Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fostering Kittens with No Proper Supplies

We'll just start is off by saying we live in small town South Asia.

My friend B was visiting some friends when she came across some boys playing catch with a teeny baby kitten. She confiscated the kitten and took it home. I showed them how to pee her and her boys are taking turns feeding her milk with a baby nose suctioner. Tomorrow B's going to see if she can convince the cat next door to foster the kitten but as those babies are older (eyes open) it might not work.

So just to be prepared, help me figure out what to use to substitute a proper kitten bottle and formula.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fostering Kittens with No Proper Supplies

I've heard that goat's milk is a good sub, if that's handy. And that you can soak a cloth and they can suck it?

You might want to use a damp cotton ball/cloth/whatever to wipe the rump to make it potty.

Following with
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
arelyn (04-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 03:58 AM   #3
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

Well the cat next door had a boisterous bunch of big kittens almost ready to leave the nest so Jenny (as B's sons named the kitten) has come to live with us yesterday. I've got a ridiculously long eye dropper to feed her with but it's giving me a lot more control than the syringe I tried. That kept sticking and then suddenly coming way too fast and I don't want to get formula in her lungs.

I wish I knew how old she was. Her eyes are still closed but I think she can hear. If I fake purr she purrs back but she might be picking up on vibrations more than sound. She weighed in at not quite 90 grams on my kitchen scale and in 24 hrs has already gained 3 1/2 grams (and that's before I fed her lunch). So far so good. DS1 says I need to put a heart here.

We keep reminding the boys (and ourselves) that even if you do a really good job taking care of kittens this tiny sometimes they die anyway. She's the cutest thing though. I really hope she thrives.

arelyn

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.

Last edited by arelyn; 04-10-2015 at 04:01 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:34 AM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I would do lots of "kittenwearing".

Pics?

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #5
Elibellamiah
Rose Trellis

Elibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond repute

So, I don't know how comparable it is, but my kittens were over 90 grams when they were born. I would think she can't be very old at all. I hope she makes it.
Elibellamiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

I have a little time to kill before her 1:30am feeding so...

Introducing Jenny

And I have no idea what to expect regarding her weight and age. Cats here are so much smaller than cats in the states. Whether it's genetics or diet and how much the mother cats diet effects the kittens' size is anyone's guess! She's strong and feisty though so I'm hopeful.

arelyn

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arelyn For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-10-2015), Llee (04-10-2015), MaySunflowers (04-11-2015), MegMarch (04-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #7
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Awwwwww!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
Hurdy
Seedling Rose

Hurdy is on a distinguished road

Praying for your sweet kitten!
Hurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #9
luvinmama
Rose Garden

Taking one day at a time...

luvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond repute

Oh she's adorable.

We live in "big city Asia" and still have had very few successes with kittens that small. We find on average 1-3 each spring in our compound that have been abandoned and they are tiny, eyes unopened, just like the one you've pictured. The longest we've had one has been two weeks. The biggest thing I've noticed when caring for them is that you must must must pee them frequently, even overnight. We soaked bread in goats milk formula (we got some from a local friend) and it sucked on that. Eye dropper, plastic syringe, etc. work well. Keep them warm and in a cozy box with towels. I tried lots of skin to skin and maybe that helped too? Not sure. I even expressed breastmilk for it in a syringe.

Hoping she works our for you! I always feel emotionally drained when I invest so much time and the girls get attached only to wake up to them on their last leg.

Married to my best friend '03

Love to and to DH

In case you're wondering...I'm an ENFJ

luvinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #10
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

Well so far she's gaining well and getting really strong. Yesterday marked one week since my friend rescued her. Her stomach is giving us problems though. She was constipated despite my best efforts to stimulate pooping. Then last night she finally went but it was just watery diarrhea so I'm wondering if she's still constipated and that's just what's leaking out or if I overfed her while pushing liquids to fight the constipation and now she has diarrhea. I wish we had pumpkin puree here. It's supposedly good for both problems.

arelyn

The Following User Says Thank You to arelyn For This Useful Post:
MegMarch (04-13-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 04:52 AM   #11
luvinmama
Rose Garden

luvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. You can't buy pumpkins anywhere, huh? it's great she's getting stronger and gaining! What about coconut water or something?

Love to and to DH

Old 04-14-2015, 10:18 PM   #12
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

sensitive Re: Fostering Kittens with No Proper Supplies

Please note this is marked sensitive.

She died this morning even though she had seemed fine and strong less than 24 hours before (she only seemed sick for maybe 15 hrs). The diahrrea progressed at a terrifying pace. DH and I stayed up all night trying to keep her hydrated with coconut water and electrol but by morning it was evident she wasn't going to make it. She was so happy through it all though, snuggling me the whole time and purring right up until the last half hour. At least she got to know love instead of dying at the hands of those sadistic boys who had her.

And the worst thing is...as I was holding her helplessly this morning I realized that everyday in my country someone is doing this with their child. It was gut wrenching going through that with a kitten I've only known a week. I can't even fathom doing it with a child and yet diarrhea is the top killer of children under 5 here.

arelyn

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arelyn For This Useful Post:
Katigre (04-15-2015), Quiteria (04-19-2015), Singingmom (04-19-2015)
The Following 4 Users Say they are praying for arelyn:
MegMarch (04-18-2015), Quiteria (04-19-2015), Singingmom (04-19-2015), Zooey (04-19-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 11:21 PM   #13
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry. I hoped she'd pull through for you. You did such an amazing job making her little life better.
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
arelyn (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 08:11 PM   #14
luvinmama
Rose Garden

I'm so sorry.

Love to and to DH

The Following User Says Thank You to luvinmama For This Useful Post:
arelyn (04-16-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 07:06 PM   #15
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I am so sorry.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote