Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
Hurdy
Seedling Rose

Hurdy is on a distinguished road
Default Preparing pets for baby?

We are expecting our first and I was wondering if you have any tips on preparing dogs and cats for a baby in the house?

Hurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Preparing pets for baby?

Practice commands like "down" and "stay" with the dog.
Set up as much baby stuff as you can so they can get used to it.
Get some Nature's Miracle or similar enzyme cleaners if you don't have them since they are great for baby messes or pet messes.
Start to cut down on the attention you pay them or at least don't raise the level because you feel bad they'll have less soon. Not neglect, but let them get more used to your DH doing more of the pet care.
Ime, cats like to sleep in baby stuff but once a baby's been in it crying, they won't go near for awhile.
Get them any vet care they are due for soon since handling that with a baby to handle as well as harder.
Enjoy the sweet snuggles of a fur baby against your belly. I loved that so much when I was pregnant
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #3
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegMarch View Post
Practice commands like "down" and "stay" with the dog.
Set up as much baby stuff as you can so they can get used to it.
Get some Nature's Miracle or similar enzyme cleaners if you don't have them since they are great for baby messes or pet messes.
Start to cut down on the attention you pay them or at least don't raise the level because you feel bad they'll have less soon. Not neglect, but let them get more used to your DH doing more of the pet care.
Ime, cats like to sleep in baby stuff but once a baby's been in it crying, they won't go near for awhile.
Get them any vet care they are due for soon since handling that with a baby to handle as well as harder.
Enjoy the sweet snuggles of a fur baby against your belly. I loved that so much when I was pregnant
Yes to all of this! Think about where your baby will sleep and where your pets will sleep. One cat slept in the bed with us, but he was suuuuuper needy and cuddly and would literally try to sleep on our faces. Our other cat would sleep outside, so we started keeping the in and out cat inside at night and keeping the needy cat locked out of our room for longer and longer periods until he was staying out of our room all night. That way when the baby came it wasn't a huge adjustment. It was actually better because I would get up in the middle of the night a lot and he would snuggle with me and a baby!

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:38 PM   #4
Hurdy
Seedling Rose

Thanks ladies...we are moving when I am 25 weeks, so life is really going to be crazy for a while! I figure I have about 3 months to get everyone used to the new house, baby stuff and prepared for baby. I can do this right, LOL!

Old 04-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

My dogs were more impressed with the baby stuff than the actual baby. They did seem to pity the 'poor hair-less puppy with the strange bark'. They also made it clear to fil that it might be a strange puppy, but mom seems attached so don't get any ideas (one guarded the door, the other stood at his feet watching)

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:14 PM   #6
ShepherdsWife
Rose Bouquet

Full-time Mom to DS 8/13/12, Wife to the Sheep Man, and Rancher to 8000 momma sheep(ewes) :)

ShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant future

What kinds of dogs and how many and how old were they?
I found that my dog did very well. The doctor suggested we lay the baby on a blanket on the floor and let the dogs come up and sniff and lick the baby. Then they would be far more accepting. That depends on the breed though. We have border collies.
My husbands older dog however was very uninterested and then eventually started growling at the baby. Months later she nipped him and we almost got rid of her but she does so much work on our ranch it would be super hard without her. We have 20 other working dogs as well and I don't trust all of them alone with my kid. Most would never do anything but they just need to be watched. I think it had a lot to do with her age (7 yrs) and her "only child" mentality was far more ingrained in her because she had spent almost her entire first five years of life as the only house dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD December 2014
ShepherdsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:18 AM   #7
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

My dog got strangely protective when I was expecting my first, like she knew. We set everything up and showed her around. My Dh brought blankets and bibs home from the hospital before I came home with our first baby. He let the dog smell them so she would recognize us when we got back. . Apparently it was adorable how interested she was in the smells.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
ShepherdsWife (04-16-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #8
Hurdy
Seedling Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdsWife View Post
What kinds of dogs and how many and how old were they?
We have a 13 year old chihuahua mix...she can be a little on the grumpy side as her arthritis bothers her a bit. She has been around other babies and done well until they are mobile and are making sudden movements toward her. We know we will have to watch her very closely. But, she is 13 and been by my side through all the infertility and loss stuff we have been through, she isn't going anywhere, but I also won't allow her to hurt the baby of course! She still follows me around all the time (she is definitely MY dog), so the likelihood of her EVER being alone with the baby is slim to none.

Our other dog is a 1 year old lab/shepherd mix. She is still in the puppy stage, but is a sweet girl. We are working with her still on obedience, but I think she will be fine...she has a little trouble focusing at times.

We also have a 12 year old cat...he's a good boy, but I'm guessing will watch from afar!

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWithMyBabies View Post
My dog got strangely protective when I was expecting my first, like she knew.
Our cat seems to be more interested in me than our dogs. He will come and sit with me at night and sometimes sleep next to me. Before I got pg he would only do that with dh, so he knows something is up. Our girls are pretty much business as usual!

I was planning on doing the scent thing as well!