Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
bluedotsmom
Rose Bouquet

bluedotsmom is just really nicebluedotsmom is just really nicebluedotsmom is just really nicebluedotsmom is just really nice
Default Unprepared for marriage or women damaged by Pearls, et al?

I apologize in advance for the disjointed nature of this post and nebraskanmom move this here because this is where we seem to discuss the Pearls, et al the most.

Ok, I know we have the Marriage forum, but I haven't been there much because all the anniversary, nurturing fondess threads seem to be overwhelming (not bad, just...not what I'm looking for?) This topic has been on my heart and was just brought up to me by a dear friend.

The Pearls and others espouse 'truths' that are not only damaging to our children but to us as women and to our marriages. The Unprepared For Parenting forum is great for those searching for rebuttals to those kinds of 'parenting' books, but what about the other? It's easy to discount their child-rearing info, but sometimes I think there are those who can get lost in the rest of it. You know, "they're wrong on spanking, but hey look at what they say about marriage!" or "they're marriage stuff is okay, I'll just leave the parenting."

How do you respond to this? What good resources are there for women, wives, marriages damaged by these things?

So far, I've only said, "If they say to treat our tiniest, newborns as evil sinners & I believe that is wrong, I won't wade through garbage to find a tiny bit of wisdom." And I recommend Elizabeth George or Sally Clarkson. But it feels like my responses is rather lame and without evidence to back it up.

It would be nice if we could have a forum along the lines of the UPP forums for the adult problems with the lies held forth by Pearl, Tripp and the like.

Hope this makes sense and TIA for reading

As of 4/19/07 it appears I must retire my famous, saying: "Yes, I'm still nursing, it's the only thing I know I'm doing right!"
bluedotsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:54 AM   #2
bluedotsmom
Rose Bouquet

bluedotsmom is just really nicebluedotsmom is just really nicebluedotsmom is just really nicebluedotsmom is just really nice
Default Re: Unprepared for marriage or women damaged by Pearls, et al?

Anyone?????? Crystal, can you write a Biblical Marriage book?

As of 4/19/07 it appears I must retire my famous, saying: "Yes, I'm still nursing, it's the only thing I know I'm doing right!"
Old 04-06-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
hsgbdmama
Deactivated

Yeah, it's winter here ...

hsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, I have read CTBHHM and there are many women who feel that it "saved" their marriages; however, it is just one big guilt trip that leaves one absolutely numb, so numb that you don't even realize what you are reading when you get to MP's part where he says you must put up with being abused.

For me, a better book to read, which I have recommended is Families Where Grace is in Place -- it addresses the respect issues in marriages without all the icky, guilt trip stuff.
hsgbdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
bluedotsmom
Rose Bouquet

Thank you, Jodi...I'll have to get that book.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
DebraBaker

The old church that got into Ezzo and kicked us out, remember them from me whining?

Well, their marriage theology is as base and off as their parenting theology.

Basically, I am here for my husband.

DB
Old 04-06-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Actually . . . . . . the book I'm working on now is about how grace impacts our entire family relationships and our lives in general. It's going to be more in depth than my first. I wish I had more time to work on it, but it's coming along

I also recommend Van Vondervan
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
bluedotsmom
Rose Bouquet

Thanks, Debra and Crystal...keep it coming ladies!

Crystal, is there a particular title by Van Vondervan? I'm not familiar with that name?

Old 04-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #8
AmyDoll
Deactivated

AmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond repute

Van Vondervan wrote "Families Where Grace is in Place"
AmyDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #9
bluedotsmom
Rose Bouquet

I have so many books on my Amazon wish list, but I've just been adding titles from here as I see them. I'll bet on most of them that I haven't looked at who the author is.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:43 PM   #10
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unprepared for marriage or women damaged by Pe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
I also recommend Van Vondervan
Kind of OT, but if anyone TiVos Oprah, he was on the other day We're going through his book right now in our Bible study

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #11
UltraMother
Rose Garden

UltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond repute

So, if we do add yet another forum, lmk- I'd be interested in this one.

Babies-they just grow on you.
UltraMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:58 PM   #12
hiddenhippie6

I would be interested too. I was really brainwashed by CTBHHM. So much that I gave it to two of my friends . What do I say now after I bragged about this book? I really think that I should tell them that I made a mistake. One friend was even going to do TTUAC I shared alot of things that I have read here and she changed her mind. I feel bad for being apart of all that.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:20 PM   #13
Rbonmom
Rose Garden

Rbonmom has a reputation beyond reputeRbonmom has a reputation beyond reputeRbonmom has a reputation beyond reputeRbonmom has a reputation beyond reputeRbonmom has a reputation beyond reputeRbonmom has a reputation beyond reputeRbonmom has a reputation beyond reputeRbonmom has a reputation beyond reputeRbonmom has a reputation beyond reputeRbonmom has a reputation beyond reputeRbonmom has a reputation beyond repute

One HUGE issue that I found when reading MP's stuff (out of curiosity, not for myself) was that he believes we can become sinless in this lifetime
One thing that really upsets me in the church is how so many people I respect will wade through this garbage without really questioning it. My sister was telling me about a friend of ours who's dh came from an abusive background and possibly struggled with it himself, and how his wife was just raving about CTBHHM There are so many great marriage resources and you don't have to take the advice of an abusive, legalistic, possible unsaved, definitely decieved man!

Pediatric ICU Nurse
Rbonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #14
4gifts
Rose Bouquet

4gifts will become famous soon enough4gifts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandSmama

For me, a better book to read, which I have recommended is Families Where Grace is in Place -- it addresses the respect issues in marriages without all the icky, guilt trip stuff.
After seeing that several of you reccommended Jeff Vanvonderen...I checked on eBay and got this book for $5. Looking forward to getting into it.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #15
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Um....what's CTBHHM?
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote