Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
purple_kangaroo
Rose Garden

purple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dobson book on boys?

I heard someone recommend one of Dobson's books on boys to a friend (not sure if it was Bringing up Boys or another one) and was wondering what you all can tell me about his "boy books".

Also, any good alternatives to recommend? This sweet family has several high-needs, active, spirited little boys.

PK

Seeking truth and understanding.

I have 4 precious children: A (born Feb 2001), M (June 2002), E (Aug 2005) and N (Dec 2013). AMEN!
purple_kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dobson book on boys?

subbing because I have a copy someone gave me when Gabe was born that I haven't read but am wondering about.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
LoveIsGentle
Rose Garden

LoveIsGentle has disabled reputation

Eh...there was some good stuff, some ick. Bringing Up Boys was the book that first made me rethink following the typical Dobson style of parenting because I felt so uncomfortable about some of the things in it. Lots of stuff about how after the first year or so, boys HAVE to detatch from their mothers or they'll be forever unhealthy/emotionally stunted/gay. I think there was stuff about how many single moms raise gay children because there isn't a male in the home to teach them how men should act. And then of course, I think there was the typical "breaking their will" speeches throughout. I haven't read any Dobson books since ds1 was a baby, so I may be off on which book those things are in, but I think it was that one.

I don't have boy-specific recommendations, but I loved Playful Parenting and Raising Your Spirited Child.
LoveIsGentle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveIsGentle For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (06-11-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 03:49 AM   #4
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

Steve Biddulph has a boy book... Think it's called Raising Boys
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:30 AM   #5
cbmk4
Rose Garden

INTJ

cbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond repute

I usually shy away from gender specific books on parenting (and probably other topics, too!)

Mama to my four dear children ages 22, 19, (forever 13) and 10
cbmk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cbmk4 For This Useful Post:
Domina (06-13-2011), Synesthesia (06-12-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
gentlemommy
Deactivated

gentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard good things about Raising Cain but I haven't read it myself. It sounds good from the description on amazon.
gentlemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
Cook
Rose Bush

Cook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of lightCook is a glorious beacon of light

I read "Bringing Up Boys" when my dd was first born. It had been on my list for a while but with two boys keeping me busy, I didn't "have time" until dd was nursing frequently Some how, sitting there with a baby girl cuddled up close and nurturing her in that way... I was disgusted to read that book. The ideas in it were insane. I think Dobson does make a good run at poking humor at the style of boys in general- I personally believe that boys and girls *are* different. However, the book is completely counterproductive imo to what boys really need. I have a high spirited 4 yo who, attached as he can be, can also run and tumble with the big boys like no one's business.

It was reading THAT book that made me start to question and unravel so much of what I'd "stood for" as a parent. Well that and my son's delays. The idea that a child not fitting the mold is an indication of their "will" is so distractive- and with 1 in 70 boys being diagnosed with autism now, it disgusting to think that what are ACTUAL RED FLAGS could be skewed by this man to seem like strongwilled personality markers. Furthermore, it often leads at risk children to further shut down and disengage. Very very sad

I am not sure, if they are strong into that mindset, that another book would "work" other than something that might be sorta mainstream about development. If they can change their expectations to be reasonable and move their focus on leading good behavior rather than dispelling "bad" things might start to open up for them. Parenting the Bringing up Boys way is also very robbing for the parents as well! I can't count how many times I've gotten to see my kids shine simply because my focus was on the relationship with them rather than the "rearing" that it used to be.

A career student at
'God Is Still Growing Me' Techincal College
Jointly enrolled at 'Amen To That' University

My husband is active duty Army. We had three kids in thirty one months. Fortunately I've kept them all alive and mostly healthy Even the stressful days are blessings and/or struggles that we've overcome!

The next generation of perpetually in progress humans:
Darrell(Dec2006)
Jonas(April2008)
Katie(July2009)

Last edited by Cook; 06-13-2011 at 05:12 AM. Reason: my spelling mistake lol
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cook For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (06-14-2011), Domina (06-13-2011), dulce de leche (06-12-2011), gdzprncess (06-14-2011), greengirl19 (06-13-2011), Hermana Linda (06-13-2011), Tasmanian Saint (06-13-2011), Two Little Birds (06-12-2011), Virginia (06-14-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I actually liked this book--not as in but as in I didn't swear and throw it across the room It was fine . The biggest complaint I've heard is regarding the section speaking to single mothers about how to help their boys have good male figures. There is controversy over whether or not the things he addresses play a role in homosexuality but he makes the strong statement that they do--even still, I didn't find what he wrote as insulting as some have taken it. I, rather, read him saying as a single mother these are good and valuable things to make sure your son gets--and I agree with him on the things

I didn't find the typical Dobson punitive junk--it was really about relationship and acceptance and providing for boys to be boys.

Just re-read the OP and I would recommend another book (I've also heard good things about Raising Cain and I know there are a few other good boy books). If someone isn't already parenting with a gentle discipline approach I wouldn't think this would be a great book to suggest. If you are already rooted in gentle discipline I think it would be a neutral

Last edited by ArmsOfLove; 06-13-2011 at 10:59 PM.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
verbatim
Rosebud

verbatim is a glorious beacon of lightverbatim is a glorious beacon of lightverbatim is a glorious beacon of lightverbatim is a glorious beacon of lightverbatim is a glorious beacon of lightverbatim is a glorious beacon of light

I wholeheartedly recommend Raising Cain. It focuses on how we as a society and as parents deprive our sons of space to express their emotions and also the language/ability to express them. It's written by psychologists who have both research and clinical backgrounds, so the info is scientifically sound and compelling. It's an easy read, too.
jandjmommy (06-14-2011), MaybeGracie (06-14-2011), Peridot (06-18-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
Ms_Dahl
Rose Trellis

Ms_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard good things about Raising Cain myself! Another really good one, that I enjoyed, was Raising a Son by Jeanne Elium (here is the amazon link).
Ms_Dahl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms_Dahl For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (06-20-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light

Another vote for Raising Cain
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
purple_kangaroo
Rose Garden

purple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, everyone! I'll have to see if our library has those books. I don't have any boys, but do have nephews and friends with boys.

Seeking truth and understanding.

I have 4 precious children: A (born Feb 2001), M (June 2002), E (Aug 2005) and N (Dec 2013). AMEN!
purple_kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:41 AM   #13
Lily2584
Rose Garden

Apparently I'm mama to a ladybug & a platypus ;-)

Lily2584 has a reputation beyond reputeLily2584 has a reputation beyond reputeLily2584 has a reputation beyond reputeLily2584 has a reputation beyond reputeLily2584 has a reputation beyond reputeLily2584 has a reputation beyond reputeLily2584 has a reputation beyond reputeLily2584 has a reputation beyond reputeLily2584 has a reputation beyond reputeLily2584 has a reputation beyond reputeLily2584 has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite book for boys is: http://www.amazon.com/Preparing-Him-...8213424&sr=1-1

It is pretty much only about the mother/son relationship and even applauds single moms for raising great boys in spite of a lack of male influence. Quite often she says how moms are looked at as less important in the lives of their sons than a father, but the reality is they are as important, if not more, because they the first woman in their son's lives. She gives ideas of how to encourage your son to treat you with respect/compassion so that it will come naturally to treat his wife that way.

TBH I can't remember if there is any punitive stuff in there, but if there was it didn't stick out to me.

Married since August, 2001
Missing Lucas James 11/8/07

Mama to:
Andrew, super genius preschooler with imminent plans to take over the world (11/8/08)
Allison, my nursling and a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma (9/1/10)

Proudly standing with all the strong women at GCM fighting for health

Facebook me!

Chronicles of a Right-Brained Mama
Lily2584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
joyfuljourney
Rose Blossom

joyfuljourney will become famous soon enough

Raising Real Men by Melanie and Hal Young is good.
joyfuljourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #15
everydaygrace
Climbing Rose

everydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond repute

I don't trust myself to completely know the difference between bad and good in regards to child-rearing books yet, since I'm so new to gbd. So I personally will stay away from it for a while. I might eventually pick it up, because I am interested in books specific to raising boys.