Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 11-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
weerach
Rose Garden

weerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond repute
Default Temper Tantrums

And im not sure what exactly is best to do. Its the little boy i look after. He can be great one day then the next is nothing but tantrums and Autumn hasnt been doing anything like that so i dont want her starting to copy him. What would be the best way to handle it? He goes into a tantrum if i say no and take him away from something he wants and when he gets his diaper changed, he kicked me that much when i was changing his diaper the other day that i have a big bruise on my leg. I cant allow that kind of behaviour but im unsure on how to deal with it. He is almost 20 months. He is very good at communicating and is learning new words all the time and knows the meaning of No lol. He is an only child and i dont know if that has something to do with it. I have him 4/5 days a week till 6pm ish.

Any advice??
Mr N 2009
Mr J 2010
Miss S 2013
Miss N - 2016

6 angels waiting with the Lord

"Looking off unto Jesus my spirit is blessed,
In the world i have turmoil ; In him i have rest,
While the sea of my life all about me may roar,
When i look unto Jesus i see it no more"
weerach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:02 AM   #2
Love_Is_Patient
Rose Trellis

Love_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temper Tantrums

Can you try changing his diaper standing up? He may resist less that way. (And it will be harder to kick you).

Tantrums are normal for that age, no matter how verbal they are. How long does each one go on? You can't really stop a tantrum once it starts, so it's not a question of 'allowing' or not. Don't reinforce it by giving in, of course. You can try reflecting his feelings, and maybe be more proactive about putting 'no' items out of reach to begin with. Cuddle with him if that seems to help, or try distraction with some other interesting object, or just wait it out nearby.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
dulce de leche
Climbing Rose

dulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond repute

ITA w/ changing the diaper standing up! It makes life much easier here. This is an old blog post I wrote about how we deal with tantrums. For me, what helped most of all was not so much a list of specific techniques (although some have worked great), but adjusting my own mindset about big emotions. http://dulcefamily.blogspot.com/2009...of-part-i.html

13 years with Mi Amado
Dd ~ 1/04
Ds ~ 1/06
Dd ~ 6/08
Dd ~ 7/10
dulce de leche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dulce de leche For This Useful Post:
weerach (11-22-2009)
Old 11-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
tazmom
Rose Garden

tazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond repute

What do his parents do when he tantrums at home?

Wife to the car guy for 21 years
Mom to my kids
T - Fifteen
A - Thirteen
Z - Ten
tazmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
weerach
Rose Garden

weerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Is_Patient View Post
Can you try changing his diaper standing up? He may resist less that way. (And it will be harder to kick you).

Tantrums are normal for that age, no matter how verbal they are. How long does each one go on? You can't really stop a tantrum once it starts, so it's not a question of 'allowing' or not. Don't reinforce it by giving in, of course. You can try reflecting his feelings, and maybe be more proactive about putting 'no' items out of reach to begin with. Cuddle with him if that seems to help, or try distraction with some other interesting object, or just wait it out nearby.
Well as a childminder all the "No" items are out the way anyway, its things like if he has taken a toy from one of the other children or if he has gotten on the sofa ansd is jumping up and down. There doesnt seem to be a set time limit on his tantrums, they can be just for a few seconds or can last half an hour. I will try changing his diaper standing up, but not if its a stinky one lol.

As for what his parents do, his mom is on her own, she says she does the same as me but im not sure. When he as pitched a tantrum when she has been here she just laughs. I dont reinforce it by giving in, i dont do it with Autumn so im not doing it with anyone elses adn it would weaken my authority too so im quite careful with that. I have tried cuddling with him but he kicks and yells even more and if i try adn distract him with another toy he throws it across the room! I have resorted to making sure he cant hurt himself and have just left him in the middle of the floor and kept an eye on him. Autumn sits with her hands over her ears crying her eyes out when he gets going cause it scares her.
Mr N 2009
Mr J 2010
Miss S 2013
Miss N - 2016

Old 11-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
tazmom
Rose Garden

tazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond repute

My first thought is that he doesn't know what to do with his big feelings. He's upset and all he knows how to do is yell and scream and lash out, so that's what he does. He needs to be taught what *to* do.

I would start with validating his feelings before he has them. Just before you take the toy away say, "I'm going to take away this toy because you will not share (or whatever reason). You are going to be very angry with me." Then give him options of what he can do to get the feelings out like go hit a bed, do an angry dance, etc. After the tantrum validate his feelings some more.

It will take time, practice and maturity, but he'll eventually start coming around. Maybe even faster if you can get the mom on board.

I wouldn't change the diaper of a child that is kicking me. He can stop or he doesn't get his diaper changed. Have you tried giving him transition-type warnings that you are going to change him?

Mom to my kids
T - Fifteen
A - Thirteen
Z - Ten
Old 11-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
weerach
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle3802 View Post
My first thought is that he doesn't know what to do with his big feelings. He's upset and all he knows how to do is yell and scream and lash out, so that's what he does. He needs to be taught what *to* do.

I would start with validating his feelings before he has them. Just before you take the toy away say, "I'm going to take away this toy because you will not share (or whatever reason). You are going to be very angry with me." Then give him options of what he can do to get the feelings out like go hit a bed, do an angry dance, etc. After the tantrum validate his feelings some more.

It will take time, practice and maturity, but he'll eventually start coming around. Maybe even faster if you can get the mom on board.

I wouldn't change the diaper of a child that is kicking me. He can stop or he doesn't get his diaper changed. Have you tried giving him transition-type warnings that you are going to change him?
He is 19 months, would giving him options work? Hope that doesnt come over as being very skeptical or anything, iv just never heard of anyone doing this before. As for changing his diaper i say "Rachel is going to change your diaper now robbie" adn i let him see me taking the diaper and wipes from the bag and get everything ready, then i change him. Today i tried something different, i made a game out of it and tickled him adn tickled his feet adn made funny noises etc and it worked. No tantrums!! Felt well pleased with myself lol.
Mr N 2009
Mr J 2010
Miss S 2013
Miss N - 2016

Old 11-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wouldn't change the diaper of a child that is kicking me. He can stop or he doesn't get his diaper changed.
A dirty diaper needs to be changed here not changing wouldn't have been a choice heck that would have ment my child would have been in the same dirty diaper for months at a time and as much as I wouldn't want my sitter being hurt and would deffeitnly be working on my childs reactions not changing would just not be acceptable... I do agree try changing standing up that helped a ton here.
Glad to here the game helped
With DD speech delays that was a really difficult age for us...

Deanna
Old 11-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
tazmom
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by weerach View Post
He is 19 months, would giving him options work? Hope that doesnt come over as being very skeptical or anything, iv just never heard of anyone doing this before. As for changing his diaper i say "Rachel is going to change your diaper now robbie" adn i let him see me taking the diaper and wipes from the bag and get everything ready, then i change him. Today i tried something different, i made a game out of it and tickled him adn tickled his feet adn made funny noises etc and it worked. No tantrums!! Felt well pleased with myself lol.
I don't think it will work right away, but eventually it should help. I used to provide day care for a 1 yo who, at the slightest inkling of hearing no, would throw himself backwards head-first into a tantrum. (His parents would catch him so he wouldn't get hurt and then give in and give him what he wanted. That's why I asked about the parents.) I wouldn't give in and I started telling him what to do instead and eventually he stopped having as many tantrums. I figured that instead of validating feelings and heading off the tantrum once it's started, I'd do it before it started and help him work through properly outletting his emotions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
A dirty diaper needs to be changed here not changing wouldn't have been a choice heck that would have ment my child would have been in the same dirty diaper for months at a time and as much as I wouldn't want my sitter being hurt and would deffeitnly be working on my childs reactions not changing would just not be acceptable... I do agree try changing standing up that helped a ton here.
Glad to here the game helped
With DD speech delays that was a really difficult age for us...

Deanna
I just reread what I wrote and that part came out harsher than I intended. I meant it more as trying again in a few minutes. I have wrestled a toddler to get a diaper on them. Making a game out of it is a great idea. I'm glad it worked!

Mom to my kids
T - Fifteen
A - Thirteen
Z - Ten