Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute
Default did Jesus not take their punishment?

I read something a lady at our old church wrote about having to discipline her young child, and that it made here thankful that Jesus took our punishment for us.

Will someone who knows more about this type of disciplining philosophy explain to me this belief that Jesus took our (adult, parents) punishment but that our children still must 'get what they deserve'? I'm not trying to be critical or judging, I truly do not understand. Is there an age at which it transitions? When they accept Jesus and get baptized?

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
PaperMomma (04-06-2012), shirelingmum (04-17-2012), Zooey (04-15-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did Jesus not take their punishment?

Well, I can't explain it because it doesn't make any sense to me I would be interested to hear if someone else understands the rationale though

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't understand either.

I'd like to soneone their reasoning. It makes no sense.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Zooey (04-20-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
mamahammer
Deactivated

There must be beaches in heaven

mamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond reputemamahammer has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's more the belief that a child has to a) understand his own depravity and b) experience the pain of punishment before s/he can truly accept salvation. It's warped, to be sure.
mamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mamahammer For This Useful Post:
Cherish (04-06-2012), MercyInDisguise (04-06-2012), SuperDudesMama (04-06-2012), Tasmanian Saint (04-08-2012), TenderLovingWillow (04-16-2012), Zooey (04-15-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
MissusLeata
Rose Bouquet

MissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of lightMissusLeata is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahammer View Post
I think it's more the belief that a child has to a) understand his own depravity and b) experience the pain of punishment before s/he can truly accept salvation. It's warped, to be sure.

I think it's this and I can't tell you how much you all have challenged this thinking in me and helped me see that it's not right.

So often when my kids are driving me crazy just because there are 3 of them and they are little so all the little kid behavior starts getting big for me, I have to remind myself that I do *not* need to "punish" them or "make" them change.
greengirl19 (04-17-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahammer View Post
Agree. Spanking seems to be doing the work of the law, in making us aware of our sin and our need for a savior. In more Arminian settings, it seems to have the flavor of parents cooperating with God, doing "their bit" to prepare the way for their children's salvation . In more Reformed settings, the belief seems to be that God works through spanking to change the heart - that spanking is a means of grace . A sick, twisted, perverted mockery of the *real* means of grace .

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
Cherish (04-06-2012), dulce de leche (04-17-2012), greengirl19 (04-17-2012), Little Forest (04-12-2012), MercyInDisguise (04-06-2012), PaperMomma (04-06-2012), ruhama (04-21-2012), Sparrow (04-16-2012), StewardofLOs (05-01-2012), SweetCaroline (04-23-2012), Tasmanian Saint (04-08-2012), TenderLovingWillow (04-16-2012), Zooey (04-15-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
forty-two
Rose Garden

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

Here are what I see as the underlying assumptions:

*People need to realize their need for a Savior - be aware that they sin and it is bad - before the Gospel can do its saving work.
*Children need a Savior, just like everyone else.
*Children are fundamentally different - they lack sufficient cognitive understanding to understand sin in the "usual" way (and thus incapable of a genuine salvific relationship with God ) - so they are treated differently. In the "God mandates spanking" paradigm, spanking is the means used to connect sin and badness in those who are not sufficiently cognitively mature to understand it abstractly.

I think point one is accepted by most Christians in some form or fashion. Points 2 and 3 are where we part ways, GBD-wise; some GBDers hold 2 and reject 3 (those who hold to the sacraments) and some hold 3 and reject 2 (those who practice some form of believer's baptism).

I have big, huge, giant feelings about viewing children as incompletely human - saying that a certain level of cognition is required in order to fully participate in the human experience .

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'

Last edited by forty-two; 04-06-2012 at 11:24 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
greengirl19 (04-17-2012), StewardofLOs (05-01-2012), SuperDudesMama (04-06-2012), SweetCaroline (04-23-2012), Tasmanian Saint (04-08-2012), Zooey (04-15-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

:lightbulb

so even the people who feel this way... or maybe even especially the people who feel this way... should "back off" after their kids are saved and let God do the work? Because if the point of spanking is to show them they are sinners and need a savior, then once they realize that and are saved, then what's the point of spanking?
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
forty-two
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoJGJ View Post
:lightbulb

so even the people who feel this way... or maybe even especially the people who feel this way... should "back off" after their kids are saved and let God do the work? Because if the point of spanking is to show them they are sinners and need a savior, then once they realize that and are saved, then what's the point of spanking?
You'd think that, but it doesn't usually work out that way.

Sacramental churches don't have the huge emphasis on a particular point of salvation, don't see the Gospel as just for getting saved. The Gospel is for Christians, too - our entire Christian life revolves around continually be refreshed and renewed by God through the means of grace, the Gospel and the Sacraments. So for punitive Christians who hold to the idea of means of grace, and see spanking as one of them (even if just implicitly), it will still have a place, though will be phased out as cognitive understanding increases. Because God is *working* through spanking to change the heart, and that is applicable after salvation, too.

And for believer's baptism believing punitive Christians, they usually see God as a punitive God, who punishes His children for the own good. So as God teaches them through pain, they teach their children, saved or unsaved, through pain, too. Again, spanking would probably phase out as cognitive understanding increases, and they can make connections between less immediate and tactile painful consequences.

But if you see spanking -learning via pain - as needed for moral/spiritual development before salvation, you probably see it as needed after salvation, too .

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Because if you trust the Holy Spirit to work in people without imposing pain *after* salvation, then it's a short hop to trusting that maybe the Holy Spirit can work in people *before* salvation without imposing pain, too .

So your point would be a good one to bring up, get people thinking .

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'

Last edited by forty-two; 04-06-2012 at 11:56 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
Cherish (04-06-2012), greengirl19 (04-17-2012), LearningMama (04-07-2012), MomtoJGJ (04-06-2012), SuperDudesMama (04-06-2012), Zooey (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
staceylayne
Rose Garden

Hopeful.

staceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And for believer's baptism believing punitive Christians, they usually see God as a punitive God, who punishes His children for the own good. So as God teaches them through pain, they teach their children, saved or unsaved, through pain, too. Again, spanking would probably phase out as cognitive understanding increases, and they can make connections between less immediate and tactile painful consequences.
I'd say this is probably the closest to the reasoning I was surrounded with growing up. Although I'd wager most people would not be able to articulate it nearly so clearly...it was just the way things were done. But the "punishment for our own good" was (is) the underlying belief.

Most (all?) of my friends spank. To them, it is important that children obey and respect authority from a very early age because it paves the way for the child to correctly respond to God's authority in their lives as they get older. They punish their children out of love, because punishments are how they know to "train up a child in the way he should go" and all that. My friends dearly love their children and do parent with a lot of kindness, joy, patience, creativity...but they've never considered that there could be an alternative to punishments other than total permissiveness.

(It's quite a mind-bending ride from punitive minded mama to GCM junkie, if I do say so myself.)

Joyful momma to:

B - 7.5, my pensive planner
D - 5.5, my spunky sunshine
C - 3.5, my cuddly cutie

And baby girl A, born April 28!
Why, yes, I am ENFP

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. James 3:17-18
staceylayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to staceylayne For This Useful Post:
greengirl19 (04-17-2012), OperaDivaMom (04-16-2012), ReadingMommy (04-17-2012), SweetCaroline (04-23-2012), Tasmanian Saint (04-16-2012), TenderLovingWillow (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #11
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Most (all?) of my friends spank. To them, it is important that children obey and respect authority from a very early age because it paves the way for the child to correctly respond to God's authority in their lives as they get older. They punish their children out of love, because punishments are how they know to "train up a child in the way he should go" and all that. My friends dearly love their children and do parent with a lot of kindness, joy, patience, creativity...but they've never considered that there could be an alternative to punishments other than total permissiveness.
This is the exact philosophy that was taught at our old church. And why we left.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #12
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

This is how I understand it: Jesus took our eternal punishment away, but there are still earthly consequences for our actions. So if you are an alcoholic and you work through that and quit and repent, but you still might get cirrhosis later. But that doesn't mean God loves you any less or you are not going to heaven. You can commit a crime and repent and not end up suffering for it in the hereafter but you are still going to have to go to jail on earth. I think sometimes God can take the earthly consequences away, but we are not entitled to that nor should we assume that will happen.

To use a GBD example, let's say a child takes markers and colors all over your table. Regardless of how Jesus feels about it, your child has to help clean it up and is not going to get markers unless you are watching carefully (which means less opportunity to use markers because you can't watch carefully every time). They still take the earthly consequences.

And if you are a spanker, the earthly consequences for a child's action are spankings. And they still have to take them. But they can still go to heaven.

Just my thoughts. Hope that helps.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
greengirl19 (04-17-2012), staceylayne (04-16-2012), SweetCaroline (04-23-2012), Tasmanian Saint (04-17-2012), Zooey (04-20-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

You know, Aerynne, I think you may have it the nail on the head for how many people see it...
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tasmanian Saint For This Useful Post:
SweetCaroline (04-23-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

There was one time I remember growing up when my parents made an object lesson out of NOT spanking when they said we deserved it. We had done something that they usually spanked for, so they had us sit and "wait for the spankings" per usual. Then they just sat down and talked with us about how we were deserving of spankings just like all people are deserving of death. But they were going to extend grace just like God does when He doesn't punish us for our sins. (I remember I was so relieved that I wasn't getting a spanking, that that's all I really cared about right then.) I can see from their perspective what they were *trying* to do with this lesson, but it does seem like a patent admission that spanking is NOT modeled after God's way of dealing with His children
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReadingMommy For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (04-18-2012), Zooey (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmanian Saint View Post
You know, Aerynne, I think you may have it the nail on the head for how many people see it...
I think so too.