support foster adopt).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerberadaisy For This Useful Post:
Carini (10-06-2015), KarenBoo (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #12
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

What a great idea! If we celebrated Halloween, I would totally do this!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Carini (10-06-2015), KarenBoo (10-06-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 04:55 AM   #13
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

If it's ok with the OP, I'd like to hear from others what deals you've found Last year, we bought allergy-friendly candy, but it was expensive.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
gerberadaisy (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 05:35 AM   #14
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
If it's ok with the OP, I'd like to hear from others what deals you've found Last year, we bought allergy-friendly candy, but it was expensive.
absolutely.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #15
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

Some ideas here: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/201...ea5e2b-5975825