Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Slow Cooker Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 08-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Non soupy crock pot meals?

I am buying a crock pot against my will. I've never liked them as it seems all the recipes are the same and usually end up some kind of gravy like slop that you have to serve over rice

With our schedule this year I have to be more realistic. We are out of the house a lot and most activities are a very long drive away. That means at least a couple of nights a week we get home very late and everyone needs to eat. Last year I just got a pizza on the way home but I'd rather avoid that this year. I don't want to cook or to do sandwiches because it's not substantial enough although I may do that sometimes. Anyways that leads me to reluctantly buy a crock pot.

So will you give me your absolute favorite crock pot meal? Please?
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #2
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non soupy crock pot meals?

Have you ever used a presser cooker? They cook thing much faster than normal with out turning everything to the same texture.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (08-26-2015), Mother of Sons (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

Kalua Pork - pork butt with salt and liquid smoke. Easy and my husband was like I guess it could go over rice but it's mostly used for sandwiches and I think some people like it on baked potatoes?

A chicken. Seriously, ball up some foil or chunk an onion and put that under a chicken that's cleaned up and put on whatever seasoning you want. Skin is uggo, though you could probably broil it before serving if you want? But the meat is really great.

Salsa chicken is popular with moms I know and is usually served as a taco filling kind of deal.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
Mother of Sons (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #4
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't, although I've used a pressure canner. At 10 or 11 at night though I don't want to have to prepare anything, ideally I just want it all done and ready to eat when we walk in. How fast do pressure cookers usually get dinner on the table?
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Bbl I have a few good ones

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #6
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I can do dried beans beans in 30min and huge cuts of meat in an hour.

So not really a walk in and it is done type thing.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2015, 07:03 PM   #7
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

Love my pressure cooker, but it's so loud.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

You can make lasagna in the crock pot. I also use it for making refried beans from dry beans. You can also make bread in it.

Another favorite of ours is lentil rice casserole:

1/2 c. brown rice
3/4 c. brown lentils
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp each of oregano, thyme, and garlic powder

Cook on high for four hours. You can eat it with cheese, in a tortilla, or the absolute yummiest way, with cheese inside a taco shell wrapped in a fluffy mission-brand tortilla (carbs much? )

It's good for making roast as well, which cooks in liquid, which makes it very tender, but you don't actually eat the liquid (unless you want to make it into gravy) When you do this you would just put in some baby carrots, potatoes, and the roast with a package of onion soup mix and water to almost cover the roast. You have to cook it for like 14 hours until it's really tender and then it's great! If you just cook it until the meat is hot then it's still tough (no, I do not eat meat, but I used to, in case anyone recognizes me from the vegetarian board).

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #9
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

This is a fun blog to browse. She has all kinds of ideas.
http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/
Actually she has two blogs now I guess...
http://www.ayearofslowcooking.com/

The first time you walk into the house at dinner time and dinner is ready and waiting, you'll be so glad you got that crock pot.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

Last edited by Singingmom; 08-26-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
esperanza (08-26-2015), Johns_Gal (08-27-2015), mommylove (08-26-2015), Mother of Sons (08-26-2015), Sparrow (08-27-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #10
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Most of what I do in the crockpot is soup, but I've tried these recipes and I really like them:
Pepperjack Chicken
Slow Cooker Risotto - Not quite the texture of a true risotto, but good nonetheless
Minnesota Pot Roast
- This is so good, but probably not very good for you.

I have made most of my Easter and Christmas dinners in crockpots which made prep so easy. I make brisket, roast, ham, hashbrown casserole, mashed potato casserole, baked potatoes, any kind of frozen veggie like green beans or corn all in a crockpot. I don't really have any recipes for those at the ready but I can type some of them out if they interest you. I've heard you can bake sweet potatoes in the crockpot, too, but haven't tried it yet.

I haven't made this but I'd really like to one of these days:
Turkey Breast
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2015, 10:23 PM   #11
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

you can cook a whole chicken in a crock pot. I like to slice some red potatoes place on bottom then season a whole chicken as you like place on top and cook on high about 4 hours or low around 7.
Mother of Sons (08-27-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 11:55 PM   #12
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

I know you're not vegetarian, but most people I've talked to are surprised to learn there are tons of non-meat (and healthful!!!) slow cooker recipes.

My favorite cookbook is Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. I can't think of a single gravy recipe instead there are things like potpies, pastas, polenta, curry, paella, risotto, dal, Hungarian Goulash, Moroccan stew, sloppy joes, etc. With a couple exceptions, every recipe uses normal pantry ingredients.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 06:14 AM   #13
Thia
Rose Garden

Thia has disabled reputation

Boneless chicken, chicken gravy (or cream of mushroom soup), cheese of choice, a box of stuffing. Cook on low all day.

I love doing roasts. I throw some water, bullion cubes, and minced garlic in. add the roast. Season and let it go all day. Some people like to put their veggies in too, but I don't like the flavor of the gravy that way. For veggies, everything can still be prepped the night before. Potatoes will not brown if left soaking in water. (Nice tip for Thanksgiving time too).

Lazagna, salsa chicken, any kind of meat can be cooked with whatever seasoning to use in wraps/tacos, sandwiches...oh, french dip! Huge favorite here.
Thia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thia For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 07:09 AM   #14
Anne Ofalamo
Rose Blossom

~never lose your joy

Anne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of lightAnne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of lightAnne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of lightAnne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of lightAnne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of lightAnne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of light

A huge pot of chili!
I use canned beans, red, black, navy, pinto and a few cans of tomato sauce or diced tomatos, add a couple envelope packages of chili mix, hamburger if I have it, I have used kielbasa too! You can serve in a bowl, or over rice (my kids love it over mash pots). Lots of cheese, and great over hotdogs a 2nd night!
I adore my crock pot, and use it to precook chicken, pour a bit of liquid smoke, put on low, and then fire up the grill and BBQ, add sauce of your liking and brilliantly tender!
I think Braising (frying the edges) to any pork cut helps the consistency of the meat. Boiled meat is not appetizing to me!
I have a few of them, and use the smaller ones for canned vegi's.
Anne Ofalamo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anne Ofalamo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #15
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

On my list for the next few weeks are the following crockpot meals

Roast (bbq or salt pepper garlic and onion - we put veg in the second option)
chicken fajitas
cheesy chicken tater tot casserole
chicken curry
company chicken (like chicken alfredo with mushrooms)

These are dump and leave type meals requiring some chopping or prep work but can be done in 15 min or less in the mornings. I have other recipes but haven't looked beyond the list I made yesterday of easy fast meals.

LMK if you want recipes.

A few I got off this link a GCm'er gave me and others I have been making for years
https://newleafwellness.biz/2015/08/...ack-to-school/

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post: