Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-14-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
BearyBlessed
Rose Garden

BearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's the best bed?

Ok, so we're thinking of getting a new bed with our refund money. But other than wanting the biggest one we can get , I'm not sure what to get. Does anyone have a good recommendation for me?

Wife to my best friend since December 2000
Mama to my boys
Aji ~ My long awaited blessing ~ May 2007
Living with T1D since May 2012

YoYo ~ My HBAC miracle ~ November 2009

BearyBlessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
Beyond Blessed
Deactivated

Beyond Blessed is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's the best bed?

I have degenerative disk disease and I used to wake up EVERY morning in horrible pain! When we moved we bought a Sleep Number Bed. IT IS AWESOME!!! I no longer wake up with back pain every morning. Neither dh's nor my arms go tingly in the night anymore. He sets his side and I set mine - I LOVE IT (did I mention that ). Okay, so we also "splurged" on some 600 thread count sheets from Overstock.com and some downy pillows. My husband said he felt like he was staying in some top notch hotel! I felt so proud to have put something together to make him feel that way! Anyway, SLEEP NUMBER BED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (oh - we go the "whisper quiet" - and I've heard some people say that they got too hot in this bed - but I get hot easily and I hate it - I haven't had any problems in this bed.)
Beyond Blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:24 PM   #3
Mamaka
Deactivated

Mamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond repute

We got a tempurpedic (sp?) and really really like it! I'm getting the best sleep of my life in this bed. Highly recommend it, so worth the money.
Mamaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:31 AM   #4
godsgracegiven

We are looking for a new bed too. I have fusion in my back and neck, so I understand
waking up in horrible pain. As well, as constant migraines. I have been sleeping w/ dd some nights because it is just getting harder and harder to sleep on our bed. So I will be watching this thread too. How much are these beds?
Old 04-15-2005, 05:56 AM   #5
Beyond Blessed
Deactivated

Beyond Blessed is on a distinguished road

mine was... $2,200 I REALLY didn't want to pay so much - but it IS worth it to be living without excruciating pain in the morning (dh used to have to help me dress on occasion). We used money we made on our house sale, so that was a blessing.
Beyond Blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:45 AM   #6
Tanyia
Deactivated

Tanyia is on a distinguished road

We got a king size sleep number for Christmas and let me tell you...it was SOOO worth it. DH fractured a vertebrae a few years back amd was suffering constant bad back aches, he wakes up much happier now . There's so much room for all of us as well. I don't wake up with numb arms and hands anymore either. You know how when you spend a lot of money on something, if it isn't pefect you beat yourself up over it everytime you see it?? I NEVER feel this way with the bed, it was a GREAT use of money.
Tanyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:52 AM   #7
lenswyf
Rose Garden

lenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a Comfortaire bed, which is like a Select Comfort, but costs less. It was the best thing we ever did. I like a firm bed for back issues. Hubby likes a softer bed. Now we're both happy, both waking up pain-free in the mornings.

Check with your local dealers. We bought a floor model and paid a lot less for it because other people had laid on it once in a while. The showroom only kept beds out for 4 months before replacing them, so it's not like it got a lot of wear and tear. Maybe your dealer would tell you when they rotate their floor models.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:41 AM   #8
Mamaka
Deactivated

Mamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond repute

Ours is qs tempurpedic, basic model (you can get models that bend), firmer model. It cost about $1200 including the "box springs" that tempurpedic makes. It was a bit of sticker shock for us but well worth it. Plus my mom & dad bought a bed a few months later, just a basic spring coil type (spring air I think?) and that w/box springs was over $800 so we figure the extra cash for a really good bed was well worth it.
Mamaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:45 AM   #9
Gretchen

Ours is a Stearns & Foster (high end of Sealy) king-sized pillowtop. It is *amazing*. We love our bed soooooo much.

We considered Sleep Number, but I was leery because of bad reviews online - I saw lots of reviews that had problems with the pumps malfunctioning, and several people said that sleeping right in the middle of the bed was not comfortable in a king because the mattress is 2 divided pieces. With my son coming into our bed, there's always someone in the middle.

OTOH, sounds like lots of you here are happy with the Sleep Number. My SIL and BIL have one and they like it a lot. In our case, my DH and I have very similar opinions on what is comfortable, so it was pretty easy to find a good bed for us. I think something like the Sleep Number is a good choice if one partner likes rock hard and the other one wants super soft.

Gretchen
Old 04-15-2005, 10:25 AM   #10
kris10s
Deactivated

kris10s is on a distinguished road

Get the firmest mattress with the softest pillowtop that you can afford. Stearns and Foster rocks!
kris10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:54 PM   #11
lumpofclay

We have a foam mattress too. It's like the Tempurpedic, only it's Bodipedic. We ordered ours from QVC. We have a king, and I believe it was around $1000 delivered and set-up. I slept on C's bed, which is a coil spring for 3 1/2 months after Truman was born because I just wasn't comfortable co-sleeping on our bed. (I think it was all in my head, more than anything, because he doesn't sink down or anything. I was just being very cautious.) Anyway, I am sleeping so much better back on our bed! I'm probably going to get C (& M b/c she now sleeps with her sister) a topper! (Well, when DH gets a job. . . he's been laid off for 2 months.)
Old 04-17-2005, 08:30 AM   #12
BearyBlessed
Rose Garden

BearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond reputeBearyBlessed has a reputation beyond repute

Tempurpedic and Sleep Number are definitely top contenders for us. Or their non-brand name counter parts. I'm just having a hard time making up my mind.

Wife to my best friend since December 2000
Mama to my boys
Aji ~ My long awaited blessing ~ May 2007
Living with T1D since May 2012

YoYo ~ My HBAC miracle ~ November 2009

BearyBlessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:18 AM   #13
lenswyf
Rose Garden

lenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
several people said that sleeping right in the middle of the bed was not comfortable in a king because the mattress is 2 divided pieces
One difference between the Sleep Comfort bed and the Comfortaire is that the Select Comfort has a foam support between the two mattresses. That was one reason we went with Comfortaire -- I thought that piece of foam would be uncomfortable for snuggling. With the Comfortaire, we have our mattresses set on differnent firmness levels, but if you're sitting in the middle of the bed, it's more like two water mattresses would be. The interface between the two kinda blends together.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:12 PM   #14
ernamosher

We got a new King Coil bed for Christmas. We looooove it! Dh's back causes him problems at times and he truly loves the new bed. Ours has the memory foam top, sooo very comfy. I splurged on nice new sheets and pillows, I feel so much like a queen on this bed. we paid just over $1400.00 for the whole set.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:43 PM   #15
boonpnutsmom
Deactivated

boonpnutsmom will become famous soon enough

We have a California King Tubed Waterbed. I love it to death. I cannot sleep on a regular matress and Gary had such a hard time on out other regular waterbed, he would roll towards the kids. With the tubes it can be different "squishiness" or "hardnesses" and when one person sits on the bed it doesn't roll like a normal bed. It is encased in a zippered matress the only difference from a regular bed is it has tubes filled with water. No need for heater either so much more cost effective.
boonpnutsmom is offline   Reply With Quote