Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default If you had to flee your home what would you take?

I'm not infusing this question with theological overtones, if you want to infuse them into your answer that's fine, but I'd like the thread to stick to the question if we can Think of it along the same lines as the famous "If you were stranded on a desert island and could only take so many things" question.

So . . . what would be important to you to have?

and I'm not putting a number on it, but I'm wondering what you'd want before you got to the optionals.

ETClarify since it was asked: by flee I mean you may never be coming back and you have to take it now or lose it.

ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
Nightingale
Deactivated

Nightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond reputeNightingale has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had to flee your home what would you take?

computer (pictures, etc), scrapbooks/photo albums, and camera. the rest is all completely replaceable.
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Raspberries

laptop, my important document folder, a sling, a blanket, a small bag of clothing for the girls (mainly something to keep them warm).

It's hard because flee my home could mean many different circumstances. If we're talking FLEE as in RUN RUN, I don't know that I'd bring my laptop. More likely just a backpack with my important docs, some warm clothes and a sling.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on why and how mcuh time, of course. Isaac's adoption papers and keepsakes from Guatemala. The computer (pictures), albums and camera. Some clothes and blankets. A couple of cars for Isaac to play with. Our medicine.

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the computer for sure, my cat, photo albums, journals, at least one bible, our navajo weeding vase, my ketubah, the mezzuahs if I had time to remove them. Jewelery box (it be eaiser than picking out the few heirlooms), pictures painted by my mom and grandpa, 2 toys from my childhood, my dds american girls, whatever toy ds loves. Two outfits per person

NOte to self, put all imoprtant docs in one place

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:27 AM   #6
FaroeIslandBabes

Thats a tough one if we didnt have much time Id probley only grab the kids & the dog! If we had say an hour or two Id grab my computer, camera and some clothes & bible.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:41 AM   #7
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaroeIslandBabes
Thats a tough one if we didnt have much time Id probley only grab the kids & the dog! If we had say an hour or two Id grab my computer, camera and some clothes & bible.
If it were a split second, it would be kids, cat and computer tower. Althoughsadly, I think trying to get the cat might be too hard and I woul dhave to leave her

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:47 AM   #8
FaroeIslandBabes

yeh, I think dogs are probley a little easier to catch and throw in the car unless you have a very obedient kitty!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 AM   #9
Benjaminswife
Rose Garden

Benjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud of

If I was able to have time to fill a box I would put my diaries and scrapbooks of pictures before digital and everything in our little safe. Anything else I could replace. I would hate to loose all my scrapbooks but those since I got a digital camera I could technically redo.

If I had a split second I would grab my diaries...

I am not counting people in this as that would be obvious

~Julie~
Wife to Ben since 08/03/02,
Mama to Daniel~9, Drew~7 & Joshua~3
Blogging Through The Journey

Benjaminswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
mommyTay

depends on the circumstances, how fast, transportation available, how much help I had to gather things.

besides the children and dog....
important documents, food and basic cookware, minimal clothes, tent and blankets, matches and firewood, toilet paper, soap & towels, photo albums,
my folding rocking chair, my children need rocked when they are insecure, and fleeing would definitely trigger that

Old 02-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Photo albums are the absolutely last thing I would grab, especially if we're running for the hills. I'd be after the food, blankets, matches and whatnot.

If we're running because there's a cloud of chemicals coming from an overturned train, or a hurricane a coming, then I'd have a mini-home kit going, the items that re-establish a new location as home. Important papers, children's toys, comfort items for living in a shelter, Josh's laptop.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
Charlie U
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Charlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie U has a reputation beyond repute

I think about this often. It's one of those things that helps me stop obsessively worrying.

Computers, purse, dh's wallet, meds (mainly his because I can live without mine), snacks that can be eaten on the road, water bottles, jackets, hats, mittens, boots, cell phones, iPod and charger (no, seriously). Photos, removable hard drive which most of the pictures are stored on, books, the girls' Leapsters and headphones, toys for the girls, Bible. I'd also bring three change of clothes per person and personal care products. The dog and dog food, too.

If I've got 15 minutes, I'm set. If it's less, it's just people, computers and portable hard drive, purse and wallet, and whatever toys the girls can grab. (Of course, I over thought this and am now picturing having to leave something behind and the girls hurting over it. )

But it's hard living life on this memory-go-round. Always up, always down. Spinning 'round and 'round and 'round. All this could be just a dream so it seems I was never much good at goodbye.
Charlie U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

I'm in the process of gathering up just those items. I am backing up my computer, and printing some stuff off to have in hard copies. And I'm copying down some family recipes. And all the important documents.

Clothes, food, water. Not much of any of those to not be overburdened. I'm not sure what else at this point- I wish I could take all my books!
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #14
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute

If everyone is out and safe...

The dog
documents
phone
asthma medication
Lantern Light Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #15
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

Photos, dd's favorite quilt I made, the girls' baby boxes, hard drive, a few books, and enough clothes for us all to have several changes. That's all.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote