Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:48 PM   #1
LadybugSam
Deactivated

ladybug, ladybug fly away home

LadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default So upset, worst weekend ever

OK so i'm a part of MOPS in my area. I'm the childcare cordinater (MOPPETS). Well about a month or two ago this new girl named April joined. I didn't get to talk to her at all but i wanted to because she brought her baby in a sling and she was breastfeeding (which you NEVER EVER see in my area) Well she had to leave early for a dr's appointment for her daughter (who is 6 months old and one of the cutest things EVER but i love kids so i think just about every baby is cute) She said that she was worried about her because she spits up <i>all the time</i>. Well I gave her some comforting words (afterall caleb did the same thing when he was little) and told her that i'm sure everything will be fine. Well our next leadership meeting is 2 weeks later (this last tuesday) and she tells us that her daughter little "A" had actually LOST WEIGHT between her 3 month and 6 month appointments. Which is one of the scariest thing i've ever heard. They did a bunch of tests on her and can't figure out what it is, she has reflux but its not bad enough to warrent a loss of weight. Slow gain maybe, but not losing weight. i felt so bad for her, she said that she wishes that they could just pinpoint the problem so that they can do a surgery and just fix it I felt really bad for both little "A" and her mother.

Well Yesterday was the MOPS Retreat. I was looking forward to going but at the last minute i kept getting really anxious. Caleb broke out in hives, and i was just generally feeling nervous about going, but dh told me that i would have a great time and i decided to go. I WAY overpacked, LOL (but oddly enough, didn't bring enough diapers) Well i thought that Caleb would be the only baby there, figuring that i'm the only overprotective mommy there, LOL. But i was very happy to see that April was coming and was bringing her daughter "A" along with her Yay, i'm not obsessive!

Well it was a long way up, i was in the middle of the back seat, feeling pretty nausous on our trip to Hunington Lake (beautiful pine forest, middle of nowhere). Poor "A" was crying. April had just waken her up from her nap (this was 3:30) and plus, we were riding up into the mountains, and we were thinking that the altitude was bothering her ears poor baby. Her Mama kept trying to give her a bottle of water but she was breastfed and didn't take the bottle. Well we had turned off from the highway and were headed to the cabin (not really a cabin more like a HUGE luxury mountain home) and April decided to take little "A" out of her carseat and hold her. Alarm bells were ringing off in my head but i thought, she knew that were were almost there (we were like 300 feet away as it turned out) and it must have been hard on her to hear her tiny daughter crying for that long.

Well we get there like 10 seconds later, and we unpack and we get diner ready (a wonderfull salad, i have to get the recipe) and we start eating. April breastfeeds little "A" as soon as we get there and she seems to calm down a lot. Poor baby Well Caleb keeps trying to climb the stairs VERY persistantly, and we try to find things to block him from going up. Well i ask April if i could use her pack n' play to block the stairs and she says that she was about to put Little "A" to bed soon, so i told her nevermind, because i didn't want to cause her any trouble, and we kept looking (NEVER found anything to detour my persistant little booger, LOL)

well we eat diner and its around 6:30 and she says that she's going to put Little "A" to bed. I was like, "Wow, you put her to bed early! How early does she wake up?" and she told me that usually she has to wake her up around 8am. I couldnt' beleive it! Her daughter slept for 14 hours in a row? Then i told her "see ya later" or something like that and she said, "no, i'll be right down, she can get to sleep on her own" I was very much impressed, i couldnt' beleive she got a little girl who was such a good sleeper. WEll she takes her dd up there and we settle in to start in on the business of the night. Well I hear Little "A" start to cry and i see April heading downstairs. I expect her to head back upstairs but she just keeps heading down. She sits down on the other couch and says something offhand like "she'll settle herself down" which is like plucking at all the nerves in my body, but i know that other people parent different ways and some people beleive that babies "need" a few minutes to settle themselves. Thats not what i beleive AT ALL but i know that some children (not my son, LOL) do fall asleep after crying just enough to let her mom know that she's mad that she got put down and then fall asleep. Well, she doesn't. She just keeps crying and crying, and screaming upstairs all alone, in strange place, in a weird bed, all alone. Someone says something like "how long does she usually do this" and she changes the subject saying "she's just mad that i left, she's such a needy baby, i can't do anything without her!" and said that she usually settles herself down without any assistance, usually cuddles her lovey and knocks out "after a while" then she looks over and sees her dd's lovey sitting on the counter over in the kitchen. She had put her alone in there without even her lovey! and then says something like, "i don't want to take it up there because it'll interupt her" or something else equally ridiculous.

This is just breaking my heart. Unfortunatly i can't get the courage to say anything. Her daughter, who suffers from reflux, screams up there, all alone, or 45 minutes and then falls asleep. This is around 7pm (3 1/2 hrs after she woke from her afternoon nap, btw)

She says that she always has her children go to bed at a certain time and that they're "not allowed" to get up. she says that schedules are very important to her family (at the word schedules, my spine tingled again) When i hear the word schedule i automatically think <a href="http://www.ezzo.info">babywise</a>

well we get to talking through the night and we start talking about spending time with your friends, and she says that she rarely has the opertunity to get out with her friends because of the baby, and how her duaghter will only sleep in her crib (which she didn't bring with her btw) and how she never is able to get away with her husband because her daughter won't take a bottle etc. and one of the mentor mom's started telling a story about one time she left her dd with her mom and when she got back 4 hours later her mom had just put her to sleep and her daughter was still sobbing in her sleep and she laughed so hard that it woke up her dd (sooooo horrible!!!!!!) and then April speaks up and says, isn't it cute (?!?!?) Little "A" does that for like 2 hours sometimes Thats so horrible! How can that be cute, and how upset could that TINY baby be that she would cry for 2 hours after she exausted herself to sleep. She says that she doesn't understand why her dd has such attachment issues, but she said its probably because she uses a sling with her and she never used it with her oldest, and thats why they're so different. @@

well thats the extend of what happened friday night, it upset me a lot but i was able to sleep. I led by example. I stayed with my son until he went to sleep (in my arms) and when he woke up alone and upset i tried to settle him, and then we went to bed together.

Well the next day i (amazingly) wake up at a decent hour. 7:30 to be exact (quite proud of myself). Caleb i still i bed and i settle down and make a fruit cup for caleb when he wakes up. I discovered that when i give Caleb sweets when he first wakes up he doesn't wake up so cranky. I think he might have blood sugar regulation problems or something. bread works as well, but not as fast as fruit or juice, and he doesn't eat as much. Well anyway, i get that ready and one of the ladies asks if i would like to join them for a walk. I think about it and agree and i get dressed and i get caleb's socks and shoes on while he's asleep and i put my sling over my shoulder. April goes upstairs to get Little "A" and i hear crying for about 5 minutes and they finally come down, all dressed and ready and she breastfeeds her as we wait another 5 minutes for everyone to get ready. Little "A" seems happy to be with her mommy. Its finally time to go and i slip sleepy caleb into my sling and we head outside for a nice walk around the neiborhood.

We saw a deer! it was like 150 feed away and it walked across the road in front of us. April and the other leader walked WAY ahead of me and one of the mentor moms (not the one who told the story about her dd crying in her sleep) and we talk a bit abotu how beautiful it is and how neither one of us would ever be able to afford one of these houses, LOL. We walked by these people packing up to head to the lake aparantly and we walked a little past and there was a loud bang behind us, and out of nowhere caleb yells something that sounds exactly like "oh God!" I hope he didn't say what i thought he did, LOL. I've really got to watch what i say around him *blush*

we get back and we all eat breakfast, April feeds her dd, some rice cereal, and then we clean up everything. and then April says that she's going to put Little "A" down for her nap. (? she just got her up 2 1/2 hours before!!!!)

well when she gets back we're all sitting around the table and all the other ladies says something like "wow is she asleep already?" and April says "yeah she usually goes down for two 2 1/2 hour naps during the day" and i did the math 14 hours of sleep a night, 5 hours worth of naps a day, that baby is only awake for 5 hours a day! Then April says some of the most scariest words in the english language. "its all about schedules, you should really read babywise."

So that explains everything, the weight loss, the crying to sleep, the attachment issues, the constant complaining about how there must be something wrong with her child. All there. Her story sounds like one of those horror stories you read about at http://www.ezzo.info Those stories that are the worst case scenerio and that you don't think that EVERY person who says they follow babywise could do, that most people follow it within reason, and that no "REAL" person would ever go to that extreem.

But there she was, that lady that i really wanted to get to know, turned out to be "one of those people" you hear about that nobody beleives. That even the Ezzo followers say are too extreme, and that they would never do THAT!

And so i'm just in shock at this moment, i can't beleive that she's doing this to her daughter! Of coarse she's losing weight, she won't feed her more than 4-5 times a day! Of coarse she has attachment issues, most of the time she spends away from her mom, and everytime her mom leaves her, she's shut up alone in her room. No wonder her mom doesn't know when she wakes up, her daughter knows better than to call for her mother, she's learned that her mother won't come.

so as we pack our stuff up to leave, the scariest thing happened to Caleb! I was in my room packing my stuff and he was RIGHT BEHIND ME! or at least i thought he was, well i look out the window and he's right on the patio right next to the STEEP stairs that go down 1 1/2 stories down to the concrete below, and i scream "Oh God" (hmmm, i wonder where caleb got that from...) and i run as fast as i can to go get him and i grab him before he wanders his way into danger That scared me so bad, i didn't want to put him down. I ended up shutting the door to the room while i was in there and he wasn't too happy about that but he was safe. I also left him in there while i cleaned the bathroom he yelled at me through the door (but didn't sound upset and he didn't cry) but i got things done and put him in the sling and brought my stuff down.

so everything's packed in the car, and i'm stuck in the middle of the backseat, AGAIN. Carsick again, but worse this time. Now i get to hear about how wonderful babywise is all the way home. April is actually talking OVER her daughter's screaming. Poor Little "A" cries most of the way home, APril does try to give her a bottle of water but she won't take it. Caleb sleeps the whole way down (thanks to the benadryl i gave him for his hives) The lady in the front seat (pastor's wife at the church that charters our MOPS group) starts talking abotu how BW wasn't enough for her. she didn't know what to do when her dc was awake, so she reccomended the book "My first 1000 babies" which i've heard was worse than Ezzo

April also starts talking about how her DD is suckign her thumb and says that both her kids do it, but her older son is only allowed to do it when he has his blanket now. She says how much he loves his blanket. How its become its own entity and how he introduces it to people. He calls it White blanket. One of its ends is really tattered and is black because he likes to stick it up his nose. This little part is called The Thing. and she was saying how much he loved it and asked the rest of us if our kids had things like that. Because i was in the backseat i was able to keep my mouth shut. "My son forms his attachments to people, not objects" I wish i had the guts to say that. but i couldn't. I was strugglign not to puke (wondering if it really was CAR sickness and not just emotional sickness).

we get back to town after a botu an hour and a half and her daughter is still crying. So once again she takes her out of the car seat. she's like 5 blocks from her house. She gets out to allow another mom to leave and then we get back in and go to another mom's house. she keeps her dd in her arms. She doesn't even put a seatbelt on (not like that would be any better though!) and we drive the rest of the way to her house. Now its just me and Caleb and the other mom and we get home and she helps me with my TONS of stuff and i hug my dh (i missed him so very very VERY much) and i just layed down on our bed while caleb snuggled with Dada. then i called dh in there with me and caleb nurses to sleep again and i tell him about my horrible experience and he tells me how horrible it is and how sad he feels for that baby. Then he asks me if anybody else seemed bothered by this. I realized that, no, nobody had seemed bothered by this at all. Which upset me even more.

I don't think i want to be a part of this MOPS group anymore I'm just so very upset right now
LadybugSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So upset, worst weekend ever

That's horrible.

I think taking a break, at least, is a good idea. FWIW, I have a standing rule that no one leaves a baby to cry when I'm around. If nothing else, it triggers my letdown.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking as a mom whos DD was FTT that just makes me so I'm shocked sh's actually able to BF after 6 months of that dumb schedule.
Though I will say, till my DD dropped her "second" nap around 2 years she too went down a few hours after getting up She used to wake around 6:30 am with DH and would go down for a nap around 9am nap till about 11ish then go down again about 3pmish
Deanna
Old 08-13-2005, 11:05 PM   #4
LadybugSam
Deactivated

ladybug, ladybug fly away home

LadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond repute

Posted that from my journal, what i wanted was prayer. Prayer for this mama and her baby, and prayer for me, that i do the right thing, that i say the right thing, pray for healing in their relationship.

What do you think i should do about MOPS? Should i/how should i talk to her abotu this? How do i give her info without her feeling like i'm condeming her?
LadybugSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:37 AM   #5
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

I will pray. As hard as it might be, maybe you were meant to cross paths. If she is willing to use a sling then maybe that is the icebreaker to start with - all the "pros" to babywearing and then go into - "you know who has a lot to say about slings? Dr. Sears I just LOVE his books...."

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:21 AM   #6
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

That would upset me very much. I wonder if her doctor is aware of the schedule, the amount the baby is sleeping (or put in isolation for sleeping) and the amount of crying this baby does. Is the baby on target developmentally?
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:59 AM   #7
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute

How awful! Poor little A! I will pray for them and guidance for you!
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:18 AM   #8
TulipMama
Deactivated

TulipMama is on a distinguished road

I am tense and upset reading that.

The first thing that was addressed when my son lost weight between his 3 and 6 month visits was keeping track of caloric intake. That was before ANY testing. And, praise God, my son's FTT was as simple as insufficient calories b/c of scheduled nursing.

I will be praying for you, for that mama, for her little baby.
TulipMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:39 AM   #9
Reva
Rose Trellis

Reva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond repute

I'm praying for that little baby. How very sad.
Forever missing my sweet R (HLHS) and the baby we never got to meet.
Reva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:58 AM   #10
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:21 PM   #11
Chris3jam

Oh, no! Oh, no! Oh, no!

Quote:
"My first 1000 babies" which i've heard was worse than Ezzo
It's called, "My First 300 Babies" by Gladys West Hendrick. She was a "nanny". Here, let me give you an idea, OK? Brace yourself --

Quote:
Before starting to nurse, place a diaper around the neck of the baby, then sponge off the breast with a piece of moist cotton or use the washcloth to establish the nipple. Keep in mind this most important principle: no nursing should be longer than 30 minutes, and at first only about fifteen [this emphasis is hers]. Later on, twenty minutes is a good average. . . . . . . . this includes time out for bubbling, and giving the complementary feeding.
It's ALL about strict scheduling, ala 1950's and 60's, starting the first day home. It's all about, "when the child is ___ years old, then the child must be doing ______." It's all about controlling children, keeping peace in the home, making sure that momma can keep up her housework and care of daddy ("King of the Castle"), etc. Children shouldn't eat more that 3 times a day. Etc., etc., etc.

It's Ezzo on steroids.

To me, it borders on abusive.

(BTW, I did not buy this book. . . it was given to me by one of our church members when I was pg with J).

Old 08-14-2005, 01:48 PM   #12
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I was told if you had to nurse more than 20 mintues a side their was probably something wrong with your milk and that you might havve to sumplement. This was told in our birthing class that was sosposed to be pro breastfeeding.

Deanna
Old 08-14-2005, 04:53 PM   #13
Boys and Angels

Wow. When I was nurturing my infants, I had never heard of Ezzo, never heard of "attachment parenting," never heard of any of the controversies, buyt if I had to spend a weekend with a woman who treated her baby that way, I might have lost it myself! How on earth did you NOT say anything? That sobbing crying baby all weekend would have KILLED my nerves. You are a [b]lot [/b] nicer than I think I could have been. At the very least I would have asked if she thought her baby was happy all the time if she was always crying. I love (NOT) when these parents anwer "It's not about them being happy, it's about routines." Yeesh.

And yes, who said that "My First 300 Babies" is like Ezzo on steroids? That is the PERFECT description!
Old 08-14-2005, 05:40 PM   #14
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

It's one thing to read about this kind of thing, it's another to be living with it and watching the reality of it all. Will pray.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:00 PM   #15
Sanveann

Praying!!!

Do you know any other mamas who might know this lady well enough to speak to her? Do you know her DH? Or do you know the name of her doctor? You could maybe even pretend you were looking for a new peditrician, and ask who hers is. Then call up and tell them what is going on. Maybe if she hears it from her doctor that her child needs more food, she will listen.