Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
April G
Deactivated

April G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond repute
Default A good substitute for vinegar and citrus?

I can't have vinegar or citrus for 8 months, and I really want to make a homemade ketchup... any ideas for what would give it a little zing?

I'm going to replace the sugar in the ketchup recipe with agave nectar...

Is white wine sugar free? I can have fruit juice...

Would pineapple juice work (it's not a citrus fruit, right?)?
April G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A good substitute for vinegar and citrus?

No idea, but

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

Wine might work... Otherwise a sour fruit juice - what about cranberry? There are some herbs that are sour - maybe one of those would work. Also, if you make sourdough bread starter, it ferments a liquid that is very sour.

Going without vinegar is hard!

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
April G
Deactivated

April G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond repute

I have a cranberry pomegranate juice that is a bit tart... That might actually work...
Old 08-15-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

Did you know you can make your own vinegar from fruit juices? Will that help you?

Old 08-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
Zipporah
Deactivated

Formerly NightingaleQueenofCrocs

Zipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud of

Ume-boshi paste
Zipporah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
April G
Deactivated

No, I didn't know you could make vinegars from fruit juice, but I'm doing a candida cleanse, and that might defeat the purpose of no vinegars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightingaleQueenofCrocs View Post
Ume-boshi paste
Please explain? I've never heard of it... Would it interfere with a candida cleanse, do you think?
Old 08-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
Zipporah
Deactivated

Formerly NightingaleQueenofCrocs

Zipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud ofZipporah has much to be proud of

It's a salted Japanese plum (sounds bizarre but tastes good). Apparently some of the standard brands have a lower salt content and need preservatives to stay good so I think they'd definately be out. I have an organic one which has only salt and ume-boshi-spendy but you only use a tiny bit.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umeboshi

It's recommeded on the few candida websites I've checked
Zipporah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:14 AM   #9
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

If you're doing a candida cleanse, I'm surprised you're allowed to have fruit juice at all since it's so high in sugars. Also, no wine, since it's fermented too. Oh, and the sourdough bread is no good, since that's yeasty too.

Try googling "sour herbs" and see where that gets you.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

One sour herb I know of is sorel.

My first thought was to use ginger to give it a zing. Maybe just cooking tomatoes with onions and ginger then a splash of Braggs to taste would work. A little cayenne and sea salt to taste.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
April G
Deactivated

I like that idea...

So now I'm trying to come up with a good tahini dressing recipe... here's what I have so far (after reading a gazillion recipes that ALL call for lemon or vinegar. )

1/2 c tahini
2 t tamari
garlic (I like a lot... )
2 T coconut oil
1/2 cup water (or maybe juice? Not sure here...)
1/4 cup coconut milk (instead of lemon juice... )
1 t agave nectar
salt and pepper

What do you think? I am out of coconut milk or I'd whip some up right now... anyone want to try for me?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by organiquegal View Post
I like that idea...

So now I'm trying to come up with a good tahini dressing recipe... here's what I have so far (after reading a gazillion recipes that ALL call for lemon or vinegar. )

1/2 c tahini
2 t tamari
garlic (I like a lot... )
2 T coconut oil
1/2 cup water (or maybe juice? Not sure here...)
1/4 cup coconut milk (instead of lemon juice... )
1 t agave nectar
salt and pepper

What do you think? I am out of coconut milk or I'd whip some up right now... anyone want to try for me?
I thought you couldn't have soy? Tamari is soy & wheat.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #13
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute

I guess leaving apple peals in water to ferment would go against the no vinegar rule? It would take a long time for it to get that sour flavor though.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Beauty4Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
April G
Deactivated

She said wheat free tamari is okay to have... I guess my body digests it in the fermented form fine... it's mostly to do with not having digestive enzymes that I'm not to have soy or wheat... not to do with the candida element.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #15
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

ncsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any ideas...but I do want to tell you that I think you are super brave for embarking on this journey! I'll be reading with interest.
ncsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote