Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #76
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fermentation support thread :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfulforgrace View Post
I peeled and washed and did the double salt. Did you leave them out for long enough? I love my carrots, oh they are so good.
Do they taste like anything more than salty carrots?

I left them out for three days, then put them in the fridge while on vacation for 3 days, then pulled them out again. I think I left them out for about a week before trying the probiotic powder. After that, I think it was 4 or 5 days later when I tried them again and tossed them out. They were starting to get soft at that point.

I used dried dill that I've had forever - would that be the problem? I forgot that you're supposed to use fresh herbs only. Oh, and they were conventionally grown, not organic carrots.

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #77
Thankfulforgrace
Rose Garden

Thankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-EyedLady View Post
Do they taste like anything more than salty carrots?

I left them out for three days, then put them in the fridge while on vacation for 3 days, then pulled them out again. I think I left them out for about a week before trying the probiotic powder. After that, I think it was 4 or 5 days later when I tried them again and tossed them out. They were starting to get soft at that point.

I used dried dill that I've had forever - would that be the problem? I forgot that you're supposed to use fresh herbs only. Oh, and they were conventionally grown, not organic carrots.
Yes, they taste like sour juice that is so good! I didn't do any power. I did use fresh dill though, maybe that helped, b/c I love the dill taste!!

Did you use sea salt? And you don't shake it right? My salt kinda settles at the bottom
Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #78
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure my salt is sea salt. It's very finely ground, so it dissolves easily. I didn't shake it but I did, erm, "swirl" it quite a bit.

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #79
Thankfulforgrace
Rose Garden

Thankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond reputeThankfulforgrace has a reputation beyond repute

Don't swirl. And I think I left mine out for 5 days so I think you need to do it longer next time.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #80
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Is it okay that my salsa smells a little alcohol-ish? It tastes pretty good.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #81
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

Angela, i never leave mine out that long but i also moved around while fermenting so much that i know it really depends on the house you are doing it in i've lived in a perfectly nice clean apartment that was absolutely not suitable for fermentation everything, almost everything was ruined there, it was very frustrating. some homes are perfect, everything works.

fresh dill usually makes a big difference in my experience

i keep promising to make carrots with ACV instead of whey, but i have not managed it yet
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #82
abbiroads
Rose Garden

abbiroads has disabled reputation

Do you have a recipe or instructions for using ACV in lacto-fermenting?
ds2: Eli 4/06
ds3: Judah 4/08
abbiroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #83
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

i made that up i'm gonna try replacing whey with raw acv
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #84
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingWithElves View Post
Angela, i never leave mine out that long
Are you referring to the pickles or the salsa?

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

Old 07-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #85
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

pickles

The Following User Says Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (07-25-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #86
Thankfulforgrace
Rose Garden

So my curious mind wants to know why some recipes say cover loosely and others say tightly. I'm guessing fermentation happends either way?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #87
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

here's what i learned:

i used to under the impression that vegetable and fruit ferments needed to "breathe" b/c that the expression my parents and grandparents used when i was growing up. however, that is not really the case. they need to off-gas some more violently so, and if the lid were to be on tight, you might get an explosion (ask me how i know). The process should be anaerobic, and sometimes it's achieved by submerging the stuff in the brine, but sometimes you can't do that, like with chutneys and sauces.

it's different with other ferments. my gf sourdough needs to breathe, as does kombucha.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
Thankfulforgrace (07-27-2011), wallflowermama (08-07-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #88
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingWithElves View Post
pickles
So maybe I just let them go for too long and that's why the turned to mush?

Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #89
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Ble eyed lady-- if they were salty you didn't leave them out long enough. 4 days is minimum unless it's super hot. It took mine 5 days. When they taste sour they go in the fridge. I rinsed my carrots well but did not peel them. And I swirl the jar once a day while fermenting. It will get cloudy when it's almost done, if it's cloudy then only a day or two longer.

Abbi-- any tips for hot peppers or just standard recipe? I found recipes for fermented hot pepper mash (like tabasco) but it takes a month! Boo! I don't have enough space right now for such a long ferment.

FERMENTED SALSA (adapted from NT)

4 tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 small onions, finely diced
3/4 hot or mild peppers, chopped
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch cilantro, leaves only, chopped
1 tap dried oregano
juice of 2 lemons
1 Tbsp. sea salt
4 TBSP whey OR an extra TBSP salt
1/4 cup filtered water
Mix well and place in a quart jar. Press down, adding more water if necessary to cover veggies. Cover and leave at room temp for 2 days (or until done) then refrigerate.

I tried not using the lemon juice once and it wasn't nearly ad good.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

FERMENTED KETCHUP

3cups tomato paste
1/4 c whey
1 Tbsp sea salt
1/2 c maple syrup
1/4 t cayenne
3 cloves garlic, mashed
1/2 c homemade or commercial fish sauce

Mix, cover, let sit for 2 days then refrigerate. I haven't tried this one but wanted to share.

Am I going to be the first GCM to ferment herring and sardines? . I only have to find a good source! I can't wait!

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

APRICOT BUTTER

4 cups unsulphured dried apricots
1 Tbsp sea salt
1/4 c whey
1/4 - 1/2 c raw honey

Cook apricots in filtered water until soft. Let cool slightly then transfer to food processor with slotted spoon. Add remaining ingredients and process. Taste and add more honey if not sweet enough. Place in jars, cover tightly, let sit for 2 days before refrigerating. Use within 2 months.

Great on oatmeal or pancakes.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (07-29-2011), Blue-EyedLady (07-27-2011), curlymopmom (07-27-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #90
abbiroads
Rose Garden

abbiroads has disabled reputation

I just did salt and water for the peppers. I chopped them and covered in liquid and they were ready in a couple days.
ds2: Eli 4/06
ds3: Judah 4/08
abbiroads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abbiroads For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (07-28-2011)