Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would cause intermittent blurry vision in a 10yo? update from appointmentpost 24

I'm taking her to the eye doctor tomorrow. When she has it, she wakes up with it and has it all day. The only causes I can come up with is migraines (she does get headaches frequently, as do I), diabetes (no other symptoms), or a brain tumor. Other ideas? Ideas about the likelihood of any of these scenarios?

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day

Last edited by Aerynne; 04-24-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would cause intermittent blurry vision in a 10yo?

I think migraines. It sounds like some of the kind of symptoms that I sometimes have when a migraine is coming on. And I have one cousin who says, that whenshe gets migraine, she sometimes completely loses the sight in her one eye.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
Dtswife
Rose Bouquet

Dtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond repute

My brother had that as one of the earliest symptoms of a brain tumor. More followed, but that was the first weird thing.

The optometrist was actually the one to have him rushed to the hospital for surgery because he could see something was very, very wrong during an eye exam. Until then, my parents thought it was chronic debilitating migraines (an Eye, Nose and Throat Dr. told them that - I think they should have reported him to the AMA).

Married since May 2010 to DT
Mama to Zoe 8/1/13
Baby number two due May 17th 2015

Dtswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

Any chance it's allergies? I get stringy whiteish eye goop on days the pollen is bad. It gets stuck to my eyeball and I don't notice it just from looking in the mirror, I only realize it when my eyesight is blurry. Once I clean it out it's fine.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooey View Post
I think migraines. It sounds like some of the kind of symptoms that I sometimes have when a migraine is coming on. And I have one cousin who says, that whenshe gets migraine, she sometimes completely loses the sight in her one eye.
Interesting. Migraines wouldn't surprise me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtswife View Post

My brother had that as one of the earliest symptoms of a brain tumor. More followed, but that was the first weird thing.

The optometrist was actually the one to have him rushed to the hospital for surgery because he could see something was very, very wrong during an eye exam. Until then, my parents thought it was chronic debilitating migraines (an Eye, Nose and Throat Dr. told them that - I think they should have reported him to the AMA).
Thank you for being honest with me. Dd has an eye doctor appointment tomorrow and I'll be biting my nails until then. Glad to know eye doctors can see something is wrong if there's a brain tumor (at least sometimes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWithMyBabies View Post
Any chance it's allergies? I get stringy whiteish eye goop on days the pollen is bad. It gets stuck to my eyeball and I don't notice it just from looking in the mirror, I only realize it when my eyesight is blurry. Once I clean it out it's fine.
Maybe. How do you clean out the goop if you can't see it?

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Dtswife (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
Maybe. How do you clean out the goop if you can't see it?
I don't notice it until I go looking for it. It comes off in a long string. It's gross. Sometimes I use homeopathic allergy eye drops and that helps keep it from getting too sticky.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
Aerynne
Rose Garden

So I just gave her an eye test and it came out 20/20. Granted it was "for educational purposes only" but that is still interesting. She's the one claiming her vision is blurry. I have no doubt it seems blurry to her, but I'm not sure what's going on (and she did say her vision was blurry when I gave her the test).

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 04-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

When my son was having eye problems he was sent for an MRI. Hopefully your appointment goes well. Follow your gut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #9
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLewis View Post
When my son was having eye problems he was sent for an MRI. Hopefully your appointment goes well. Follow your gut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How was the MRI and what did they find? She now says she isn't sure the blurry vision is intermittent. It might be constant.

I was driving around town with her tonight and asking her about things she could and couldn't see clearly. It seemed her vision is only slightly worse than mine (corrected- uncorrected I can only barely read the E at the top of the charts.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 04-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
ChristmasGirl
Rose Garden

love~joy~peace

ChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Another thought is head injury (concussion)...headache and blurry vision can follow one...just something to consider if there's been a recent bump to the head that find' tween significant at the time. I've also seen this in migraine too.

❀married to my sweetie for 26 years
❀mom to Lizzie 24 and Eli 20
ChristmasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChristmasGirl For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-24-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #11
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

You can have 20/20 vision, and have it still be blurry. Blur is a function of the accommodative system rather than the focusing system. (Though the systems are similar and I can't yet explain the difference. I'm still learning...)

She could be having binocular issues and just need vision therapy. Ask the optometrist if that's a possibility.

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue-EyedLady For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-24-2014), Llee (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 04:16 AM   #12
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Astigmatism, maybe?
I have a spot in my left eye that is always a little "off". Turns out that its astigmatism.
But it was never caught when I was a kid, because I couldn';t explain what the problem was. Maybe "blurry" means something different to her than it doea to an adult.
Aerynne (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #13
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

Has she compared each eye by itself?

There are so many possible kinds of causes of blurred vision. If it truly is intermittent there are a few serious things that should be ruled out.

I will just point out that you can see 20/20 vision but it can still seem blurred. And seeing 20/20 vision does not rule out pathology.
Posted via Mobile Device
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-24-2014), Zooey (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #14
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Forest View Post
Has she compared each eye by itself?
Yes, they are both blurry but one is worse.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following User Says they are praying for Aerynne:
Zooey (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #15
teamommy
Rose Garden

Spring!

teamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond repute

Hope the appointment goes well.
teamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teamommy For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-24-2014)