Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 03-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #31
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laura Ingalls and Whipping (spin off)

I can't remember where it was said but ma does feel "the only good Indian was a dead Indian." In don't think pa agreed. I think he knew why there were troubles and did his best to be diplomatic. I remember when he had a pipe with one and they were just quiet, but it was pleasant.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
ShepherdsWife (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #32
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooey View Post
I agree. When Rose wrote her own stories about the same period, they were completely different in style from Laura's books.

Any how.....I actually wanted to say that Laura gave many interviews to magazines, & on radio, and one of the things she told about, was the fact that she only was spanked once & that was the time in the book. She also said that her mother didn't believe in spanking, & never, not even once did she hit any of the children.
She had never intended to put that one incident in the book, but both her editors & Rose told her that no one would ever believe that she had never been spanked, so she reluctantly put it in. After that, she refused to make up more whippings because she wasn't going to lie about it.
Yet Carrie suggested she have Mr Brewster whip Clarence as he deserved. . Maybe because he was a teenager.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #33
Joyanne
Deactivated

Joyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of lightJoyanne is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I can't remember where it was said but ma does feel "the only good Indian was a dead Indian." In don't think pa agreed. I think he knew why there were troubles and did his best to be diplomatic. I remember when he had a pipe with one and they were just quiet, but it was pleasant.
That was the neighbor, mr. Scott that said that in the little house on the Prairie book and Pa disagreed.

In Christ,
joy
Joyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #34
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooey View Post
I actually wanted to say that Laura gave many interviews to magazines, & on radio, and one of the things she told about, was the fact that she only was spanked once & that was the time in the book. She also said that her mother didn't believe in spanking, & never, not even once did she hit any of the children.
She had never intended to put that one incident in the book, but both her editors & Rose told her that no one would ever believe that she had never been spanked, so she reluctantly put it in. After that, she refused to make up more whippings because she wasn't going to lie about it.
That's very interesting, as it's on direct opposition to her original draft "Pioneer Girl." This was the original, shorter version, before the editors other than Rose got their hands on it. I just today finished a story of where Caroline and Aunt Martha were annoyed with the kids making too much noise. Aunt Martha told Caroline to go up and spank all the kids, then if they would not quiet down, she (Martha) would go up and spank them again. Caroline went up and spanked all of them, including Mary and one other girl cousin who hadn't really been doing anything.

Anyway, here is the Amazon listing for the book. I would suggest the library, though, as this book is a HUGE hardcover. About 90% of it is notes and annotations from the research that was done separately from the manuscript. I would strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about Laura's *real* background. Apparently even most of the true stories were edited/fictionalized/moved around in time for better dramatic effect.

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (04-02-2015), ShepherdsWife (04-02-2015), Sparrow (04-06-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #35
Elibellamiah
Rose Trellis

Elibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if she's making a distinction between being whipped with an object and a spanking. She had to have been spanked more than just once because she wouldn't have known she "deserved a spanking" for throwing a fit about sitting quietly on Sunday if spanking wasn't a normal thing for her. But it could be that the time when she hit her sister was the only time she was whipped.
Elibellamiah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elibellamiah For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (04-04-2015), Quiteria (04-04-2015), rjy9343 (04-04-2015), Zooey (04-09-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 03:07 PM   #36
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elibellamiah View Post
I wonder if she's making a distinction between being whipped with an object and a spanking. She had to have been spanked more than just once because she wouldn't have known she "deserved a spanking" for throwing a fit about sitting quietly on Sunday if spanking wasn't a normal thing for her. But it could be that the time when she hit her sister was the only time she was whipped.
I was only spanked about five times, never whipped. I still knew when I *deserved* a spanking. I wish my parents hadn't spanked at all or ever threatened to. It has made it harder for me to parent. I wish I'd had better modeling.

This thread has been fascinating.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (04-04-2015), Zooey (04-09-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #37
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elibellamiah View Post
That makes a lot of sense given the time and what was expected in that time. As a child, there is not much difference, but for an adult, there is a big difference.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
ShepherdsWife (04-04-2015)