Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Emerald Orchid
Rose Garden

Emerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are fish tacos good?

I've never had them. I'm looking for variety in our fish dishes. Do kids usually like them?

French-Canadian / Reader / TrailRunner / T4 / INTj / Wife to S
SAHM to 3 DS
Z (8.5) M (6.5) and T (3.5)
Adopting from China
Emerald Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
joystrength
Rose Garden

Get it? Sock.Monkey. ????

joystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud of
Default Re: Are fish tacos good?

I have had several kind ....
-- fresh-caught mahi mahi tacos with freshly made corn tortillas, and they were good
-- canned tuna in a commercial taco shell (sold in stores) and it was not good

The very best was this:
-- breaded fish (I've made them with frozen, breaded fish and breaded my own)
-- in a warmed off the grill whole wheat tortilla
-- with chiplotle mayo
-- and fresh cilantro, chopped tomatoes, and thinly sliced green and red cabbage (More crunch than shredded)
-- a bit of grated Mexican cheese (asadero)
-- all drizzled in lime juice RIGHT before serving!!

OH, it was wonderful! TRULY!

I don't know if kiddos would go for it, but it sure was good! My kids liked it, and they had it without cheese. The key is to assemble when you are READY to eat, as the ingredients can get soft and mushy when they shouldn't!

His joy IS my strength! Live a life of HIS purpose

How long will it go on? If you keep living the way you are living, then you will keep living the way you are living. If you want your life to change, then CHANGE your life. Live differently, for repentance is a way of life. -- DH!

joystrength is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joystrength For This Useful Post:
amyjoy (09-30-2012), Dovenoir (10-05-2012), Emerald Orchid (09-30-2012), kwisie (10-05-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. My friend makes them often when we visit. Yum!

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

ncsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond repute

Yes!!!!

Depends on whether your kids like fish. My ds loves them...dd won't touch them with a 10 ft pole.
ncsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

We love fish tacos. Our kids liked them too when they were little-and still do.

We use grilled, broiled, or pan-fried fish, lightly fried corn tortillas (the idea is to warm them and soften them) and a sauce made of sour cream mixed with chipotle sauce. Thinly chopped cabbage is an essential part of the taco, and a squeeze of fresh lime.

Cilantro, avocado slices, and salsa are also nice in these tacos.

We just put out all the ingredients and people build their own. Yum!
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
celestial princess (09-30-2012), Emerald Orchid (10-01-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
LoveIsGentle
Rose Garden

LoveIsGentle has disabled reputation

I've only ever made (or eaten) fish tacos once, so I have nothing to compare this recipe to, but the entire family LOVED this one, including the two year old who is so picky, I'm not sure how he's surviving.

http://www.marthastewart.com/312934/...e-and-radish-s
LoveIsGentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
celestial princess
Rose Garden

...sometimes I can't see it for the trees

celestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond repute

Fish tacos are AWESOME and I'm going to katiekind's house to have some of here's because they sound perfect! I made some one time with fish sticks and crunchy corn tortillas, though, and they were super good too - probably even better because they wwere so easy. It's true, though, the "coleslaw" is critical - shredded cabbage, mayo, lime juice s&p, cilantro, probably some sugar. Oh and salsa verde! This is pantry stuff for me, so that was what made it a meal in a pinch. Cept for the cilantro - I always have to run out and buy cilantro.
celestial princess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to celestial princess For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (10-05-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 AM   #8
Emerald Orchid
Rose Garden

Emerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like cilantro, will they still be tasty?

SAHM to 3 DS
Adopting from China
Old 10-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #9
WildFlower
Banned

WildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond repute

I found a recipe for them that we love. Dh was skeptical but LOVES them. I use tilapia that you buy frozen and just thaw it then I cook it in a skillet with some oil, salt and pepper. I don't fry it just pan cook it. Then I kinda chop it up into small pieces which is easy when the fish is soft and cooked. Then for sauce (this is what makes it yummy) use some salsa and some mayo and mix it together. I think it's like 2/3 cup of salsa and 1/4 cup mayo but I'm not sure. Drizzle that over the fish in your tortilla or taco. Then you can put some cilantro or cheese ontop and enjoy. If you don't like cilantra skip that. My DH loves the cilantra. I am kinda eh about it. DD likes it too.
WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WildFlower For This Useful Post:
Emerald Orchid (10-01-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
Emerald Orchid
Rose Garden

I'm trying this recipe tonight, let's hope we like it!

http://www.marthastewart.com/333852/...bbage-and-lime

SAHM to 3 DS
Adopting from China
Old 10-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

I've always thought they sound bizarre, but hearing them described by joy strength? Totally drooling here. YUM!
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Emerald Orchid
Rose Garden

Total success! Everyone loved them, it didn't taste like we were eating fish at all. It's a keeper!

SAHM to 3 DS
Adopting from China
Old 10-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
mrsd
Rose Trellis

mrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason it just doesn't sound good to me, but i like shrimp chimichangas and enchilladas.
mrsd is offline   Reply With Quote