Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public* > GD Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

GD Info and FAQs *Public* The new home for most of the GD stickies. :)

Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #211
hellomama
Deactivated

hellomama is a name known to allhellomama is a name known to allhellomama is a name known to allhellomama is a name known to allhellomama is a name known to allhellomama is a name known to allhellomama is a name known to all
Default Re: s/o parenting self-talk

that was me subbing to this awesome thread. amazing amazing wisdom here
hellomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #212
Caecelia
Rose Trellis

Caecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1, born at home 6/27/11
DD2, born at home 5/5/14

INFJ DYT 4 (why yes, my signature is bolded! )

RIP Dad (5/16/51-9/6/12) Always in my heart

Caecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #213
JenniferM

As a newbie, I have found this thread helpful and encouraging.
Helpful - I've already started teaching myself so I can respond more gracefully.
Encouraging - I have a legitimate reason to talk to myself!

Also, it helps me to know that others struggle with similar things. I was hesitant about joining this group because I thought maybe it was filled with moms that are gentle and kind and never get angry or yell at their kids.... It's much more helpful to see that it is filled with moms who do get angry and regretfully yell at their kids while pursuing gentleness and kindness!
Thank You!
Jennifer
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
allisonintx (04-29-2013), bentlaj11 (04-29-2013), charla (04-29-2013), jewelmcjem (05-01-2013), Maggirayne (10-21-2013), MariekeSings (06-02-2013), Pearl In Oyster (04-29-2013), Rugayatu (05-02-2013), saturnfire16 (04-29-2013), SewingGreenMama (08-18-2013), Tasmanian Saint (04-29-2013), Vicki_T (05-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #214
MariekeSings
Rose Trellis

Discovering motherhood

MariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond repute

Another one falling in love with this thread! I am so grateful that Allison pointed me here.

I don't have children yet, but I know I can start GDing/re-parenting myself now so I've got a head start! I definitely struggle with anger issues stemming from emotional abuse growing up, but DH has been a huge help walking me through healing from that, so it's better. But I want to gain more tools and strengthen myself as much as I can before kids!

Married to my Sound Guy since 8/2006
Mama to G ~ 2/2014

DYT 3/1 (Officially thanks to Chaos Coordinator ) ~ IsFp
WAHM: Singer/Voice Teacher

MariekeSings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MariekeSings For This Useful Post:
allisonintx (06-02-2013), Maggirayne (10-21-2013), ShepherdsWife (06-03-2013), Tasmanian Saint (06-11-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #215
ShepherdsWife
Rose Bouquet

Full-time Mom to DS 8/13/12, Wife to the Sheep Man, and Rancher to 8000 momma sheep(ewes) :)

ShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant future

LOVE, Love, love, this thread. The idea of self-talk hadn't really occurred to my in such a practical. way. I definitely needed it!
ShepherdsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShepherdsWife For This Useful Post:
allisonintx (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #216
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

It's so startlingly effective to patiently parent the little girls in your head, and watch how they respond.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
DancingWithElves (06-03-2013), Dovenoir (06-03-2013), Luciola (06-03-2013), Maggirayne (10-21-2013), MariekeSings (06-03-2013), Tasmanian Saint (06-11-2013), TraceMama (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #217
Luciola
Rose Trellis

iNFp Type 2/1

Luciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond repute

I really needed this today. I'm glad it got bumped.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #218
Delaney
Climbing Rose

Delaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud of

Mama to DS - 2007
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #219
greenleafknitter
Climbing Rose

greenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond reputegreenleafknitter has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad I found this thread. I want to come back and and re-read and really soak in all the wisdom here.

DD M - 10/08

DS A - 3/12

greenleafknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greenleafknitter For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #220
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for bumping this !
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #221
thrillofhope
Deactivated

thrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond repute

I'm late to the party, but I want to sub and remember this. I cried through all 15 pages. I'm not doing okay. It helps to know other mamas I admire have been there.
thrillofhope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say they are praying for thrillofhope:
allisonintx (10-14-2013), charla (10-14-2013), MegMarch (10-14-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #222
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

If you're here and you made it through all 15 pages, you're already moving forward.

You might just be amazed at what an impact realizing that you can re-parent yourself toward health will make in your life, in a very very short time.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
Bonnie (10-15-2013), charla (10-14-2013), Dovenoir (10-14-2013), Maggirayne (10-21-2013), ShepherdsWife (10-17-2013), simplegirl (10-15-2013), Tasmanian Saint (10-15-2013), thrillofhope (10-15-2013), TraceMama (10-15-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #223
ShepherdsWife
Rose Bouquet

Full-time Mom to DS 8/13/12, Wife to the Sheep Man, and Rancher to 8000 momma sheep(ewes) :)

ShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-EyedLady View Post
I'll have to actually try this to see, but I think DS is too long for me to be able to do this. If I have my legs up high enough to pin down his arms, I think I'll be sitting too close to him to be able to wash his bottom. He's a tall boy (takes after DH) and I'm a short lady.

I think the problem I'm having is the part where you said "so you can lift his legs and change his diaper." If I lift his legs, he locks his knees and pushes with his feet to lift his whole body so that only his shoulders and head are on the changing table. His legs and bottom are squeezed together so that I can't actually clean up the poop. Does that make sense?

Oh - it makes me SOOOO just to think about this! I'm not mad about the poop - as they say "poop happens", right? It's the posture he uses which seems deliberately designed to frustrate me and prevent me from getting him cleaned up, and the fact that he's getting too strong for me to do anything about it.

I have to use all my strength to unlock his knees and spread his legs so that I can actually get to the poop smeared all over his whole diaper area. I usually use my left arm and entire upper body to hold him in position and block his hands as much as possible. I need to have my center of gravity over his upper body in order to have enough leverage to hold his (insanely strong) legs down. If I'm sitting on the floor, then I'm using my feet and hands (the weakest parts of my body) to hold him.

Does that make sense? I can sing a happy song all I like, but when he's screaming in my face because I'm holding him down, I feel like Mommy, the sadist. "Oh, you don't like this? You feel trapped and helpless? La la la-la-la."
So, this is totally off subject but I had to reply when reading this thread just in case some other mom is trying to learn self-talk and also is struggling with this. Mine ds must be changed standing....end of story. If I stand him on the edge of the sink holding him or on the floor if he is took wiggly then he behaves pretty wonderfully. I just focus on his face or let him play with something. I use wash cloths, but it works when we are out and I'm using wipes. It is just like washing a toddlers bottom, but my ds is only 14 months. I've been doing it since he was 6 months and could stand. He HATES to lay down and that is when I come close to losing it and see red so I just don't make him.
ShepherdsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShepherdsWife For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (10-17-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #224
thrillofhope
Deactivated

thrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond repute

Something I said to my son that I thought I needed to start parenting myself with:

"I know it's hard, and I know it's sad, but sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do."

Which is a lot better than, "Suck it up, cupcake."
thrillofhope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thrillofhope For This Useful Post:
Maggirayne (10-21-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #225
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferM View Post
I was hesitant about joining this group because I thought maybe it was filled with moms that are gentle and kind and never get angry or yell at their kids....
Sorry... that struck me as so stinkin' funny after the day I've had.
Quote:
It's much more helpful to see that it is filled with moms who do get angry and regretfully yell at their kids while pursuing gentleness and kindness!
Thank You!
Grace is for mommies too.

It was a real turning point for me allowing my kids to correct me. "Mom , that was rude and uncalled for." allowing them to have that voice I never did.

My 16yo daughter turned to me today and said , "Well that was mean." I realized it was and made amends.

My 19yo daughter's boyfriend startled...no...he scared the beejeebers outta me yesterday. I called him a very unflattering name in the heat of the moment. My daughter said , "MOTHER!! Language...my tender ears are burning here." I didn't apologize for that one , her boyfriend deserved it.
J3K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to J3K For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (10-17-2013), kwisie (10-17-2013), Maggirayne (10-21-2013), MariekeSings (10-17-2013), MegMarch (10-16-2013), ShepherdsWife (10-17-2013), thrillofhope (10-16-2013)