Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 05-15-2005, 02:29 PM   #31
sadie
Deactivated

sadie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Former Pearl followers?

Hey, gay "perverts" also own homes and drive cars. I guess all us good Christians should stop doing that too.
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:35 PM   #32
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

Dang! My gay cousin breathes too! Well, I wanna be a *good Christian* so here goes....

Where's the turning blue smilie?

I believe in being separate in that there are places I won't go...you won't see me hanging out in the bar on the weekends with my friends who like to party. But I don't believe God requires seclusion and exclusion!

And if the day ever came when getting a marriage license meant signing an affirmation that I believed marriage to be anything other than a "one man- one-woman" union, I could see the argument for not getting one. But for him to advocate that because SanFran let gays get married, I should divorce my dh and just live with him? There aren't words enough in my vocabulary to describe how dumb that is
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:51 PM   #33
Sanveann

I agree. Besides, not being married in the eyes of the law could open you up to a lot of problems ... what if my DH were in an accident? I would have no legal right to authorize surgery! Or if he died without a will, I would not inherit any assets that were in his name.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:00 PM   #34
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it would not be out of line for me to mention that I kind of need testimonies from former Pearl followers for my website (which is in my sig.) I hate to keep asking, but many people send Pearl followers and potential Pearl followers to my site and I'd like a more impressive bunch of testimonies for them to read. I kind of feel that they must think, "It looks like nobody is ever unhappy enough with Pearl's to give them up."

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:12 PM   #35
sadie
Deactivated

sadie is on a distinguished road

Funny you mentioned that, Linda. It's one of the secret reasons I asked.
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:56 PM   #36
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimumtomykidz
We were given a copy of TTUAC when DD1 was born. Sadly to say we did buy into some of it Our first two children were reared rather punitively for the first 2 and 3 years respectively but praise God we've been able to mend the relationship with years of AP and PD
I still remember you emailing me, Sarah, and talking with you and your dh. I thought you were both so neat and I'm so glad you're still in my life

I am, however, offended that MP feels qualified to tell me what a good and faithful Christian will someday do. So when I don't do that I guess I can imagine what he will think of me
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:49 PM   #37
chelsea
Rose Garden

chelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of light

I read TTUAC and (among many other reasons ) didn't like how he condoned consistently setting up your children for failure. The whole book is basically one incident after another of it, and should be called "To Provoke a Child To Wrath"!
Old 05-17-2005, 05:00 AM   #38
DebraBaker

Exactly, Chelsea.

First, I cannot imagine having such a consistantly negative impression of my child.

Second (and most important) why does he teach parents to violate Scripture (not to provoke a child to wrath) in order to accomplish a goal that is not clearly written in the Bible (absolute obedience and absolute authority with swift punishment)??

Not only does it clearly violate this mandate it violates many related principles that are supposed to characterize Chritianity itself. (Christianity's character being defined as Christ-like)

Whenever I've brought this up to Pearl followers they don't have a response except that I'm being nasty somehow. (I guess because what I'm suggeting following Michael Pearl's teaching implies in their lives, gulp)

Just makes me deeply sad and frustrates the stuffing out of me.

Debra Baker
Old 05-17-2005, 07:14 AM   #39
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensmom
Dang! My gay cousin breathes too! Well, I wanna be a *good Christian* so here goes....

Where's the turning blue smilie?

[clip]
I believe in being separate in that there are places I won't go...you won't see me hanging out in the bar on the weekends with my friends who like to party. But I don't believe God requires seclusion and exclusion!
Exactly. We are not "of this world," but we have been called to live "in this world" and, in our comings and goings, spread the Good News of Jesus. Jesus associated Himself with social outcasts of the Jewish community and ate with them. If people living with the burden of homosexuality don't see/experience the love of Jesus from us, how will they ever know that Jesus loves them? By reading bumper stickers and billboards? I doubt it . . .
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #40
chelsea
Rose Garden

chelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of light

In addition to provoking your children to wrath, setting them up for failure is much worse than that. In the Bible, the times I've read of someone being "set up to fail"...it was never God who was setting them up. It was another "individual" that I won't mention. Take for example Job, or Jesus in the wilderness...God was never the one doing the "setting up". I just don't understand how this can be thought of as something God would want us to do to our children! Whose example are we actually following if we practice those kind of teachings?!