Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:43 AM   #1
ServingGrace
Rose Blossom

ServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really nice
Default Dyslexia?

What supplement or intervention do you use for a dyslexic child? I believe my eight year old may be dyslexic so the charter wants to start an evaluation. The veal lasts six months of using either All About Reading or Verticy Reading. The after six months there is testing, a second intervention, then finally an IEP or diagnosis.
Has anyone used All Anout Reading or Verticy Reading? Which would you pick and why?
ServingGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dyslexia?

We used tons of curriculum but our sons issues go beyond dyslexia although it includes dyslexia.

As far as those two, I'm familiar All About Reading; however, it was an incomplete program when my ds was at that level so I used readers for review and reinforcement but they didn't have a full curriculum. I know people who have been happy with this curriculum for their dyslexic children.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
ServingGrace (02-21-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

All about reading is a good fit for dyslexia BC it is based on Orton-Gilligham. Here's a link with more info: https://homeschoolingwithdyslexia.com/resources/
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has dyslexia,as does my husband. You want the purest form of Orton-Gillingham you can get, and ideally with someone who is trained in it. That person could be you or another person (such as via webcam through a program called Lexercise) but training in OG is pretty crucial in some shape or form.
All about Reading is watered down Orton-Gillingham,but it has some benefits for sure. The second one I've never heard of. Susan Barton is another name worth looking up,I learned quite a bit from watching her videos but didn't use her curriculum.
I homeschooled my daughter for three years and she's in public school now.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 10:37 PM   #5
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Have you already had a developmental optometry screening done? If not, I would insist on having that be part of the eval (or take care of it on my own separately.) I'd want them to be looking for tracking and convergence issues, and also the possibility of Irlen syndrome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 04:38 AM   #6
ServingGrace
Rose Blossom

ServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara.I View Post
Have you already had a developmental optometry screening done? If not, I would insist on having that be part of the eval (or take care of it on my own separately.) I'd want them to be looking for tracking and convergence issues, and also the possibility of Irlen syndrome.
We have just had the yearly regular eye exam done. Would I have to specify to the optometrist the developmental optometry screening or is that just done?

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
All about reading is a good fit for dyslexia BC it is based on Orton-Gilligham. Here's a link with more info: https://homeschoolingwithdyslexia.com/resources/
Thanks I will try to read this. Page today.

---------- Post added at 07:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
We used tons of curriculum but our sons issues go beyond dyslexia although it includes dyslexia.

As far as those two, I'm familiar All About Reading; however, it was an incomplete program when my ds was at that level so I used readers for review and reinforcement but they didn't have a full curriculum. I know people who have been happy with this curriculum for their dyslexic children.
Thanks for the warning it might not be a fully complete curriculum. Does All about reading need all about spelling to be complete or is thee something lose missing?

---------- Post added at 07:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth1231 View Post
My daughter has dyslexia,as does my husband. You want the purest form of Orton-Gillingham you can get, and ideally with someone who is trained in it. That person could be you or another person (such as via webcam through a program called Lexercise) but training in OG is pretty crucial in some shape or form.
All about Reading is watered down Orton-Gillingham,but it has some benefits for sure. The second one I've never heard of. Susan Barton is another name worth looking up,I learned quite a bit from watching her videos but didn't use her curriculum.
I homeschooled my daughter for three years and she's in public school now.
I guess I will have to look into training myself. The charter school offers a fifteen minute to half hour online reading session a week. I have a feeling I have some work ahead of me...
ServingGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:42 AM   #7
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Two things
1 my son is 15 so AAR was not finished at the time we would've needed it
2 while I agree w Beth that AAR is "watered down" there are many types of dyslexia and for those with less severe dyslexia it may be enough
3 I strongly disagree OG is only way to go.

Here's a snippet into our situation. Ds was originally told he doesn't have dyslexia because his comprehension has always been off the roof. However as it turns out he has acquired dyslexia with both visual and audio logical processing disorders. The correct term is escaping my brain but this means he has a very odd type of phonological and visual dyslexia that was acquired by Brian trauma. For those w visual dyslexia, OG can be a great first step. My son had to start to remediate his phonological through intense phonological therapy befor he was able to start an OG program. He started w LiPS which is an audiologicap program that helps children actually hear the correct sound. Even LiPS and a full OG program were not enough. We used many many resources helping him successfully learn to decode. He's now 15 and on the very low end of "grade level" but he is to grade level.

Any training or help you can get is so helpful. I was trained in LiPS by our SLP. I self trained in OG when ds was ready for that. However his other issues beyond dyslexia meant many supplemental programs alongside OG.

The truth is that every child is so unique, it will depend on what they need from a curriculum. It's not a one size fits all situations.

That said, research indicates the best results with Lindamopd bell programs (LiPS is still there but they havepre options now) for phonological and Gullibgham or Barton are the best options for decoding success. When it comes to speed, fluency and spelling a lot of kids need continued remediation up to and sometimes through adulthood. For those there are many resources.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
ServingGrace (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 07:25 AM   #8
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When it comes to speed, fluency and spelling a lot of kids need continued remediation up to and sometimes through adulthood. For those there are many resources.
I want to reinforce this point. That it will keep getting better as you keep working on it. No one told me when I was struggling to read in elementary school and in in to highschool that it would ever get any easier. And it didn't for a very long time. I didn't reach true reading ( where you aren't sounding out every word) untill I was 20 and in my sophomore year at collage. I didn't get the true fluency untill I was 36 or so. I have just gotten to a fairly normal speed for an adult reading in the past year or so ( dh and early bird read faster than I do but I can make it through all the subtitle before they change now ).

Spelling well it is much much better than it was.Early bird still finds errors in what I write and I don't send emails to anyone other than close friends unless dh looks over it to check for homophones that I spell check can't help with.

Dyslexia makes things harder but not impossible.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
ServingGrace (02-22-2017), Sundance (06-28-2017), tempus vernum (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #9
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
I want to reinforce this point. That it will keep getting better as you keep working on it. No one told me when I was struggling to read in elementary school and in in to highschool that it would ever get any easier. And it didn't for a very long time. I didn't reach true reading ( where you aren't sounding out every word) untill I was 20 and in my sophomore year at collage. I didn't get the true fluency untill I was 36 or so. I have just gotten to a fairly normal speed for an adult reading in the past year or so ( dh and early bird read faster than I do but I can make it through all the subtitle before they change now ).

Spelling well it is much much better than it was.Early bird still finds errors in what I write and I don't send emails to anyone other than close friends unless dh looks over it to check for homophones that I spell check can't help with.

Dyslexia makes things harder but not impossible.
knitlove has been an enormous encouragement to me until she began sharing more of her life I didn't know these things

Old 02-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #10
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
knitlove has been an enormous encouragement to me until she began sharing more of her life I didn't know these things
Sonshine mama and knitlive and quiteria and several other moms with kids with dyslexia have lifted me up more times than I can count.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServingGrace View Post
We have just had the yearly regular eye exam done. Would I have to specify to the optometrist the developmental optometry screening or is that just done?
It depends on your optometrist, actually. Most cannot do a full developmental screen. You need either a COVD optometrist or an OEPF optometrist. At our clinic, one is certified. The other does a quick pre-screening for that type of issue, and would flag it for follow-up if he spotted issues. But many optometrists don't do ANYTHING about developmental screenings, and may not know how to even spot the flags.

A child can have perfect 20/20 vision and still have issues with other parts of how they see, so a regular optometrist visit may not be adequate.

Both COVD and OEPF have websites where you can search for an optometrist in your area. Hopefully you have one close by!

Now: Some of the vision issues get misdiagnosed as dyslexia, and treating the vision issues works wonders. It's important to note, though, that you can have vision issues *AND* dyslexia, so if vision issues are present, treating them won't necessarily make all reading issues vanish. But I do think it's important to rule out vision issues.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-22-2017), ServingGrace (02-22-2017)