Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm tired of cleaning up poop!

My lab is 14. She had a problem a couple months ago of pooping in the house and I started locking her in the bathroom when we were gone. I changed her food from Taste of the Wild (grain free) to Canidae and now Diamond (with grain) and she has done much better! I now just put her in a bedroom when we are gone, mostly precautionary.

Well, last night I took her out a bit early, 9pm instead of 10 or 11. And she did not poop. I should have taken her out again! Because I woke to poop! aaarrrgghhh

I say it's time. But it's not really. She loves to eat and loves to fetch still. She does have bad arthritis in her back legs, she's on pain meds for that and glucosamine and fish oil.

Would I be a horrible person if I "put her down" before it was "time" (as in , can't get up and losing bladder/bowel control"? Yes, I think so.

She probably tried to wake me up.

I'm typing this because I am frustrated and I know it's not "time" but YUCK!! My Little Green needs more soap so might go rent a Rug Doctor today.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10

Last edited by kiloyd; 04-13-2012 at 05:50 AM.
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
Apple-Saucy
Deactivated

Apple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm tired of cleaning up poop!

Why would you wait until she was in so much pain that her life was reduced to laying around whining unable to do even the most basic doggy things?

She's 14 (which is OLD for a lab most labs are expected to live and average of 12yrs), she has arthritis, she is unable to communicate/control her potty needs.

I am personally on the side of "put them down before they are in misery"

Last edited by Apple-Saucy; 04-13-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Apple-Saucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so I would not be horrible.

My Golden lived to be 14 and 9 mo. That is old.

I've always said that it is time when they stop eating or can't get up. She is happy and still runs around to fetch, not as much as before, but she loves to fetch.

This is half my fault because I didn't take her out again.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for kiloyd:
Apple-Saucy (04-13-2012), Johns_Gal (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
Apple-Saucy
Deactivated

Apple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond reputeApple-Saucy has a reputation beyond repute

Labs are notorious eaters. They live to eat. So I wouldn't base your decision on that at all. (my bff is a vet...she has seen labs with a twisted stomach (extreme pain) that required surgery that were still trying to eat!)

Have you considered that perhaps she wasn't able to wake you because she wasn't able to GET to you to wake you?
Apple-Saucy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apple-Saucy For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

I understand. I am of the "better a day early than a day late" crowd, but that is stinking hard to stick to when it's your own pet.

For me though, I've only put down the actively ill. The cancer riddled ferret, the cat with renal failure, or the kitten with FIP. When I let those go too long, the end was horrific and I wish I'd taken them in a day before rather than have them feel that terror and pain . I've never had to help an elderly pet pass on.

I do think we owe them dignity and as much time as we can. For now, I would stay put her in the bathroom when you leave (they have super nice beds for arthritic, older pets now... I'd spring for a cushy one). Keep a journal of how she does each day so you'll be more likely to notice a pettern of change or decline. If it won't distress her, I would take her food and water up after a certain time each night.

You might also consider giving her a puppy pad in the bathroom. If she's always been housetrained, she's probably so upset when she can't help it. I've had a dog left too long between bathroom breaks go in the house and oh, the shame on her little beagle face. They don't want to go inside either. Course, if it's that she's unaware she needs to go that's different, but it sounds more like she just cannot hold it like a younger dog can.
kiloyd (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in a similar position with my 15.25 y/o mutt. Interested in the discussion.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Her way of getting me up is to nudge me, or pant loudly when she is desperate. I sleep in the middle of our king size bed so she can't nudge me. Several weeks ago I did hear her panting in the middle of the night and took her out. I am a sound sleeper though so if she did last night I did not hear her.

She is amazing at holding it, goes 10-12 hours at night, usually.

That is interesting about the eating thing. I will have to keep that in mind. My Golden stopped eating and was wasting away, that was awful! She was my first child.

She has a cushy bed in our room and a folded comforter in the living room.

She has done really well since we moved here, it's warmer and the house is all carpeted (she slipped on laminate) and it's all one level, one small step to go in and out.

I am so hard and knowing when it's time. I've been saying that when she stops eating, or loses bowel/bladder control, or can't get up.

If I had just taken her out again last night!!!
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 04-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

You know what, I wonder if belling her is out of the question if this becomes a recurring problem? A jingling bell caused by her walking beside the bed would probably penetrate the sleep fog enough for you to notice and run her out. Unless she moves around at night alot... then you'd just be annoyed.

I taught a pup to ring a bell hanging from the door, but I doubt an arthritic old dog is going to be interested in learning that.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

me too x 4 with our puppies.......

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

MamaCat, once upon a time, I had three young male puppies, NOT by choice. All would grow up to be labrador sized, and I was trying to housebreak them. You have my utmost sympathies.

You wanna spin off and we can troubleshoot that?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
kiloyd
Rose Garden

My first dog was taught to bark. For the most part it was great! Only bad when I was in bed in the morning and didn't want to get up. bark pause bark pause bark pause, okay okay, I'm coming!

The bell idea is a good one but dh would hate it.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute

My lab mix is 13+ years and has cancer. In the past few months she has started having occasional accidents in the house during the night. For me, it is not enough of a reason to euthanize her. I fully understand the frustration though. I have recently realized that where she would once go out and do her business without me, she now needs me to stay there with her. We have had to change our routines to make sure we stay out on our back porch the whole time she is going potty so she actually finishes and doesn't stop when we walk away.
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amber For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
kiloyd
Rose Garden

We don't have a fenced yard so I do walk out with her. I walked up and down the side of the yard where I take her last night, I guess she just did not need to go at 9pm. I am kicking myself for not taking her out again at 11pm. Oh, well, live and learn.

She's laying near me now.

I rented A RugDoctor and the living room is clean now. Taking a break before I do my room and the hallway.

I know it is not time yet. She gets half a tablet of Previcox for any arthritis pain, every other day. I really don't notice a difference either way. But feel better knowing she's on something since we know she has some level of chronic pain in her back legs. People with arthritis have told me.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 04-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
mrsd
Rose Trellis

mrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond repute

You actually can buy doggie diapers. Maybe that would help.
mrsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
You actually can buy doggie diapers. Maybe that would help.
hhmmm

I rented the RugDoctor and the whole house is clean now. Okay, except for two spots that still smell a bit like poop when I put my nose down. I'll jsut get more carpet shampoo and use my Little Green later on those two spots. I went over them several times.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10