Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:18 PM   #16
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charlotte Mason Principles Discssion Thread

That was beautifully put forty-two. Gave me a lot to think about. I'm going to think it over and I'll come back later for more discussion.

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
forty-two (03-30-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 12:19 PM   #17
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I love Charlotte Mason.

I haven't stayed true to the practical application as much in the high school years, but I try to retain the wonderful philosophies and let them soften the rough edges of a more curriculum-driven schedule.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:59 AM   #18
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

*Sorry I haven't kept this up well. I've been working on getting our schedule set up and starting to implement it.

Charlotte Mason's Principle #2:
Original Text:
They are not born either good or bad, but with possibilities for good and for evil.

Modern Paraphrase:
Although children are born with a sin nature, they are neither all bad, nor all good. Children from all walks of life and backgrounds may make choices for good or evil.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

Old 04-20-2018, 05:30 AM   #19
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

OnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond repute

In the context in which she lived, I believe CM was pushing back strongly against two big ideas of her time: the idea that children are a blank slate, and the idea that only children from wealthy families are capable of being educated or worthy of educating. Thus, the idea that “children are persons” and now the idea that they are born sinful, are capable of both good and bad deeds (as are we all), and that this idea is true for children from all walks of life. In other words, she wanted *all children* to have an opportunity to have a broad education, not just those from wealthy families.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OnAMission For This Useful Post:
Peaceful Meadows (05-06-2018), SewingGreenMama (04-26-2018), Singingmom (04-23-2018), Soliloquy (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 05:31 AM   #20
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

This one seems completely obvious to me. Of course and child can choose to do good or bad, and every child will choose both at times.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:27 PM   #21
Findingjoy
Newly Planted

Findingjoy is a jewel in the roughFindingjoy is a jewel in the roughFindingjoy is a jewel in the roughFindingjoy is a jewel in the rough

I would love to be part of this discussion! I have been following Charlotte masoms principles, and using ambleside online for the past 4 years. It has really blessed our family, and made me see education in a whole new light.

The second principle I believe was a reflection of her time, where only some people were seen worthy, if you were wealthy, or of a higher position in society you were seen as superior to those of the lower class. Charlotte mason wasn't born much later then George Muller started his first orphanhes for the poor children on the streets that were treated like they were worthless. A really sad time for the way people viewed children. It makes sense that this was a big issue and one of her principles while it sounds so common sense to us, it wasn't to many of that time. It was a big deal to say that poor children could do as well as those of more prominent families.
Findingjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Findingjoy For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-21-2018), Peaceful Meadows (05-06-2018), SewingGreenMama (04-26-2018), Singingmom (04-23-2018), Soliloquy (04-20-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #22
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findingjoy View Post
I would love to be part of this discussion! I have been following Charlotte masoms principles, and using ambleside online for the past 4 years. It has really blessed our family, and made me see education in a whole new light.

The second principle I believe was a reflection of her time, where only some people were seen worthy, if you were wealthy, or of a higher position in society you were seen as superior to those of the lower class. Charlotte mason wasn't born much later then George Muller started his first orphanhes for the poor children on the streets that were treated like they were worthless. A really sad time for the way people viewed children. It makes sense that this was a big issue and one of her principles while it sounds so common sense to us, it wasn't to many of that time. It was a big deal to say that poor children could do as well as those of more prominent families.
I agree this was a product of her time.
Children we're also seen as the embodiment of their fathers sin, destined to repeat their father's/mother's sin.
If the father was a rapist he was merely a rapist-to-be.
If his father was a worthless drunk he was destined to be just as worthless in his adulthood.
If her mother was morally loose ... ie sexually permiscuous ... Then she wouldn't stay faithful to her husband and was usually overlooked as a potential wife, often left no choice but prostitution/mistress to survive.
But these children, given the chance, and especially the education, are capable of making their own choices for good and for evil separate from their parents sin.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

As for how this applies to today.
Perhaps it is pertinent to the idea toted today that children are born pure and are at heart and nature good?

Old 04-27-2018, 05:23 AM   #23
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewingGreenMama View Post
As for how this applies to today.
Perhaps it is pertinent to the idea toted today that children are born pure and are at heart and nature good?

Yes I think this principal does speak to how a child is capable of making bad choices. No everything a child desires is good and worthy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
forty-two (04-27-2018), OnAMission (04-27-2018), SewingGreenMama (04-29-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 11:27 PM   #24
greendelight
Rose Trellis

greendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant future

greendelight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greendelight For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 07:57 AM   #25
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Today children are taught that their bad choices don't come from within, they are inherently good, so their bad decision must have come from outside influence.
Friends? Media? Video Games? Bad parents? Crazy teacher?
So they don't need to change their heart and mind, they need to change the people around them. If they only allow uncorrupted people around them they will only make good choices.
This is such a dangerous teaching.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #26
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Charlotte Mason's 3rd Principle.

Original:
The principles of authority on the one hand, and of obedience on the other, are natural, necessary and fundamental, but--

Modern Paraphrase:
The concepts of authority and obedience are true for all people whether they accept it or not. Submission to Authority is necessary for any society or group or family to run smoothly.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:43 AM   #27
knitlove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewingGreenMama View Post
Charlotte Mason's 3rd Principle.

Original:
The principles of authority on the one hand, and of obedience on the other, are natural, necessary and fundamental, but--

Modern Paraphrase:
The concepts of authority and obedience are true for all people whether they accept it or not. Submission to Authority is necessary for any society or group or family to run smoothly.

This is the one that I feel like I have completely lost in my house. I have been consistent I have had the same standards for years and still every day we have the same battle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #28
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
This is the one that I feel like I have completely lost in my house. I have been consistent I have had the same standards for years and still every day we have the same battle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote