Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #226
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bentonite Clay

certain clays have been taken by people for centuries. thats the safest you can get in my opinion. but when things are sort of a dead art for lack of better words, the more reason to be very careful and learn all you can!
clay is especially used by women who are pregnant and even their infants. native americans being one group.

and then there is testimony. not a friend of a friend of a friend or the person selling it. i can attest to its safety during pregnancy. i had gd, pree, edema, an ugly stomach bug, and asthma this last pregnancy. im putting it mildly when i say clay helped me. and still is.

clay wont make anyone nauseous because its odorless and tasteless. if its not when you get it, dont take it1
the texture thickens when you let hydrated clay sit (like if you premix some to let it sit which is recommended) so if you have texture issues like I do, either add it to something like cocoa or coffee (non dairy) or hydrate your clay fresh instead of in batches.

Be sure to always use the internal hydration and not the external or you will mix up a clump of mud it should be watery.

With a sensitive stomach you can either add psyllium or not depending on what is making your stomach sensitive. If you think or have any indication that your intestines arent as clean as they should be I wouldnt add the psyllium at first when starting the first three days at a watered down amount. Why? from personal experience, I had a bad stomach bug and didnt know it. My ob said I just had gas and also needed to take more fiber. I took psyllium and I ended up throwing that up.
I took the clay and was just sure to add it to a fruit smoothie with fiber from the fruits. I did amazingly well with that.
I also liked clay brownies.
Now that my stomach is flowing faster and the clay has fixed up things, I really like taking clay with psyllium better. But I still wouldnt start off with the two mixed. I guess what im saying is if you can already take psyllium and do good with it, add it. But if not, dont.

If you start out very conservative with the clay and listen to your body you wont have any side effects. I can say this based on my experience starting it as I was pregnant as well as starting clay with my 4 children.
If you see any side effects, it isnt the clay but what it is pulling out and your body isnt able to release quick enough.

hths
me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #227
Blue Aurora
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond repute

Did clay help with the pre-e and gd?

True obedience is a matter of love, which makes it voluntary, not compelled by fear or force. ~Dorothy Day

Blue Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #228
me
Rose Garden

Yep. I was able to keep from spilling protein longer than I had with the others. I had all the same old symptoms plus some and yet I kept a decent bp and urine sample. And I would take clay baths right before my ob visit so my edema wasn't so obvious.
I was originally going to try a vbac so I wanted to carry until baby was ready without the ob finding a reason to admit me.
I don't recommend this, I'm just explaining why I continued to take clay and why I can say it works. Whatever I'm my body that causes this to happen when I carry was greatly helped by clay. Not every womans body is the same though.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #229
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

How do I empty the tub to avoid clogging the pipes. I read that clay can build up in your pipes and DON'T want that. DH had to jackhammer an 18 foot path across our basement and replace tons of pipe in the house that year - don't want to go through that.

The website said "because bentonite is a swelling, clumping clay" and went on to explain the only clay that won't clog pipes over time is some type of very fine non clumping swelling clay I hadn't heard of

I have limited my kids to foot baths but would REALLY like to do some full body clay baths. The only thing I can think of it to buy a small baby pool and set it up outside next summer for clay baths

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:08 AM   #230
Blue Aurora
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Aurora has a reputation beyond repute

OH I guess I need to find out about that. We have a septic tank. Can I do clay baths?

True obedience is a matter of love, which makes it voluntary, not compelled by fear or force. ~Dorothy Day

Old 01-27-2009, 07:07 AM   #231
doubleblessings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Can I have this dance?

doubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond repute

Old 01-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #232
me
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama
How do I empty the tub to avoid clogging the pipes.  I read that clay can build up in  your pipes and DON'T want that.  DH had to jackhammer an 18 foot path across our basement and replace tons of pipe in the house that year - don't want to go through that. 

The website said "because bentonite is a swelling, clumping clay" and went on to explain the only clay that won't clog pipes over time is some type of very fine non clumping swelling clay I hadn't heard of

I have limited my kids to foot baths but would REALLY like to do some full body clay baths.   The only thing I can think of it to buy a small baby pool and set it up outside next summer for clay baths

maybe pyrophyilite is what youre thinking?

im not really sure about bentonite and the pipes. I dont use enough in the tub to really be concerned about it, i use the amount that would be similar to just washing a mudy kid off in the summer or somone comming back from the beach, maybe even less, and theres no solid clay or sludge, only way you know its in there is the color of water 
im sure over time, a standard cup full of clay bath would effect pipes though, i wouldnt put large amounts of mud in my tub even if it was my favorite clay 
the baby pool idea seasonally might be on to something. i wouldnt want to use that kind of plastic though. what i would love to be able to do is dig a shallow hole in my yard, fill and hydrate it so its like a spa's clay bath or the natural pits ive been to(wouldnt be warm or bubbling but oh well) then use it for just that summer and fill it in. that would kind of work like what weston price describes earlier people doing. then just taking the clay internally.

we havent needed a clay bath in a long time since i first did the initial ones consistently for weeks.  perhaps we are up for another series. if someone is needing to do clay baths over and over and over, and with enough clay to make you worry about your pipes theres something off? not everyone would agree with me, but i dont think that is the best way to use clay. the goal is for clay to heal and detox, then just maintenance till you need to detox again 
when i had preeclampsia the clay was just as effective for me with way less than the recommended amount so i figure a person in normal health wouldnt need so much either.

oh, and dont add anything to your clay bath or use tupperware to store your clay.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #233
TuneMyHeart
Rose Garden

Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above.

TuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

I took my first clay bath last night and the bumps on my arms that I've had since AK was born are so much better! I was surprised how thirsty I was afterwards though.

Can I just put a little powder in some water and drink it, or do I need to hydrate it first?

For a yeast rash, can I just sprinkle the powder on the baby, or do I need to hydrate that too?
TuneMyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #234
me
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMom
I took my first clay bath last night and the bumps on my arms that I've had since AK was born are so much better! I was surprised how thirsty I was afterwards though.

Can I just put a little powder in some water and drink it, or do I need to hydrate it first?

For a yeast rash, can I just sprinkle the powder on the baby, or do I need to hydrate that too?
agh i just lost my post....
you can put some in without hydrating. thats what i do now. but i wouldnt recommend it until you are more familiar with clay and how much your individual body works with it. remember to hydrate for drinking its 1 to 10 then you take a small amount of that. theres a chance if you add it straight that you might take to much and detox to fast. you dont want to detox right at the beginning. especially with what you are going through right now, the odds are high thats what will happen.

and clay for diapering is applied just like any other diaper powder. take a pinch and apply it to the area without getting any dust in the air.

if you have some time you can use the clay to absorb any yeast already on the skin. Make a paste out of it 1 to 3 parts. apply a thick layer because you dont want it to dry. you never want hydrated clay to dry on irritated skin, it will tighten! after 30 minutes rinse it off and reapply. you have to rinse off the old clay because it is absorbing the yeast, pulling it from the skin. you can do that once or twice but for maximum results you should do this for 4 hours. then put some dry clay on with a fresh diaper.

you will be amazed at how clean and fresh it leaves baby and how much less they will squirm in their diaper. yeast is just as uncomfortable for babies as it is for us

it wouldnt hurt to also rub some dry clay on babies armpits and all skin folds, like behind the knees and ears, and neck. just be careful not to have clay dust flying in the air.

im glad to hear about the bumps on your arm. my son had that over his entire back and clay always removed it. but after we started healing our guts is when they didnt return and we no longer needed to keep putting it on him.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #235
me
Rose Garden

I have a question! does anyone know or have heard of how to soak potatos in clay like weston price mentions some people did in the past? i only read this from a clip, i dont have his book or can find where he is siting this from.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #236
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute

Okay after doing my research the only issue I have is that there is a potential to develop hypocalcemia if you ingest enough clay. Basically, that is a potassium deficiency or electrolyte imbalance. Somehow, the clay must act against the body to absorb some essential nutrients. That concerns me a little.
Lantern Light Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #237
me
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyInTheSpirit
Okay after doing my research the only issue I have is that there is a potential to develop hypocalcemia if you ingest enough clay. Basically, that is a potassium deficiency or electrolyte imbalance. Somehow, the clay must act against the body to absorb some essential nutrients. That concerns me a little.
you would have to eat something like a years worth per day if i remember right. to much of anything can be a bad thing, even water.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #238
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Aurora
OH I guess I need to find out about that. We have a septic tank. Can I do clay baths?
I read that you shouldn't use any types of clays with septic tanks. If you google "clay bath septic tank", you'll find info 0

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #239
Blue Aurora
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I emailed Carol and she said it was fine... I guess I'll google it now.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #240
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute

I have vitamin deficiencies and so I must to be very careful and considerate , at least to always take the clay on an empty stomach. It still concerns me, not to scare anyone though. One case was reported in a three year old, but the parents had been using it as an enema and there is really no telling how much or for how long . Still...it is enough to make me think more about it. If you have a reference for it being a condition that occurs only after years of use please link me to it ( I would love to read it to comfort myself on the issue once and for all).
Lantern Light Mama is offline   Reply With Quote