Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #16
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What size comes after girl's 16?

I also want to say we accidentally found some boys' jeans that fit dd well. I think the only reason that dd accepted them is because someone had put them in the women's section by accident. But she tried them on and they were great. We didn't realize they were boys' until we went to buy them. They went by waist measurement instead of a size.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (03-13-2017), Quiteria (03-13-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 09:29 PM   #17
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaKristin View Post
It's ridiculously hard to dress that pre-teen/early teen age girl (and boy).
My girls moved from 16 into women's sizes. Pretty much size 2-4/xs/s depending on fit at old navy, but one needs tall length pants, which don't start until size 8. sigh.
They have to try on everything. Which they hate.

If you need shorts, we did find decent jersey ones at Justice in larger sizes (up to 20 was available). My girls have "outgrown" Justice in style, but do still like their basic tanks and jersey shorts. Now it's all about Hot Topic Doctor Who, Old Navy basics, and t-shirts from various sources, and retro style dresses.
I'm a 2 or so in old navy jeans or a 14/16 depending on the cut for girls.
Same with GAP. I don't find too much of a variance in quality. I buy the kids jeans when they're $10 a pair.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
JoyGal (03-13-2017), Quiteria (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 02:15 AM   #18
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post
I got her 2 tshirts at Walmart last week. She needs more and shorts.
Oooh, if it's tshirts and shorts you are shopping for I'd totally skip the juniors section entirely. I have found tshirts to be one of their lowest quality items -- the material is often paper thin! I don't get it. And the shorts are almost always crazy short shorts.

For tshirts if her length can accommodate I'd go directly to woman's. Or continue to look at the higher size ends of girls. Same with shorts. Thankfully both of my girls are in to the althetic look so for the most part their go to shorts are the typical basketball longer pull on style.

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I also want to say we accidentally found some boys' jeans that fit dd well. I think the only reason that dd accepted them is because someone had put them in the women's section by accident. But she tried them on and they were great. We didn't realize they were boys' until we went to buy them. They went by waist measurement instead of a size.
Sometimes boy clothing definitely does fit better. And very often the boys stuff is higher quality material than the girls. Drives me crazy. We have a harder time making any bottoms work for the girls but often their tshirts and sweatshirts are from the boys or mens section.

As a side note, yes girls jeans come in sizes boys come in waist measurement BUT not always. European and some higher end US jeans, and also now some knock off copies, also come in sizing that appears to be closer to how they size men's jeans. Just something to be aware of when you shop.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (03-13-2017), Quiteria (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #19
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

We'll have to look at the women's small or extrasmall for her.

It's also time for a new swim suit for her.( and me)
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #20
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

Kohls usually has a wide variety of styles for juniors. It is also possible to get some really fantastic deals there, especially end of the season online. So if you could get her to a Kohls store and try some sizes on, then you can watch online.
This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoyGal For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #21
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute
Default What size comes after girl's 16?

My DD can wear a 16 or a Juniors 0 so I would say a juniors 2 is what I would try. They are cut a little different, for curves, so the hip is larger than the waist, chest larger than the tummy. So if a girl is past 16 but not starting puberty changes yet at all, it may be better to look for an 18 at the stores that carry them.

Im lucky we have an Aeropostale outlet about 90 minutes away so I take DD there and we get jeans or shorts and tops for really good deals (way less than the mall store by the same name). I want to say I got her jeans for $7 a pair and tops for around $5 with the sales and coupon I had this fall. Anyway if you have an outlet mall with one of these it might be worth checking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

Last edited by AngelaVA; 03-13-2017 at 06:32 PM.
AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (03-13-2017), Llee (03-14-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #22
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
My DD can wear a 16 or a Juniors 0 so I would say a juniors 2 is what I would try. They are cut a little different, for curves, so the hip is larger than the waist, chest larger than the tummy. So if a girl is past 16 but not starting puberty changes yet at all, it may be better to look for an 18 at the stores that carry them.

Im lucky we have an Aeropostale outlet about 90 minutes away so I take DD there and we get jeans or shorts and tops for really good deals (way less than the mall store by the same name). I want to say I got her jeans for $7 a pair and tops for around $5 with the sales and coupon I had this fall. Anyway if you have an outlet mall with one of these it might be worth checking.

Good to know. She has no curves yet.

We looked online at Justice tonight for the sale items. The couple shirts she liked didn't have her size in the color she wanted.

We'll check Kohl's too. It's also time to start dropping in on Goodwill and Salvation Army to look for the good stuff. I've had a few great finds there, but have to stop in and look frequently.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #23
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

My oldest girl went from a 12 slim to a juniors 00. She needed the length, girls sizes were too short. My younger went from girls 16 to women's 4. The even sizes seem to fit curvier figures and the odd sizes for the more angly ones. I have one tall and lean hipped girl and one short and big bootied one.
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JessicaTX For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (03-14-2017), Quiteria (03-15-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 04:32 AM   #24
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realize that my daughter was developing until I noticed how poorly the 16's fit and how much better the 0's fit. She has a thinner build so it's not as noticeable I think. Worth experimenting with both clothing lines.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 04:58 AM   #25
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

There are so many different cuts of clothing available to juniors it's going to take some intention to find what works. No curves might work well in a boyfriend cut pant.

There is no smooth transition out of girls sizes. It's frustrating after years of being able to just pick up a size and have it be relatively ok.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #26
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

It is frustrating to work with that transition.
My shorter, rounder, slightly higher weight, more developed daughter wears a smaller size than her taller, less curvy, lighter weight sister. What, what?
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (03-15-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #27
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper View Post
There are so many different cuts of clothing available to juniors it's going to take some intention to find what works. No curves might work well in a boyfriend cut pant.

There is no smooth transition out of girls sizes. It's frustrating after years of being able to just pick up a size and have it be relatively ok.
It really is frustrating.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post: