Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
hey mommy
Rose Garden

I am so hopelessly in love..

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not showing any emotion on your face?

The church I go to is very much into Love & Logic(well, until the new parenting class came). Anyway, I listening to two moms talk last night & they were talking about how they have to remember to make their faces emotionless. So I asked why. Here is what I heard:

1. b/c you are supposed to be representing Jesus to your children. By remaining emotionless, you allow your words to have more impact.
2. B/c when kids look at you while you are talking to them, you want them to listen to your words. If you have a mad face and are saying "I Love you, you need to do such-and-such" then all that sinks in to them is a mad face.

I wasn't sure what to say after that. How do I respond to that? I'm not sure I agree with it.. Opinions?? I don't think Jesus had a stone faced expression all the time while he was talking....

Janice (ISFP), single-mommy to Cias(11) Samuel( 4) and 2 babies in heaven

Scully: You know, there is life on this planet.
Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Check out my NEW facebook page.
I am now a Plexus Ambassador.
hey mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not showing any emotion on your face?

That's really troubling. You should always be emotionally under control, but that doesn't mean emotionless.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

That's weird. I have listened to one Love & Logic CD and I did not care for it at all.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

I think by not showing emotion on your face, you're doing your child a great disservice. You're the safest place your dc has to learn about handling big feelings, and if they can never guess what's going on under the surface, you're teaching them very little by example. Robot parents are scary enigmas.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
Mama Rophe
Rose Garden

Mama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what I would say to that. I went to a class on L&L. There were a few things I picked up from it, but some of it just didn't sit right with me. I don't remeber them teaching emotionless though. I do know that when you are putting a child in "time out" you are supposed to say it in a sing songy tone. "Uh Oh. Someone needs some bedroom time. Come out when your sweet."
Old 02-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
hey mommy
Rose Garden

hey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond reputehey mommy has a reputation beyond repute

They may not have gotten it at L&L, I was just assuming since most of them do follow L&L.

Mulder: I've seen the life on this planet, Scully, that's why I'm looking elsewhere.

A

Old 02-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
StewardofLOs
Rose Trellis

"What if Your blessings come through raindrops? What if Your healing comes through tears?"

StewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant futureStewardofLOs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey mommy
If you have a mad face and are saying "I Love you, you need to do such-and-such" then all that sinks in to them is a mad face.
Yes, just like if you're hitting your child while telling them that you love them, all that sinks in to them is the hitting. :/

I agree that actions speak louder than words, but that doesn't mean we erase our actions so that they hear our words--it means that we need to make sure our actions are reflecting what we wish to say. If we want them to know we love them, then our actions should reflect it--*that's* how they "hear" our words.

married 12 yrs to DH
ENFP, T1
currently battling hemeralopia-induced blindness and chronic pain for the 3rd time

mama to five:
10.5yo DS (my serious T4)
8yo DD (my sparkly T1)
3.5yo DD (my precious T2)
one I will hold in heaven

StewardofLOs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
AugustMama
Climbing Rose

AugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to behold

I guess I always pictured Jesus as showing His emotions on His face. If I'm mad and I look mad I'll say to my kids "Mommy is feeling really mad right now but I still love you." I think having and emotionless face would just teach your children to stuff their emotions too.
my adorable dear son born 9/14/07
our second girl, our little joy born at home 1/28/11
AugustMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute

That's a bunch of poo. Children NEED you (the general you) to show expressions and emotions, It is how they learn social cues. Up to a certain age, a child will for instance hear a very loud fire truck pass. They will look at the parents face to see what the parent is feeling. Does my mom look scared, normal, excited, etc. It's how young children learn. They cannot be good friends to other children if they do not learn this social cueing. They cannot process anger, excitment, hurt, etc, if they cannot physically see those emotions on an adults face. It's a great way to raise distance, socially ackward people.

Remembering our babies: 12/98 9/99 12/09 1/17
Radosny Matka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
hey mommy
Rose Garden

Apparently it isn't all the time, just when disciplining the child.

A

Old 02-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Apparently it isn't all the time, just when disciplining the child.
I still stand by what I said above. Children need to see our emotions/expressions in all things, including discipline. It helps show children that adults are real. And, showing no emotion during discipline is going to cause so many issues down the road. They won't learn how to handle and learn from constructive criticism later in life. It is also going to squash the child's desire to please the parent. I know one of the most motivating things for me as child was seeing my parents disappointment.

Remembering our babies: 12/98 9/99 12/09 1/17
Radosny Matka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
shirelingmum
Rose Bouquet

"My lips will praise You!"

Location: Pacific Northwest (otherwise known as Middle Earth)
shirelingmum is a glorious beacon of lightshirelingmum is a glorious beacon of lightshirelingmum is a glorious beacon of lightshirelingmum is a glorious beacon of lightshirelingmum is a glorious beacon of lightshirelingmum is a glorious beacon of light

uhhh yeah L&L doesnt teach emotionless faces at all. weird. i know it does a great deal of actually saying that we need to emulate and give real empathy and cmpassion ad not be sarcastic or ungenuine about it. it is really positive. again....not the cure-all but in my extensive reading of L&L books it does a great deal of teaching the importance of compassion, empathy, and positive, non-punitive parenting.
shirelingmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
debf

Quote:
The church I go to is very much into Love & Logic(well, until the new parenting class came). Anyway, I listening to two moms talk last night & they were talking about how they have to remember to make their faces emotionless. So I asked why. Here is what I heard:

1. b/c you are supposed to be representing Jesus to your children. By remaining emotionless, you allow your words to have more impact.
2. B/c when kids look at you while you are talking to them, you want them to listen to your words. If you have a mad face and are saying "I Love you, you need to do such-and-such" then all that sinks in to them is a mad face.

I wasn't sure what to say after that. How do I respond to that? I'm not sure I agree with it.. Opinions?? I don't think Jesus had a stone faced expression all the time while he was talking....
Can you ask them their basis in the Bible that Jesus didn't show emotions?

I try to be calm when my children do something wrong but that is a far cry from being emotionless. This just sounds weird.

My second thought is that children reared in such an enviroment will have some serious issues about their own emotions.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by debf
Haven't you seen his pictures? He's got at best a slight smile.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #15
debf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by debf
Haven't you seen his pictures? He's got at best a slight smile.