Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 10-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Healthy muffin recipes for breakfast

Can anyone share genuinely healthy breakfast muffin recipes, please? Ones with very little sugar, sugar substitutes or preferably no sugar and a good flour. And no ingredients like chocolate chips. Thanks!

Googling comes up with things that I don't want to eat at breakfast time.

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Location: High above a great and beautiful canyon in a Golden State city...
Firebird Rising has disabled reputation
Default Re: Healthy muffin recipes for breakfast

It's not sugar free, but it's fat free and they're delicious! Here they are

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/03...e-muffins.html

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Firebird Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebird Rising For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (10-19-2011), Marrae (10-07-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
jujubnme
Rose Garden

Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:18)

jujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond repute

I've been really wanting to try this, which I think meets your criterea:

http://paleocomfortfoods.com/recipes...glory-muffins/

wife to my awesome dh since 8/2000 - mom to my sweet jujube ds since 9/2001
all INFPs, living in harmonious chaos.

GLORY be to God for dappled things---
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

GERARD MANLY HOPKINS

jujubnme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jujubnme For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (10-19-2011), Marrae (10-07-2011), Mokek Kwe (10-15-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
NeshamaMama
Rose Garden

Formerly emilik :)

NeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond repute

ETA: question about the 2 recipes just posted:

- In the carrot one, how would I tweak the ratio to use honey instead of agave? Also the recipe calls for soy yogurt and the Note says you could sub rice milk - typo, or would milk work for yogurt w/out affecting the recipe?

- In the morning glory one, do I need to change the amounts to use ww flour instead of almond flour?

Christopher
(INTP)

Mama to
Mayah Evangeline (01/10
)
and
Miriam Anneliese (05/12)
Living simply and loving my God!

Last edited by NeshamaMama; 10-07-2011 at 02:08 PM.
NeshamaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to make these often: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...muffins-recipe They're really yummy. I make them even healthier, I cut back way on the sugar and have also used honey and left out the oj, use unsweetened coconut, coconut oil, flax seed in place of wheat bran, etc.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
Marrae (10-11-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
mamajane
Rose Garden

mamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond repute

subbing for these recipes.
mamajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
jujubnme
Rose Garden

Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:18)

jujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilik View Post

- In the carrot one, how would I tweak the ratio to use honey instead of agave? Also the recipe calls for soy yogurt and the Note says you could sub rice milk - typo, or would milk work for yogurt w/out affecting the recipe?

- In the morning glory one, do I need to change the amounts to use ww flour instead of almond flour?
I would think you could substitute honey for agave 1:1... Not sure about the yogurt question.

For the morning glory muffin, personally I would google a different recipe that was designed to use whole wheat flour. There are a lot of Morning Glory muffin recipes out there. I just did and saw that Whole Foods has one, as does allrecipes.com. That way you can find one to try that fits the ingredients you have.

wife to my awesome dh since 8/2000 - mom to my sweet jujube ds since 9/2001
all INFPs, living in harmonious chaos.

GLORY be to God for dappled things---
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

GERARD MANLY HOPKINS

jujubnme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jujubnme For This Useful Post:
Marrae (10-18-2011), NeshamaMama (10-07-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

In the carrot one, how would I tweak the ratio to use honey instead of agave? Also the recipe calls for soy yogurt and the Note says you could sub rice milk - typo, or would milk work for yogurt w/out affecting the recipe?

Haven't looked at the recipes, you should be able to google for a honey to agave conversion, I've had success with that in the past, but don't remember where I found it.

I'd replace soy yogurt with regular yogurt, sounds like the substitutions are keeping it still dairy free. In my experience, you want to replace a cultured product (and I assume that soy yogurt is still cultured?) with a cultured product, so if you don't want to use regular yogurt you could replace it with sour cream (but that might affect flavor?) or buttermilk. The cultures help with the rising though, so if you replace yogurt with milk you're going to get a less fluffy end product.

No clue on the flours.

I've liked the muffins (and most other recipes) I've tried from the Heavenly Homemaker site http://heavenlyhomemaker.com/ They're healthy in a Nourishing Traditions style, so use natural sweeteners instead of refined sugar, and healthy fats, whole grains. But if you're looking for low fat, no sweeteners, they're not going to appeal to you.

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
Marrae (10-18-2011), NeshamaMama (10-07-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
Love_Is_Patient
Rose Trellis

Love_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an oat bran muffins with banana (and no sugar):
http://www.food.com/recipe/banana-oa...d-sugar-113840

And here's a more basic WW muffin with banana:
http://bob-ewing.hubpages.com/hub/No...Muffins-Recipe

I've found that most basic muffin recipes are pretty flexible AFA subbing WW flour, adding wheat germ, reducing sugar and subbing honey or mashed bananas, etc. I like to experiment, and don't mind slightly heavy/dense results, though.
Marrae (10-11-2011), momyshaver (10-15-2011)
Old 10-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Location: High above a great and beautiful canyon in a Golden State city...
Firebird Rising has disabled reputation

Quote:

There should be a sub. ratio online for sugar to agave. I used soy milk instead of yogurt so I assume regular milk would work.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Firebird Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebird Rising For This Useful Post:
NeshamaMama (10-08-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
unlisted

I was just on www.foodgawker.com and found TONS of muffin recipes!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Marrae (10-11-2011), momyshaver (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
momyshaver
Rose Trellis

Grace is for mamas too!

momyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud of

subbing.

And this thread spurred me to pull out one of my cookbooks to try a new (to me) overnight raisin bran muffins ...all mixed up and the recipe says that the batter will last for up to 6 weeks! I am not sure if it could be easily modified to a low sugar recipe - I will have to taste the original recipe first and then try to alter it next go round. (That is my approach anyways). I am in a breakfast rut right now where I need to do something new but still semi healthy!

Last edited by momyshaver; 10-11-2011 at 04:22 PM.
momyshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light

I was trying to make gf banana muffins once and was so distracted I forgot the sugar and the egg. Used all rice flour, plus a couple teaspoons ground flax seed.
They tasted great! simplyrecipes.com has a good general banana muffin recipe.

I think flax seed is sometimes used as a vegan sub for egg.

Since then, I purposefully make banana muffins (any type flour) without sugar or eggs and no one has noticed.

Still tons of natural sugar from the bananas, but unless the muffin is savory, it needs some sweetness.
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #15
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

S LOVES muffins.

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote